recommended winter tires for 2011 base - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any experience with Cooper Arctic Claw? Seeing a decent set of these on Craigslist but wouldn't buy without some sense of what I'd be getting into. I really want the Hakkapelliita R but they never come up used and I'd also like to save some cash if I could... those R's are not cheap.

Update: I'm seeing a review that's not so hot.
http://www.marathonauto.com/tires/sn...s-reviews.html

Last month I did score a nice set of Gislaved Nord Frost for my Subaru but I don't expect to luck out again.

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Update
My local pro tire shop quotes me $744 for set of Hakka R installed. And $783 for set of Gislaved NordFrost 5 installed.

So much for the theory of Gislaveds being less expensive than the Nokians!

225/65 R17

#23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 PM

I bought the then-current Hakkapeliita for my 2005 prius, which needs all the help in can get in maximizing traction, three years ago and was very impressed at both its snow and dry road handling and traction. However, they wore very quickly, even for snow tires. I have run Gislavids in the past and had excellent results as well.
#24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed H View Post
I bought the then-current Hakkapeliita for my 2005 prius, which needs all the help in can get in maximizing traction, three years ago and was very impressed at both its snow and dry road handling and traction. However, they wore very quickly, even for snow tires. I have run Gislavids in the past and had excellent results as well.
Probably a lot of variables- and different tires too...each "model" is different.
I bought a set of Nokian Hak "2" at Christmas 2004 for a brand new Subie Outback. (not made any more of course) I just sold them two weeks ago with 4/32" left on them. That's 8 winters! Car has 145K on it now so if Nov through Apr is 1/2 of the year...that's about 70K on those suckers! Not too bad. I was very happy with those. Loud and stiff- not a performer...but they did wonderfully in the snow and since I had them studded, naturally they were great on ice.

#25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 02:42 PM

If you are dealing with serious snow and ice, then the Nokian 7's would probably be hard to beat. Studded General Arctic Alpines are also drawing some positive press for severe winter applications. Studs are hard to beat if the issue is ice. Note that winter tires tend to perform relatively poorly when you aren't on snow, e.g. wet and dry breaking, so do plan to adjust when you have spring/fall weather in mid-winter. Any winter tire will be a step up over most any all-season tire (possible exception: Nokian WR G2's).

Assuming you put them on their own wheels, expect most tire chains to require the TPMS system, or at least that's what I found here in Ohio (independents in my area do not require the sensors, and some chains will mount them to wheels as long as they do not put them on the car--you have to put on your own tires, but that might be a small price to pay for the $200+ you will spend for another set of sensors, not to mention having someone reset the TPMS system every time you switch between winter and summer tires).

This is late in the season for winter tires and the stock is thin in some locales; in Ohio the demand is not that great (most people relying on all-seasons or thinking that their FWD makes them invincible) so the numbers stocked by wholesalers are small. I could not find Michelin X-ices anywhere locally. However, most online sources (e.g. Tire Rack) will ship them directly to your local installer for you. Good luck with your new winter tire purchase all. I hope that next spring everyone will post what they think of them after a season of use!
#26 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 PM

It looks like you have done a lot of after factory modifications.
I bought a 2012 base 2wd two weeks ago and am looking to do a few things, namely heated seats, I really miss that form the Nissan that I traded in.
Any suggestions?
#27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM

I think the Hak 7s look awesome studded. I just got some used Hak Rs with 7/32" on them. Should be OK for a couple of years. The General Arctic Altimax look ferrocious. Pretty affordable too... $645/set, m&b. I may go for a set next winter.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page