Dura Gloss... what products? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dura Gloss... what products?

Relatively new to the board here. I have monitored the two Zaino threads. Need advice on. Duragloss. After reading the Zaino threads, and about Zaino, DuraGloss and Klasse... I decided on DG. I almost wish I didn't. I bought 652 Precleaner, 601 Polish Bonding Agent, & 105 Total Performance Polish and also 951 Aquawax. Now I'm confused. DG own website recommends 111 Polymer Clearcoat Polish... and says you can use a coat of 951 afterwards... but then when I read the details of 111, it's a clearcoat polish( aren't they all really?) and it's meant for one year old cars.

This is the most confusing product line... no Step One, Step Two systems here... just performance wax clearcoat wax, pre polish, polish, bonding agents...wtf?

I have a 2009 with moderate swirl. I am gearing up to compound out the swirl with a pc 7424 before polymer finishes... anyone want to recommend a compresensive system for the swirl remover product and then for the polymer finish system? I've been planning on Mrguires 105 and 205 for the compounding and then 652, 601, several coats of 105 and final detailing with 951.

Thanks.

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Duragloss seems to name damn near everything a polish. #105 has light cleaning properties and is a sealant but they call it a polish. #501 has heavy cleaning properties and less sealant but they call it a polish. Aquawax contains no wax, it is a spray on wipe off sealant......and the list goes on.

Your plan looks good other than the several coats of 105. Once used with the bonding agent a single coat is plenty. They can also be mixed so both can be applied at once thereby saving a step. Four parts 105 to one part 601. Don't mix more than you need as shelf life is very short, measured in hours. Apply as thin as possible.

DG111 is a pure sealant and I see no point in using it since 105 is so good especially when mixed with the bonding agent.

For machine polishing my first choice is Menzerna Intensive polish but there are many raves on the detailing forums for the Meguiar's twins - 105 and 205. They work much better with the microfiber pads than they do foam from what I have read. I have not used them since I have the Menzerna twins equivalent.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks very much. Wonder why the Meguire products are better with microfiber pads...man, I've got a lot to learn...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

MF pads are not the fix all but some products work better with them. There are also products designed specifically for use with MF pads. If you've got good foam pads then use them......a guy can go flat broke buying all the new stuff coming out.

Here's two very poor phone shots of a Caddy I did yesterday.....six hours in all, non stop. I won't use a phone again but at least the reflections from the paint are good.

Last edited by RTexasF; 11-20-2012 at 03:20 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdograv View Post
Relatively new to the board here. I have monitored the two Zaino threads. Need advice on. Duragloss. After reading the Zaino threads, and about Zaino, DuraGloss and Klasse... I decided on DG. I almost wish I didn't. I bought 652 Precleaner, 601 Polish Bonding Agent, & 105 Total Performance Polish and also 951 Aquawax. Now I'm confused. DG own website recommends 111 Polymer Clearcoat Polish... and says you can use a coat of 951 afterwards... but then when I read the details of 111, it's a clearcoat polish( aren't they all really?) and it's meant for one year old cars.

This is the most confusing product line... no Step One, Step Two systems here... just performance wax clearcoat wax, pre polish, polish, bonding agents...wtf?

I have a 2009 with moderate swirl. I am gearing up to compound out the swirl with a pc 7424 before polymer finishes... anyone want to recommend a compresensive system for the swirl remover product and then for the polymer finish system? I've been planning on Mrguires 105 and 205 for the compounding and then 652, 601, several coats of 105 and final detailing with 951.

Thanks.
Here's my routine. Wash car with regular dawn soap. Clay bar. Quick wash and dry. Meg's 105 on orange pad in approx 2'x2' sections. apply light to moderate pressure and move slowly over paint. start at level 2 or 3 to spread the polish over the work section, then without lifting the pad turn up to 5 or 6. you can lift the pad off the paint, but if you do just make sure you turn it off and on or else you will fling polish EVERWHERE. enough pressure for polish and pad to work, but not enough that you are causing the PC to bog down. to PC should still move easily over the paint. I wipe off with microfiber towel and check paint after each panel ie rear door, hood, front door, etc. Next, Meg's 205 on white pad. This will really bring out the shine and remove any microscratches left by 205 and orange combo. Same process of 2x2 sections.

Next, mix in a small plastic bottle the DG 601 and 105 in a 1:4 ratio. shake it well. the guys at DG recommended this method to save time, you don't have to apply 601 first with 105 on top, mix and apply at same time. it works great. apply to whole car with either a black pad on the 7424 set to lowest setting, or a microfiber or terry applicator pad. wipe off with microfiber towels. if you plan multiple coats then after first coat wait 8 hours to cure before next layer. i typically do 2 layers regardless of brand sealant i use. i did 2 layers of the DG back in april and it still beads like crazy.

with the 951 aquawax i either wait another 8 hours if i don't need to leave the house, or i just wait till the next wash to apply. the aquawax is amazing. i usually apply every 3-4 weeks, which corresponds with every 3-4 washes.

been doing this on multiple cars for 9 years and though the products may differ from time to time, as far as sealants, the process is the same. i used the exact process on my rav with the megs and DG products when i got the car in april and i get compliments on the looks ALL THE TIME even now 6 months later.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks dq.
And one thing I have not figured out is how to clean the pads as you work. Can anyone describe this in some detail?
Thanks for the help. I appreciate the responses.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dquangt View Post
Here's my routine. Wash car with regular dawn soap. ...
Isnt't dish washer soap bad for the clear coat or is Dawn the exception?

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Gary Hoey" - Ho! Ho! Hoey: The Complete Collection (Chistmas Music with a rocking twist )
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
Isnt't dish washer soap bad for the clear coat or is Dawn the exception?
It's only used when you want to strip the surface completely. It's the first step in using the Zaino line.

The Following User Says Thank You to RTexasF For This Useful Post:
vanib (11-19-2012)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Can you use any dishwasher soap without damaging the clear coat then?

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Gary Hoey" - Ho! Ho! Hoey: The Complete Collection (Chistmas Music with a rocking twist )
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdograv View Post
Thanks dq.
And one thing I have not figured out is how to clean the pads as you work. Can anyone describe this in some detail?
Thanks for the help. I appreciate the responses.
Buy enough pads initially so you can just change them out as needed. Also if one pad flies apart or separates (it happens) the job won't come to a halt. I fill a 5 gallon bucket with Oxyclean & about three gallons of water. As a pad clogs/needs cleaning it goes in the bucket. I prime another pad and get back to work. On that Caddy in the pics above I used seven pads of various sizes.

To answer you though:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html

Dr. Bailey of Duragloss states that when using the 105/601 combo an additional coat of 105/111 can be done 2-3 hours later. Aquawax can be used one hour later. No 601? Give it 12-24 hours.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page