RAV4 Rear Wheel Camber... - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
RAV4 Rear Wheel Camber...

Just about all the RAV4's that I've seen have a negative camber while riding along. There have been a number of posts concerning this but no real solutions. I called my local dealer and apparently there is an adjustable item called the RAV4 Rear Alignment Camber/Toe Lateral Link. It sells for $100 and I wanted to know if anyone has tried it? I may give it a try because I can see premature tire wear coming if I continue to drive the truck like it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,150 Times in 829 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyzworld View Post
Just about all the RAV4's that I've seen have a negative camber while riding along. There have been a number of posts concerning this but no real solutions. I called my local dealer and apparently there is an adjustable item called the RAV4 Rear Alignment Camber/Toe Lateral Link. It sells for $100 and I wanted to know if anyone has tried it? I may give it a try because I can see premature tire wear coming if I continue to drive the truck like it is.
Negative camber would cause more wear on the inside edge of the tire? What exactly is that lateral link? Do you have a part number?

I just got my alignment done at the dealership a couple of weeks ago, and I asked for the spec sheet to see what was done. Here's what it says:

Camber Rear Left
Actual: -1.3deg Before: -1.1deg Specified Range: -1.8 to -0.3deg

Camber Rear Right
Actual: -1.5deg Before: -1.4deg Specified Range: -1.8 to -0.3deg

Cross Camber Rear
Actual: 0.2deg Before: 0.3deg Specified Range: -0.5 to 0.5deg

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,150 Times in 829 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Here's a Scion with SEVERE negative camber:

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

James, the dealer ADDED negative camber?

Both my wife and I drive our Rav pretty quickly around corners, so when I had my alignment done, I was satisfied with 1.1 and 1.2 degrees negative camber. Our wear is pretty even across the inner two-thirds, but there is still a bit more wear on the outside shoulder, which I'm more than happy to live with. If I were to have more negative, I'm sure that handling would start to suffer.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM

(Thread Starter)
I want for the rear tires to sit flat like the fronts and from what I have read there is no way to achieve this without an aftermarket camber kit. I guess because the RAV4 has independent suspension in the rear there is no adjustment available.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 AM

These post are pretty old. Has anyone found the parts needed to correct Negetive Camber on the rear wheels of an 05 Toyota Rav4 4WD?? My has -1.8 and -1.4 repectively Left and Right rear. Anyone??
#7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Is it better to have Camber set to -0.3, -1.8 or in the middle aound -1.1? I would like to do an alignment when I get my new tires (may be next year) and get all my setting ideally right in the middle.

Is this what is recommended for daily drivers for maximum tread life and reasonable handling ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Negative camber would cause more wear on the inside edge of the tire? What exactly is that lateral link? Do you have a part number?

I just got my alignment done at the dealership a couple of weeks ago, and I asked for the spec sheet to see what was done. Here's what it says:

Camber Rear Left
Actual: -1.3deg Before: -1.1deg Specified Range: -1.8 to -0.3deg

Camber Rear Right
Actual: -1.5deg Before: -1.4deg Specified Range: -1.8 to -0.3deg

Cross Camber Rear
Actual: 0.2deg Before: 0.3deg Specified Range: -0.5 to 0.5deg

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tszze1 View Post
These post are pretty old. Has anyone found the parts needed to correct Negetive Camber on the rear wheels of an 05 Toyota Rav4 4WD?? My has -1.8 and -1.4 repectively Left and Right rear. Anyone??
Might want to try the 4.2 forums for a 2005...your part numbers are going to be different even if they do exist for a third gen.

~Steve in Minnesota
08 Base V6 AWD Silver

"By day two of our four-day drive, no one knew which vehicles would finish in second through eighth places. Yet everyone knew where the Toyota [RAV4] would finish." - Car and Driver SUV comparison test, January 2010
#9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 10:48 AM

Rear Camber on the Ragged Edge

Sorry for the long story, but some specifics are necessary before I ask the question.

The rear camber (particularly on the right) on our 2009 RAV4 Limited has gotten progressively worse since the vehicle was purchased in December 2008. We purchased a lifetime alignment agreement from Firestone at around 10,000. The odometer now reads just over 80,000. The vehicle has had a 4 -wheel alignment, along with tire balance and rotation, performed every 5,000 miles. The printouts of the final specs of each alignment performed indicate the progressive worsening on the rear camber. We took the RAV to the dealer, showed them the printouts, and they changed a suspension arm and both shocks for free. That action was performed about 15,000 miles ago. The new parts brought the rear camber back into specs, but no where close to 0.00. Now the rear camber is now again on the ragged edge, sitting at -1.7 unloaded. With the vehicle on the alignment rack, a 200 - lb. person can hang off of the trailer hitch and move the rear camber to -2.0 or more. I can only assume that loading the vehicle with 4 adults and/or connecting a trailer would move the specs more into the negative range. With a range of -1.7 to 0.3, the optimal setting should be -1.0. At this point, I'd be happy with -1.1 to -1.4, just to get off the edge.

So, the questions are:
How many of you on this forum have experienced this problem?
Does Toyota have a fix in the works for this problem?

Last edited by abuela77; 10-03-2013 at 12:25 AM.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 02:25 PM

What was replaced in the rear susp. and was anything found bad, this the first step to diagnose this. Unless the mounting points on the subframe were bent or damaged this should not happen. If this has returned, something is moving, loose or worn that they missed. Without onsite inspection up on a rack this really cannot be diagnosed from here. When you got the final printout last time what was the the thrust angle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page