Fog or Driving lights for 2012 Rav4 not from kits. - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What model/year is your RAV?

I added the SW audio buttons to my 2008 base Rav4. I needed to upgrade by Clockspring too. If your RAV4 is 2009+, there is a good chance that you can upgrade while keeping the clockspring.

You can get the fog lights + non-OEM switch for a little more than $73. The installation will also be simpler since you do not have to mess with the clockspring. Do you really want the original Toyota look?

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
my is 2009 base and today I'm gonna order SW controls with bluetooth in case I can later make it working with aftermarket dvd gps unit (hopefully) and about fog lights there is a lot of posts here about moisture buildup problems and water coming into the lens on ebay off oem style very cheap kits so I decide to try to avoid that kind of problems to find the real toyota oem lights, lens and hook it up with aftermarket wiring and switch but it's not gonna be anything less then $300 so finally I've ordered the whole oem style kit by krameraccessories.com for about $90 incl. shipping. It's still kind of cheap for a good quality kit but I'll try and report later. the toyota switch that I was talking about is nice think since it doesn't occupy an empty slot next to dimmer so you can use that space (two empty switch place) to hook up some other think like dual USB charger for my ipad3 (it requires minimal 2.1amp) of interior lighting. but I think I'll skit that toyota switch sindse there is no guarantee that it will work.
#23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

The newer Ebay kits are fine. I have them; no moisture problem. However you can also get OEM online for about $150.

"I can later make it working with aftermarket dvd gps unit (hopefully)" - I've done this with a Chinese DVD/GPS unit.

You have enough empty slots that can still have the fog light button and more spare slots to play around.

I spent months hunting down used SW controls ... and then 1 ended up with 2 sets! I already sold my extra set. If you are persistent, you will find a set that comes up every other week. You will want to get one with the Display button since you have the functionality alrea.idy in your RAV

My Display button is currently not hooked up ( i have a 2008). Gotta get creative and find what I can do with it.

#24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 PM

Nice job your SW, are you using the bluetooth buttons or are they just for decoration? I ordered the swc with bt today for $206 all-in and and fog light kits from here and I asked if I could get an extra fog light switch and he sad that many people are asking for it and he has a outstanding order from chine and sometime after christmas he sad will be available from him, so I will get then four of therm. are you happy with your dvd/gps unit? is it bright enough in a sunny day? there are more and more those kind of units for around $350 and up to $1500. I want one with option to play video mp4 files from ipod or memory card (SD-card probably) and the usb jack to be on rear panel so that I can reroute it to the upper glove comp. and be able to install my own navigation app like Navigon that I'm using now on my iPad3, I have see a lots of buildin gps soft but most of them are not as nice looking and feature rich as Navigon, it shows you the posted speed and if you drive faster that posted speed it warns you with a beep, very handy feature. today I even came a cross a more expensive unit like this. Can you tell me what to look for in those units and if any of them can use swc bluetooth buttons?
Thanks,
#25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

BlueTooth buttons (start/stop call) are connected to my Henhao (Chinese) unit. I use Voice Command button as ... Mute!

I am using IGO Primo 2. Pretty rich in functionality.

With most of the Chinese units you can connect the SW buttons directly, no extra harness needed. Most of them do NOT allow voice dial through the unit like the Toyota BT.
Check the Henhao thread for reviews on that unit. Others are happy with the RoadRover. Others are buying Myron Davis units which are currently on sale on Ebay. Lots to choose from, just do some research on the forums.

#26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 PM

thanks for the info about bluetooth & dvd unit henhao, how did you connect the bluetooth buttons to the unit? are they just plug & play or did you modify the harness? I will definattly research that henhao before buying any unit, is sounds very attractive. by the way I'm making small tutorials about all the mods I'm gonna do and will post them here for newbies.

I have manuals of different parts of rav4 from 2006 & up and I think there should be someone interested in so here is the link, it's zipped as 7z.
#27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Are they different than the links posted on JuneBug's profile?

#28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 AM

I don't know about the links on JuneBug's profile but these are separate pdf files categorized into folders, they are a lot but not all of the available manuals of different part of rav4's & zipped as 7z bcz it's little smaler then zip
#29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Your 2009 base has the correct clockspring. I am not sure if you have the wires.
You will have to check the bottom of your clockspring (just take the panels around the steering wheel column off) and see if you have 3 wires going to the radio. You can also look at the radio harness and figure out if the pins are occupied.

#30 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 AM

Those tree wires are for the controls right? But what about the bluetooth wires? I liked your setup of bluetooth buttons but do I have to run my own wires for the the (start/stop call) to the henhao or any other unit or you are using one of the axxecc boxes?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page