Undercoating anyone? - Page 6 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#51 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not sure about the compatibility of using both those substances with each other, but I would definitely spray "something" on your vehicle asap.
I think it's best to have it sprayed when it's warmer also, so it will creep better . But if I bought a vehicle in February and it was -30 Celsius, it would still get undercoated in my "semi" warm garage.

Kevin

NB Canada

08 Rav Limited 4-cylinder

Amsoil synthetic oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM

I'm not going to do it in my garage. Overspray is going to get on everything.

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
#53 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 10:00 PM

I was faced with the same issue when I bought my Rav a month ago on black friday, I looked underneath and it just didn't seem like it was protected enough for a maine winter. So I used 3M rubberized undercoating on the high abrasion areas underneath to prevent chips in the factory paint which will lead to rust. I then bought 8 cans of Fluid film and sprayed every hole/crack/crevice I could find. The next day the stuff was running out of everyplace, including the door seams and rocker panels. I did all of this before the car even has 100 miles, right off the showroom floor. I'm pretty happy with it, and I keep the underneath washed at least once a week. I'm hoping this will keep the Rav rust free for a long time.

Just my opinion, Thanks
#54 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineF250 View Post
I then bought 8 cans of Fluid film and sprayed every hole/crack/crevice I could find...........and I keep the underneath washed at least once a week.
In Canada a can of Fluid Film cost $14.99 at our Canadian Tire stores.

It would cost me $119.92 for the 8 cans that you used. For that cost I can have my entire car sprayed professionally at Krown (and others).

I think Fluid Film is a great product and I am using it to protect my steel winter rims. I have no doubt that it will protect the areas you sprayed just as well as the commercial product. However I don't think it can treat inner door panels, fenders, etc, like the professional product does, because the pro product is sprayed like a fog from a long extension wand as it is inserted deep into the hidden areas. Literally every square inch is contacted by the oil droplets. As I have said before, I could pour a litre of oil through a hole drilled in the edge of a door, and have it drip out the bottom over the next few days, but that does not mean the entire inner door is protected.

I have been getting my vehicles oil sprayed for over 30 years, and I make it a rule to never wash them during the winter. I feel that rinsing the underside of a vehicle with a high pressure nozzle is just washing away all that oil you paid so much to have sprayed on. Rust will never form on a painted surface unless the paint has been compromised by a scratch or stone chip. A good sealant or wax applied in the fall will protect those bare metal areas. Following this technique I have never experienced visible rust on any of my vehicles.

Rick L Ontario Canada
2008 Silver RAV4 Limited V6 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page