Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Blizzak WS70 quieter than OEM Toyo A20!

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Freedom55 
#1 ·
I installed my winter tires yesterday and they are super quiet even if in theory there are quieter tires out the like the Michelin XIce Xi2/Xi3...That makes me think the Toyo A20 that came with the car are the last source of the road noise I've been trying hard to get rid of by adding sound deadening material in the doors and cargo area and I'm not finished yet! Looks like I'll get quieter tires in the spring and keep the Toyo's as spare.

My previous car, a 2010 Kia Rondo also had WS70 for winter and they were quiet too but not as much as on my RAV. The OEM tires were the super quiet and soft riding Khumo Solus KH16 good on dry but poor on wet; I changed them for Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 (top rated by CR) which were much better on wet but noisier then the WS70 and the KH16. I was tired of spinning my front wheels when driving on wet roads but I regretted my choice as the Sumitomo's had to be rebalanced constantly, they replaced the 4 tires but the same thing happened. I'll probably go with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L or Yoko Avid Ascend, never had a problem with these reputable manufacturers before...

#3 ·
In all fairness I should have mentioned that the Blizzak's are 225/65/17 mounted on steelies vs OEM Toyo A20's 235/55/17...The ride is also much smoother both at 32 ps.

#5 ·
I have the WS70 winters on my RAV as well - 225/65/17. I also find them quieter than the OEM Toyo Open Countrys. But I had that chalked up to brand new Blizzaks vs worn-out Toyos. :shrug:

The WS70 has been awesome on the RAV so far - it's been practically unstoppable in the bad weather we've seen already this season. I have a set of X-Ice Xi2 winters on my wife's car, and I think they are certainly quieter than the WS70s, but at the price differential I encountered at the time I was buying (the Michelins were about $75 per tire more expensive than the Blizzaks), I now see that I was right in deciding the performance difference wasn't worth the extra money. I'm very happy with the WS70 on my RAV.

#6 ·
I got mine at Costco and they have unbeatable prices on Bridgestone so that was an easy decision to make even if the Michelin were my first choice; I got premium tires at a mid-range price!

Despite what Consumer Reports says, some users claim the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 are not the best in deep snow, but not sure about the new X-Ice Xi3 perhaps they improved it. Just like I find the Bridgestone quieter and softer than some users reported; I could not be happier with them especially for the money I spent. Not the best on dry or wet pavement but a pretty darn good compromise IMHO for here up in snow country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.