Tire pressure warning light - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire pressure warning light

My TP warning light cam on the other day. I checked the pressure, tires were at 30.5 psi. Upped the pressure to 32 psi, but the light is still on. Is the pressure still too low? What's the procedure to turn the light off, besides removing the bulb or a piece of black tape?. :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Did you check the spare?

To The BlackMobile!!!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:09 AM
avs
Advanced Member

32 psi hot or cold? During the winter, I would up the air pressure to at least 35 psi hot.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBlack
Did you check the spare?
+1. That's usually the culprit.

Cars, snowboarding, house modding.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Re: Tire pressure warning light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladder13
My TP warning light cam on the other day. I checked the pressure, tires were at 30.5 psi. Upped the pressure to 32 psi, but the light is still on. Is the pressure still too low? What's the procedure to turn the light off, besides removing the bulb or a piece of black tape?. :P
It looks like these sensors alarm at about 30 PSI, but won't reset again until they reach 35 PSI.

If you want to run at 32 PSI ( according to the door sticker ) you may need to inflate them to 35 PSI and then slowly drop the pressure back to 32 PSI.

You should also be checking them during the coldest part of the day, before driving the vehicle. At this time of year the temperatures can change quite a bit throughout the day, resulting in a couple of PSI difference from early morning until mid afternoon.

You should also check the spare as some others have said.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 03:57 PM

(Thread Starter)
Didn't know the spare had a sensor, will check it.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:56 PM

I've never checked my spare...and just recently my warning light came on. Sure enough the spare tire was the culprit.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 01:07 AM

I'm quite happy to have a pressure sensor in the spare. It's a pain-in-the-ass to pull off the cover just to check the pressure (I do it about once a year), so it is nice to have a warning light if the pressure gets low.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 PM

I had my TPMS light come on a couple of weeks ago when my area had its first cold snap. With the cold air, the road tires had dropped to the high 20's and the spare was in the mid-20's. I simply inflated the road tires to 32psi and the spare to 35psi.

Note that even after the tires are properly inflated, it takes a few minutes for the TPMS light to to off (it states this in the owner's manual).
#10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 02:59 PM

This just happened to me. The light came on last night. I pulled over and jumped out in the biting cold to make sure none of them were going flat. They were not. I drove home. This morning, on my way to work, I drove to the neighborhood service station and checked my fronts, which looked slightly lower than the rears. They were both at 30. I checked my door and it says 32. So I put air in them and checked it. It took a few tries as I either put too much or not enough in. LOL I am not a fan of checking tire pressure as it seems way to easy to over fill and then, you need to let some out and you check again and it is low. I ended up leaving them around 34 as I could not get it at 32. I did not have time to pull of the spare cover this morning and driving to work, the light did not go off. So tonight I will check the back tires too and read how to pull the spare cover and check it.

Why would the spare lose air so fast? I've had the Rav for 2 months. I do not claim to be highly knowledgeble but I'm not an idiot either. I was married for 13 years to a good man who loves to rebuild old cars (32-40 vintage) and learned a lot when I'd help him bleed brakes, pull parts, etc. It would make sense that the tires running on the road will be effected by weather, traction, miles, etc. But I guess I am surprised that the spare would be low, if that is it, so quickly. Do tires lose air that quickly, that are not running on the road?

Also, since I was cursing the little tire pressure valve this morning with my fingers not so nimble in the cold, anyone recommend a good brand/model that is accurate and easy to use? I find that to my untrained hands, the basic ones, with the little white stick that pops out, to be hard to use without letting too much air out. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I don't want to call the dear exH as I don't like to bug him, though he is always willing to answer my questions. He didn't want to get out of my Rav when I drove to his house on Christmas ;-) He has a Tundra and loves it.

thanks for your thoughts. If the light doesn't go off after I check the rear and spare tonight, I'll call my dealer.

michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page