Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

RAV 4 Aftermarket Wheel Info...

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  phantomdg 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm creating this thread for those that want to push the limits of installing big rims on a RAV4. I tried 20's, 22's and 24's on my '07 RAV4 before realizing that the 22's were best suited for looks and clearance. All the rims that I tried were Asanti's. First I tried the 20's which looked smaller than the factory 18" wheels due to the 4" lip on the wheels which give the appearance of a smaller rim. Note that the factory 18" wheel is flat with no lip which looks big. The tires on the 20's looked too thick and I was trying to stay close to the 28.17" overall ride height of the factory 18's with 235/55-18's. Next up I tried the 22" Asantis. I first tried a 22x10.5" rim with a 42 offset on the rear and it rubbed the frame on the inside of the wheel well. I tried 5mm wheel spacers but then it was sticking out past the fender. The RAV 4 simply cannot take a rim larger than 10" wide in the rear without altering the frame. I then installed a 22x10 on the rear with a 38 offset and 4" lip. This was a very good look but still the wheels sat just a hair under from being even with the rear fenders so I opted to go with 22x10 with a 33 offset and 295/30-22 tires and THAT my friends is a perfect fit for the RAV4 Sport. Up front I went with a 22x8.5 at a 40 offset and 2" lip which was perfect alongside 265/35-22 tires. The ride height is a hair taller than stock but not noticeable while driving. The 24" Asantis were so big in the fender wells that my tire was too short for the streets of Washington, DC so I immediately scrapped that idea. Ultimately I hope to save someone lots of time wasted trying stuff that wont fit while successfully quenching the thirst of those like myself who demand the ultimate in wheel selection.

See less See more
#2 ·
Any pics of the final result?

#4 ·
I like this idea, there have been similar threads for other vehicles I've owned and really helps when you go to select a wheel. You can also use the data to make a good estimate on what other options will work that haven't been tried yet.

I know for me I'm not AS concerned with going with a bigger wheel, I want to find that happy medium for a big wheel, and possibly a bigger tire too, to get a bit of a cross between a truck/offroad look and street look without modifying the suspension.

#5 ·
Your front tires are a few percent larger than your rears. Don't know if this makes any long term difference in wear of the awd components or not. Also, with a wider tire on the rear and a distinctly front weight bias, you're going to have a lot of understeer at the traction limits.

#6 ·
Traction limits? This is hardly a performance based vehicle so I rarely take turns at speed. Granted, my new wheel setup is heavier to the feel than the stock 18's but it feels more planted in turns than the old school 55 series tires that came on it.

#7 ·
But you might hit traction limits if you have to make an emergency evasive maneuver, and if it's serious understeer then that might not be what you're expecting.

#9 ·
You should have no rubbing. I have run 20 × 9.5 rims with 30mm offset wrapped in 255/40/20 on all 4 corners and plenty of clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.