Hand Polish Vs Machine - Page 4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ya the links show. i'll check 'em out after work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepeter View Post
Thanks RTexasF. I was hoping if done by hand it would be easy to remove. Going to pickup my DG products later this week from carquest or napa. Could you (or anyone else) recommend a glaze? I plan to use a glaze just incase I decide to terminate the polishing and "fill in" the remaining defects. I have swirls that I am certain i can remove, but also believe i have some sort of etching on the clear (unless they are water spots, but id assume clay bar and polishing would remove that). Some are dime sized and others are nearly the size of a $1 coin (the old coin, not the new one). A glaze should be able to fill and smooth this out, right?
Sorry I missed this. A glaze may or may not do what you want, it depends on the type, size, and depth of the defects. One I can recommend is Wet Glaze 2.0. It can go under or over wax or sealant and won't wash off. A little goes a long way...........

The Detail Shoppe - Wet Glaze 2.0 - Home

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Sorry I missed this. A glaze may or may not do what you want, it depends on the type, size, and depth of the defects. One I can recommend is Wet Glaze 2.0. It can go under or over wax or sealant and won't wash off. A little goes a long way...........

No prob and thanks for the info. But I am bit a puzzled as I was under the impression that glaze is to go before wax or sealant. For the time being i went with griots garage paint glaze (some mentioned it works great) to go on as follows:

1. dawn wash
2. clay bar
3. dawn wash or isoprop wipe down
4. polishing with griots garage 1-3 polish (meguiars ultimate rubbing compound if others not abrasive enough; no oxidation the paint currently is shiny/glossy but with many swirls and water etching)
5. griots garage paint glaze (was thinkinf of meguiars #7 mirror glaze)
6. DG (bonding agent + TPP)
7. meguiar ult liquid wax or gold glass paste wax OR some other carnuba wax
8. quick detailer (+ for future maintenance)
**9. from now on wash with an inline water filter on the hose, water is terribly hard in phoenix az.. leaves white patches everywhere on the car if allowed to dry on its own.
10. chip repair before all this of course...

See my issue is I believe my clear is suffering from etching. Just this weekend, I noticed the rain water on the hood when blown away with air would leave a noticeable ring on the hood (even when hood was cold). However, the ring was not deep meaning I could not feel the edge or a crust, but also did not wipe away. I assume this is type I water spots. However, the ring's shape mathces other areas of the hood that i have taken notice of over the past 3-4 months and wonder where the hell they came from (most likely acid rain when living in central PA, type II). I hope some glaze can take care of this for the time being as I am a newbie in polishing (griots garage 2nd gen DA polisher recently acquired on amazon).

.. my search continues to learn how to repair/correct these water etch marks. Thanks.
#34 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Most glazes are full of oils and fillers to help disguise boo boos and add gloss. One wash or heavy rain storm and they are gone. The one I mentioned above is acrylic and differs from all others in that it can go over or under wax or sealant and doesn't remove easily. It does some filling also. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's better than the rest just different and longer lasting.

Most of the time water spots have to be machine polished to remove them. Even then it may not remove all traces depending on the depth, type, and severity. After polishing try the Griot's glaze and see if it does what you want or not.

#35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

You've convinced me. Ordering!!!
#36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Most glazes are full of oils and fillers to help disguise boo boos and add gloss. One wash or heavy rain storm and they are gone. The one I mentioned above is acrylic and differs from all others in that it can go over or under wax or sealant and doesn't remove easily. It does some filling also. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's better than the rest just different and longer lasting.

Most of the time water spots have to be machine polished to remove them. Even then it may not remove all traces depending on the depth, type, and severity. After polishing try the Griot's glaze and see if it does what you want or not.
Thanks!!! If the griots glaze does not work i will switch over and try the acryllic based one instead. hopefully mu polishing skills will beef up and soon be capable of tackling water spots.

The DG TPP+PBA should prevent further etching correct?
#37 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post

You've convinced me. Ordering!!!
The two coats I put on the hoods of our cars a few weeks ago still looks dazzling. It still has the silky feel which has not diminished at all. Unfortunately I really effed up my back when changing the battery in her car recently so I've been sidelined for a while. Groaning and eating mega ibuprofen is not something I do well.

Your paint looks exceptional so the difference may be subtle after the Wet Glaze but it will improve it.

#38 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepeter View Post
Thanks!!! If the griots glaze does not work i will switch over and try the acryllic based one instead. hopefully mu polishing skills will beef up and soon be capable of tackling water spots.

The DG TPP+PBA should prevent further etching correct?
Mask off about a 2' X 2' section of a spotted area on a horizontal surface. Make that your test area for compounds/polishes/various pads until you get your best results. Now use that combination on the other areas in need.

Yes, it should prevent future damage but no guarantees.

#39 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 12:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Mask off about a 2' X 2' section of a spotted area on a horizontal surface. Make that your test area for compounds/polishes/various pads until you get your best results. Now use that combination on the other areas in need.

Yes, it should prevent future damage but no guarantees.
First off hope you get better soon and take care of that back pain. Drink plenty of fluids as you probably already do to prevent dehydration from that ibuprofen.

Second thanks for the pointers. I did a 2x2 test previously with meguiars rubbing compound then swirl remover, both worked well but of course the water etch marks just stand out more with the swirls removed. I just got into polishing so my equipment is just starting to build; currently have GG 6" polisher with 4 GG orange polishing, 3 GG red waxing pads, GG polish 1-3, GG glaze, and the DG TPP + PBA. Using only speed 4 with the meguiars products and orange pad took too long nearly 30 minutes, seemed too long and with a quick calculation it would take nearly 4-5 hours just polishing to remove all the swirls. I probably need more efficient pads.
#40 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Four to Five hours is not out of line especially when you're new at it and learning. Also keep in mind that in some cases water spots are there forever. Some compounds and polishes have a long working time and some do not.......also try speed 6 on the Griot's Machine. Look into the Menzerna line of compounds & polishes. They're expensive and they work. If I could choose only one it would be the Super Intensive polish.

Autogeek Menzerna Compounds Comparison Chart

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page