SUV Tires or Passenger Tires - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
SUV Tires or Passenger Tires

I am going to be in the market for new tires ... and wondered if we need to put SUV tires on the RAV4?

If the size, weight, speed are right for passenger tires -- wont they work? They appear to be less expensive ... is there a safety factor?

In particular, can the goodyear assurance tripletred be used instead of the Fortera TripleTred? What is the difference?

Bob H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, you can use passenger tires. No difference except maybe speed rating and tread design/bigger tread studs/grooves on SUV tires.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Just make sure to check load capacity. Basically passenger tires on SUV's is similar to minivan tires. Don't expect too much.

Cars, snowboarding, house modding.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

I personally wouldn't switch away from the Light Truck / SUV class of tires. The tires are very much a part of the suspension system and the truck tires are designed a bit differently to better handle the higher center of gravity vs passenger tires. I think some have switched here to different passenger class tires, but just be careful on what you choose. I once put those same tires on my Maxima (Goodyear Assurance Triple-Tread, passenger all-season class rather than high-performance all-season per OE specs) and the handling became so awful that the car was almost undriveable.

Steve
12 BMW X5d (on order)
11 BMW 335cic
02 Highlander Ltd V6 AWD
07 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD (SOLD!)
99 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd (Sold)
01 Honda Accord EX V6 (rip)
#5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:49 AM

car versus SUV tires

A tire expert told me the usual difference was a thinker (more rigid) sidewall on the SUV tires... also sometime an extra 1/8 inch of tread depth...

I upgraded my Honda Element to SUV tires (BF Goodrich Long Trails), and it drove way better, especially cornering and riding over rough roads..... I suspect the RAV will be the same... I'll never go back to car tires...

That's my 2 cents worth..

Clunie

PS: 5 more days until I pick up my baby!
#6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Since Bob asked specifically about the Fortera TripleTred versus the Assurance TripleTred, let's look at those tires without all the conjecture and generalizations...

I'm guessing that you're looking at 235/65-17 since you have a Limited, and the Assurance doesn't seem to be available in 225/65-17. Both tires have identical speed and load ratings (104H). The Fortera has 1/32" more tread depth when new (12/32" versus 11/32"), and weighs one pound more than the assurance (34# versus 33#). This tells me that the Fortera, while it might have a carcass design that's more in line with 'truck' tires, isn't substantially beefier than the Assurance. The Fortera does seem to have some extra sidewall 'reinforcements' (actually they're mostly to keep you from tearing a sidewall on rocks or, more likely, curbs) and a deeper rim protector that more than likely account for the entire weight difference. The Fortera's biggest advantage is that it's actually rated as a winter tire- this means that it had to meet a real (not theoretical) performance standard in an ASTM-specified test. This can translate into a detriment in the real world, though, since it means (and you can see by looking at the tires) that the Fortera has a lot more siping that results in less stable tread blocks. The Assurance has an almost 25% higher UTQG wear rating (740 versus 600), so all things being equal, you should expect to see about 25% more life out of the Assurance. I'd expect the grip level to be pretty comparable, since the friction you lose with the harder compound in the Assurances would be offset by increased tread stability. That's really what this decision comes down to- do you run dedicated winter tires? ...or do you not care that much about winter driving? If so, you'd probably be happier with the smoother, quieter characteristics and longer life (not to mention the lower cost) of the Assurance. If you plan to run these tires year-round in South Dakota, I'd definitely pick the Forteras.

Now for my own personal opinion- I wouldn't run either of these tires, or any other directional tire, on a RAV4. In my experience, there's a real benefit to being able to do a cross-car rotation, and you can't do that with directional tires. I bought a matching Limited aluminum wheel, so I can do a five-tire rotation. The wheel has already paid for itself in the first set of replacement tires that I've run on the RAV4 due to spreading the tire life out over an extra tire.

If I put a bee in your bonnet with my rant against directional tires and you want to go looking for something else, don't sweat over what the marketing people want to call the tires. If two tires have similar load and speed ratings, UTQG wear rating, tread depth, and weight, they're most likely going to be comparable, regardless of whether they're called 'SUV tires' or 'Grand Touring' tires.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:45 PM

The economic rationale for rotating 5 tires is weak. The most you can save over the entire lifetime of the vehicle is the cost of 1 tire (i.e., the spare tire that you have used). Generally speaking, rotating 5 tires means you get 25% longer life out of a set of tires, but then you have to buy 5 new tires instead of 4, which costs 25% more $$$.

The real reason (in my mind) to rotate 5 tires is that you will always have a spare in comparable condition to the tires on your vehicle. If you need to replace a single tire, you can put the spare into full-time service directly and not worry about having mis-matched tires.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Uhhh
Let's think about this 5 tire rotation.

1) If you 5 tire rotate, you will need to buy a matching rim (well at least on Limited)
2) Directional tires are out
3) There's more money savings by doing 4 wheels vs 5 wheels. Labor is PER TIRE so there's no real benefit either way. Now you might get discounts for "buy 3 get 1 free" or "save $60 on 4 tires, you are at a financial disadvantage for buying 5 at a time.
4) You do spend less time at the tire shop for 5 vs 4. Let's face it, most tire shops aren't like quick lube and just walking in and getting a mechanic to start right away is not very probable.
5) Might be somewhat safer with 5 tires. Tire is rubber and does have a "life" so if you own your car for over 10 years, you may want to think about replacing that 5th wheel at least once.

Cars, snowboarding, house modding.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Not that it's really germane to the original question posed in this thread, but I just wanted to point out that there were extenuating circumstances during the lifetime of my tires (mainly a screw on the road and a piece of filth who sideswiped my vehicle and destroyed one of my tires) that made it a lot more economically beneficial to be doing a five-tire rotation. But yes, normally the main benefit is just that you'll always have an equally-worn spare ready to go. That doesn't change the fact that I've been able to correct feathering on my treads by switching the tires cross-car, which is something I couldn't have done with directional tires.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

If I had been doing 5 tire rotations then I could have gotten probably another 5-10k miles out of my last set of tires. One of them got "nailed" also. Didn't want to have 3 75% worn tires and 1 new one. Bad for differentials also. As it turns out getting 4 fresh tires was probably a very good idea, because of the historic snowfall in the DC area this past winter. If I did my own tire rotations I'd do 5 tire rotations.

Steve
12 BMW X5d (on order)
11 BMW 335cic
02 Highlander Ltd V6 AWD
07 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD (SOLD!)
99 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd (Sold)
01 Honda Accord EX V6 (rip)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page