Adding Drl? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Adding Drl?

is it possible to add Drl on a 06?
night102 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gbcue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,188
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Gbcue Send a message via MSN to Gbcue Send a message via Yahoo to Gbcue
Aftermarket, yes.

From factory, no.

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited V6 4WD Auto - Pacific Blue Metallic - Leather - Tow Prep - Trailer Hitch
-- OEM Hood Deflector -- Upgraded Horn -- LED Interior Lighting, Backup, and License Plate -- Yakima Roof-Mounted Bike Rack --

Gbcue is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:20 AM
avs
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,362
Thanks: 14
Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There's always a module you can put it in. I don't know if it's plug and play though.
avs is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Your Humble Administrator
 
JuneBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 9,932
Thanks: 63
Thanked 1,002 Times in 725 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
It's only a $40 option on the window sticker, so there can't be that much to it. I know there are 3 relays in the circuit.

James
__________________

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"


JuneBug is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Junior Member
 
dimaqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 26
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2011 is just one relay AFAIK, if your 06 has same socket, I guess you could just plug it in :P Although 2011 also comes with a light sensor under the windscreen, if you don't have that, then surely 2011 way is out of the question.

This forum has repair manuals in a sticky thread, should not be hard to figure it out.
dimaqq is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Member
 
junkun13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to junkun13
any drl pics?

Every Star That I See Is Brighter Than The Last
junkun13 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I understand that DRL goes through the high beams, right?(with reduced power or sth...)

I have an European version of Rav4 and low beams turn on with ignition starts.

Is it possible for me to activate DRL on high beams?
otic is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 67
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimaqq View Post
2011 is just one relay AFAIK, if your 06 has same socket, I guess you could just plug it in :P Although 2011 also comes with a light sensor under the windscreen, if you don't have that, then surely 2011 way is out of the question.

This forum has repair manuals in a sticky thread, should not be hard to figure it out.
I have the light sensor under the windshield. According to the 2007 repair manual there are three DRL relays.

I have a 07 Limited. I do not have DRLs.

Has anybody succeeded in adding DRLs? Is it as simple as putting in the three relays and enjoying the DRLs or is there more to this?
Legion is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rickl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,148
Thanks: 7
Thanked 85 Times in 72 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legioona View Post
I have the light sensor under the windshield. According to the 2007 repair manual there are three DRL relays.

I have a 07 Limited. I do not have DRLs.

Has anybody succeeded in adding DRLs? Is it as simple as putting in the three relays and enjoying the DRLs or is there more to this?
I just downloaded the 2007 wiring diagrams to make sure I was looking at the same thing as you.

According to the diagrams the normal high beams would not operate properly if any of the 3 relays were missing. I cannot find anything in the drawings that shows any optional wiring for cars sold without DRL's.

Based on the diagrams I suspect all RAV's are wired the same way, and the DRL's are controlled by a signal from the ECM. Perhaps this is an option that can be turned on and off with the Techstream software,

Have you done a physical inspection to see if these relays are missing from your RAV4?

Rick L Ontario Canada
2008 Silver RAV4 Limited V6 4WD
Rickl is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 67
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickl View Post
I just downloaded the 2007 wiring diagrams to make sure I was looking at the same thing as you.

According to the diagrams the normal high beams would not operate properly if any of the 3 relays were missing. I cannot find anything in the drawings that shows any optional wiring for cars sold without DRL's.

Based on the diagrams I suspect all RAV's are wired the same way, and the DRL's are controlled by a signal from the ECM. Perhaps this is an option that can be turned on and off with the Techstream software,

Have you done a physical inspection to see if these relays are missing from your RAV4?
Thanks Rickl. There is an option for DRL that can be turned on and off with Techstream but it was set to ON (apparently default).

I have not yet done a physical inspection but that sounds like a good next step. The car is outside now and covered by snow so the inspection will have to wait a bit though...
Legion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome