Where can I tie down my Kayak - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Where can I tie down my Kayak

I've read through the other posts here on tying down a kayak but I'm confused.

I don't have a tow hook in the front. I see mention of a tool kit. What is that? Where do I find it? I know - look in my owners manual right. It's thundering and lightning out now LOL.

(EDIT - It's stopped thundering so I went out and looked around. Found the tow hook. That thing is huge. How do I put it on? Does it just screw to that metal piece behind the front bumper with a big hole in the middle?)

Also, where can I tie it down on the back? Everything is plastic!

I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow and went through the steps to learn how to tie it to my kayak rack (Yakima) and hook everything up thinking everything I need is already built onto my car! I was surprised to find no tow hook! And no simple place to tie it to the back either!

Suggestions? Ideas?

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,150 Times in 829 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know if these are kayaks, but this guy got a second tow hook and secured them with ropes to the front. Looks like he strapped them to the roof rack and there's no ropes in back. Looks pretty secure to me:

[img]/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=10779[/img]

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 11:59 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I saw that picture and said wow that's cool. And that makes it seem like I might be able to get 2 on mine too. But I always see them tied down on both ends and I'll be going down a highway so I want it as tied down as possible.

Linda
#4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Why not loop the rope under the spare? A towel could be used to keep the rope from abrading the cover. Or remove the cover and loop around the tire or the mount.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 04:08 PM

With a proper set of kayak cradles or an upright rack, you should NOT need to tie the stern down. The only reason you tie the bow down is due to the high wind (streaming up off the windshield) trying to lever the hull up off the crossbars. The back of the vehicle is a low pressure area.... no problem there.

If you tie it down in back, you won't be able to access anything in the cargo area, except through the rear passenger doors. That would be a PITA.

For a single kayak I would use twin tow eyebolts in the front bumper, center the boat on the roof and run one line to each eyebolt. That will really stabilize the kayak.

You will need to acquire another eyebolt - a junkyard would be a fine source. Your trucklet only came with one.

John E Davies
Spokane WA USA
#6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 09:41 PM

If you are getting the kayak from a dealer, they will help you secure it to your roof racks. yakama makes kayak specific cradles that can be fitted to your roof racks with a few parts. if you go to their site you can plug in your vehicle and it will show you what parts are needed. I got mine from Rack Warehouse and they will help you as well. Of course this doesn't help you for your short fused situation. the stock racks, I think are good for 300 pounds, so no worries there. Use cam straps that loop under the rack crossmembers and then buckle on the hull. tighten them only enough to eliminate play. The drill on the bow and stern lines is that the bow line should go from the bow to the car and should ideally fasten to the car more rearward so that it prevents forward movement. the nylon loops with a brass gromet on them are good for this, you open the hood, remove a bolt on the fender line and bolt them down. when in use you flip them up between the fender and the hood and when not in use you fold them down and they are not visible. The stern line should fasten at the stern and slant forward to fasten to the car thereby keeping the kayk from sliding aft. Both bow and stern line should be taut but not heavily tensioned. Good luck

Regards,
Mike
#7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM

"the bow line should go from the bow to the car and should ideally fasten to the car more rearward so that it prevents forward movement" - This is good advice.
However on the RAV4 it's not usually possible. As you can see in the photo of a previous entry above even long kayaks do not extend beyond the bumper. I have a 17' 7" sea kayak and it doesn't extend beyond the hood, but extends 4 feet out over the rear. The OEM rack crossbars can only be spaced about 26" apart, front to rear, and the proper location for strapping your kayak to the rack is at its strongest points with the cockpit somewhat centered between the crossbars. See the link below or my album if it doesn't work.

http://rav4world.com/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=8930
#8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:41 AM

The drill on the bow and stern lines is that the bow line should go from the bow to the car and should ideally fasten to the car more rearward so that it prevents forward movement. the nylon loops with a brass gromet on them are good for this, you open the hood, remove a bolt on the fender line and bolt them down. when in use you flip them up between the fender and the hood and when not in use you fold them down and they are not visible. The stern line should fasten at the stern and slant forward to fasten to the car thereby keeping the kayk from sliding aft.

Reasonable advice, but like the last poster, I prefer the bow line to attach forward on the vehicle (which it usually does with the Rav4 anyway). This geometry generally does a better job of keeping the bow from lifting up than if the bow line is attached further back. This will end up keeping the boat from sliding backward on the vehicle. With that in mind, I usually attach a stern line so that it attaches to the vehicle further back than the attachement point on the kayak. This then keeps the kayak from sliding forward on the vehicle. To do this, the forward attachment point can be right on the bow of the kayak (using the grab loops) but the rearward attachment needs to be on something else (e.g., deck lines on a kayak, seat or thwart on a canoe).

I am a big fan of using straps attached to the fender bolts (i.e., inside the engine compartment). This keeps the attachment points nice and close to the bow of the boat(s).
#9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM

I did qualify it with an "ideally" realizing that it is not always possible to run the lines that way. Safeman, in your picture the below link would make it possible to tie it as I describe if you put the loops along the fenders near the windscreen. there are other links on that site which show store bought loops with grommets peened in. Most of my hauling is on an S10 with a Yakama rack system with gunwale brackets. In truth I run my bow line forward as well. I don't have to worry much about fore and aft movement because the gunwale brackets are tight against the gunwales. the fatter center of the canoe can't slide past the brackets fore or aft, so really keeping it clamped down to the rack is the main goal. I have great confidence in the rack system though but recognize that it is not the optimum situation. On the Rav, with its racks being much closer spaced, I would try to do as I describe in my initial post.

People tie them down in all sorts of ways, and make it to their destinations with no problems. Many too are the tales of kayaks that went airborn and hit another car and or were destroyed on the road. Studied on the issue quite a bit, have hashed it over with many a paddler and am comfortable with my method. I think that with a bit of common sense and quality gear checked frequently you should be fine even if not optimum. A lot of the wisdom on tying down as I describe I think comes from using after market racks. lots of pictures of destroyed canoes and kayaks laying along the side of the road with the roof rack firmly attached. Good luck.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...e-Tie-down-tip

Regards,
Mike
#10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:22 PM
kb

I always tie both the bow and stern of my yaks, but Im NOT a fan of the under the hood straps as Ive seen lots of paint worn off from them rubbing in the wind. I tie off around my brush guard in the front, and my hitch in the back.

kb

If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page