Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Installed Weathertech side window visors

40K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  jasoncngo 
#1 · (Edited)
I ordered a set of Weathertech side window visors on 1/7, and they arrived yesterday, 1/13. I installed them today after watching the instructional video on the Weathertech web site. The instruction sheet that comes with the visors is good, but the video is much better in showing how to fit the visors properly. The install was a snap, and only took 15 minutes or so. I went with the light tint instead of the darker tint. In my opinion, the dark tint looks really good on a black RAV, but on a silver or white RAV I think the lighter tint looks pretty good:

See less See more
#4 ·
ginzero said:
I usually don't like window visors.. but those look nice!
I think they'll really come in handy this summer when I park in the hot sun. I can leave the windows cracked an inch or so for ventilation without worrying about a sudden rainstorm popping up. Which always happens when I leave my windows cracked. :)

#8 ·
I'm on the same fence, I would like to get these weathertech window visors since they look really nice compared to the ones I've seen on ebay. I see they're quoted at $99 for all four windows from the weathertech site. How much did you get them for and from where?

#9 ·
I ordered the 4-piece set directly from the Weathertech web site. They were $99 with $15 shipping. I looked all over the web and could not find them cheaper anywhere. Seems like nobody ever discounts them or puts them on sale.

The first day I installed them I had the problem with the auto-up window on the driver's side. The glass would go up and detect the visor as a blockage and would go back down. After carefully nudging the glass up bit by bit I got it to stay closed. Left it like that and 24 hrs. later the auto-up feature is working again just fine. The visor needs time to settle into place and a little warm sunlight seems to speed up that process.

#10 ·
Another thing I like about the Weathertech visors is they are very subtle. They have a low profile, and don't stick out much. They look like they belong on the car, not something that was tacked on later.

Somebody at my workplace has a Trailblazer with the official GM accessory visors. They are the stick-on variety and one on the driver's side rear door has already fallen off leaving the tape behind. Wonder how much the dealership charged him for those?

#11 ·
How is the wind noise? I have weathertechs on my Accord and they create a rushing wind -- almost a whistle -- around the area where the side view mirror is. I'm probably going to remove them as they are ANNOYING.

I've used weathertechs before but after my Accord experience, I hesitate...

#13 ·
kenn said:
How is the wind noise? I have weathertechs on my Accord and they create a rushing wind -- almost a whistle -- around the area where the side view mirror is. I'm probably going to remove them as they are ANNOYING.

I've used weathertechs before but after my Accord experience, I hesitate...
After the installation I took it for a test drive just for that reason. With the radio off, I was surprised to hear almost no wind noise. Don't hesitate to go with the Weathertechs on the RAV.

#14 ·
junebug1701 said:
After the installation I took it for a test drive just for that reason. With the radio off, I was surprised to hear almost no wind noise. Don't hesitate to go with the Weathertechs on the RAV.

That's pretty neat! I was thinking about that one too. You mentioned nudging up the glass bit by bit until it stay closed. Do you mean you brought the window up to the closed position forcefully using your hand? I wasn't aware toyota installs window glasses that automatically go back down when it detects an obstruction - thought only european cars had that.

#15 ·
noripwr said:
junebug1701 said:

That's pretty neat! I was thinking about that one too. You mentioned nudging up the glass bit by bit until it stay closed. Do you mean you brought the window up to the closed position forcefully using your hand? I wasn't aware toyota installs window glasses that automatically go back down when it detects an obstruction - thought only european cars had that.
No, I didn't push the window up by hand--I "bumped" it up with the button. If you push the button too far it goes up in auto mode--and will come back down if it hits an obstruction. Only the driver's window has this feature.

#16 ·
junebug1701 said:
noripwr said:
junebug1701 said:

No, I didn't push the window up by hand--I "bumped" it up with the button. If you push the button too far it goes up in auto mode--and will come back down if it hits an obstruction. Only the driver's window has this feature.
Yeah, when I got my RAV4 from the dealer when they installed the OEM window visors, they warned me about the same thing. It eventually disappeared after a while.

#17 ·
Girlfriend really wanted them for our black rav. I've never really liked them, but purchased them for the rav, the dark tints, and it looks factory. We went with the weathertech's, as well. Ive actually had compliments on them and they've proven pretty useful. I had some fitment issues on the front windows when I first got them. The driver's side was also damaged. After calling to complain, (we ordered them direct from weathertech, no better offer could be found, might as well order direct), they sent us out not only a new driver side but a new passenger side, as well. Not only were bothin perfect condition, but for some reason, I had no fitment issues with either side. No squeaking, no clunking, no anything since they've been 'set'.

#18 ·
I'm happy with the ones on mine. I've always used the stick on ones, but I hated them when they started getting lazy and making the front go over the mirror instead of tucking in under the mirror. That is the major thing I hated about the stick on ones that I've used.

The Weathertech ones don't give me any issues except I guess it's not warm enough here cause sometimes the window comes back down when I do the auto up even though I've had them on for a few months now.

#21 ·
#22 ·
Anybody have any fitment problems with the Weathertech's? I put a set on a year or so ago and, after they seated in, they were fine. But the other day with the driver's window down I heard a loud rattling sound, and it was the visor. The front and rear portions were tight, but the strip across the top-middle was loose and shaking in the channel. I wonder: The visors are held in by pressure from flex instead of glue, and perhaps after this amount of time the plastic has accommodated to the window shape and is no longer tight. Now I wish there were tape or glue on the visor. Ironic. At first they were too tight for the windows to go up. Now they are too loose and noisy. Guess I'll keep the windows up and use the air.

#23 ·
thedel said:
Anybody have any fitment problems with the Weathertech's? I put a set on a year or so ago and, after they seated in, they were fine. But the other day with the driver's window down I heard a loud rattling sound, and it was the visor. The front and rear portions were tight, but the strip across the top-middle was loose and shaking in the channel. I wonder: The visors are held in by pressure from flex instead of glue, and perhaps after this amount of time the plastic has accommodated to the window shape and is no longer tight. Now I wish there were tape or glue on the visor. Ironic. At first they were too tight for the windows to go up. Now they are too loose and noisy. Guess I'll keep the windows up and use the air.
You can call their customer service (or email them) and they should be able to send you the tape kit. I had to do this once. My rear window visor fell out. They have been holding well since.

#24 ·
SeriousBlack said:
thedel said:
You can call their customer service (or email them) and they should be able to send you the tape kit. I had to do this once. My rear window visor fell out. They have been holding well since.
My front ones had no tape from weathertech, but the back ones do for obvious reasons. Front ones work on flex pressure. I haven't had a single problem with any of them. The front ones aren't supposed to come with the tape though, I guess they could provide some tape for you at request.

#25 ·
Look great! Questions:

- In addition to the window ventshades, I'm also planning on getting a hood protector - should they both be black or does it matter that much ? (my Rav4 is Blizzard Pearl)

- I'm not going to be hauling many passengers - that being the case, are the back window shades necessary or does it look goofy without them?

#26 ·
spock said:
Look great! Questions:

- In addition to the window ventshades, I'm also planning on getting a hood protector - should they both be black or does it matter that much ? (my Rav4 is Blizzard Pearl)

- I'm not going to be hauling many passengers - that being the case, are the back window shades necessary or does it look goofy without them?
- I don't think you have a choice with the hood protector--it only comes in the dark tint.

- The back ones aren't totally necessary, but this time of year it's nice to be able to leave all 4 windows down a couple of inches for ventilation when parked in the sun. And you don't have to run outside to close them when a summer shower pops up. I think it looks more complete with all 4 installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.