chains for 4x4 - just for front tires or all 4 tires - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4two View Post
With the studless snows I used in the past, I'd swap them on and off our vehicles with each snow, and that was a hassle (but a good workout) just to keep the tires from wearing down when the roads were bare. To not have to worry about that AND to not have to worry about chains is just too nice.
Never heard of anyone taking off the winter tires off during winter season just to save the tire thread. That's extreme!

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I need to come up with some chains fast and I've seen references here to the SSC-Super Z6 (SZ429) that may be better when less clearance is available. I have a set of regular cable chains that I've never used but I'm thinking the Z6 may be better for my 2011 FWD RAV4.

Anybody have a suggestion on a better set of chains I should buy?
#23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 PM

Best chains are the alpine sport or alpine permuire diamond style chains. Goes on as easy as the "Z" chains. Do not fall off as easy as the "Z" chains. Roll smother...

Bill in Tahoe: A guide to Tire Chains

Since the 4wd RAV4 is priamrily a FWD car putting them on the front is reccomended. However the danger of putting them on the front brake induced oversteer. Notice that most spun out vehicles with chains on have them on the front. The senerio goes: going downhill, too fast, slam on brakes. The front grip the rear lock and slide, the ass of the car comes around, driver panics keeps foot on brake, soon the car is pointing backwards and they are spun out.

With chains on the front you have to be super vigilent with your brake application. If you feel the back start to slide: RELEASE the brake, allow the car to straighten up and reapply. If releasing the brake does not straighten out the car, hit the gas slightly, and this should straighten out the car. If this doesn't do it you will have to start counter steering, but by this time the average driver will have lost control of vehicles and the abilty to recover from a spin. Counter steer as much as you feel is within your ability with slight gas. Once you are 180 it is over and just hold the brakes down and pray!!

2012 4wd i4 3rd row
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrPulldown For This Useful Post:
Dmitri (12-27-2012), LBRAV4 (01-01-2013), pico (12-20-2012)
#24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 03:09 AM

Hi Mr.Pulldown, thank you for the snow chain notes.
What if we just put snow chains on all 4 tires? (I assume that would help)
Thank you.
#25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 AM

but,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Best chains are the alpine sport or alpine permuire diamond style chains. Goes on as easy as the "Z" chains. Do not fall off as easy as the "Z" chains. Roll smother...

Bill in Tahoe: A guide to Tire Chains

Since the 4wd RAV4 is priamrily a FWD car putting them on the front is reccomended. However the danger of putting them on the front brake induced oversteer. Notice that most spun out vehicles with chains on have them on the front. The senerio goes: going downhill, too fast, slam on brakes. The front grip the rear lock and slide, the ass of the car comes around, driver panics keeps foot on brake, soon the car is pointing backwards and they are spun out.

With chains on the front you have to be super vigilent with your brake application. If you feel the back start to slide: RELEASE the brake, allow the car to straighten up and reapply. If releasing the brake does not straighten out the car, hit the gas slightly, and this should straighten out the car. If this doesn't do it you will have to start counter steering, but by this time the average driver will have lost control of vehicles and the abilty to recover from a spin. Counter steer as much as you feel is within your ability with slight gas. Once you are 180 it is over and just hold the brakes down and pray!!
What about VSC?

"Don't tell me I'm in denial because I'm not!"

2008 Limited FWD V6
Pacific Blue
#26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM

From my experiance with the RAV4 on snowy roads the VSC does a great job on keeping the car straight. But this is without chains on and when I do not have the brakes applied. I have run four tires chains before; off roading deep snow in a tacoma, but it is a bit of over kill on the road. The spin out senerio I discribed is due primarly to speeding bad drivers.

Over the holidays I used my alpine sport chains on my truck. Long story short, I was able to drive up to 55mph with my chains on packed snow with only a rummbling. I did retighten them 3 times. They did not scratch my wheels or hit my wheel wells/fenders.

2012 4wd i4 3rd row
#27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies View Post

You shouldn't use chains or cables on the back of the RAV4 or you will possibly wreck your ABS wire harnesses: RAV4 ABS Cable Vulnerability

I can't say if this clearance problem was corrected on later models, but it exists on '06 and '07 trucklets. Take a look at your own vehicle to be sure if you contemplate cables or chains on the back.....!.
Thanks for that!
#28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

I been looking at these spike spider, sound easy to use compare to chains which I have. The web site is Spikes-Spider: Easier, Better than Tire Chains - Winter Driving
Attached Images
File Type: png spikes-spider-sport.png (67.1 KB, 8 views)

I believe in safety, education, and enforcement, not banning, ignorance, and blame.
#29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtalk View Post
I been looking at these spike spider, sound easy to use compare to chains which I have. The web site is Spikes-Spider: Easier, Better than Tire Chains - Winter Driving
$600 per pair!
#30 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 PM

I have the blizzaks on my car and they are enough for any weather I am willing to drive in, but there are times when the pass over the Siskiyous is closed except to vehicles with chains, so I carry them when I expect that might happen. When I lived in NorCal the CHP was using the Spike Spyders, and I figured if they are good enough for them....

The right one for our cars is the sport xxl and is $550/pr. on amazon.

I would happy to spend $600 to avoid crawling around in the snow and ice and taking a chance of doing serious damage to my new RAV. I used to travel back and forth between Cal and Tahoe, and broken chains have taken off paint on my vehicles and worse. With the Spyders you just put the adapter on the wheel, then when you need the chains you snap them on and when you drive off they adjust themselves. Taking them off is just as easy; snap it off, drive forward to get the lower fingers out from under the wheel, and drive off.

Besides, I paid $75 for these brand new at the thrift store.

I

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page