Tire recommendations for all-seasons, 225/65R17's - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdograv View Post
Have you ever used chains?
I used them in northern VT for years before I had a 4WD vehicle. They work, but they are a MAJOR PITA!!!
1 Challenging to put on. Takes 5-10 minutes when you get proficient.
2 Need to "re-tighten" after one mile.
3 If neither #1 or #2 are done adequately, chains loosen up and get flung outward as you speed up. This can, and usually does, result in the chains tearing into your wheel well with not-pretty results.
4 Just when you need to apply them, it will usually be raining on top of glaze ice. I can assure you that this is not a fun time to be on your knees in the dark on the side of the road.
5. As soon as you hit dry pavement, you should take them off.
6. You need to stay below 25 mph.
7. If you get stuck at all on ice, and attempt to gun the engine to coax a little more traction, they can slip right off and wrap around the axle. Usually this will take a hour or two to untangle, again in the freezing dark, and usually you will have damaged your metal brake lines.

Sound fun?
I've never had an issue with them coming off, and on the Rav you lose 4WD above 25mph anyway.

Putting them on isn't much fun, but when done in the driveway or a parking lot, it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than the side of a highway.
And the buses here roll with them over cleared roadways anyway.
But we also only need to pull them out maybe once every few years.

I guess it makes sense to have winter tires and deal w/ the tire change twice a year, if you know you're going to need them multiple times throughout the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM

(Thread Starter)
I would agree heartily about the chains; they are a PIA to use and a last resort for weather that exceeds what the best winter tires can do: mountain passes, severe snow, ice storms, etc. If you live where you need or are thinking about chains, you should already have winter tires on.

There are some newer technologies that are chain-like but supposedly a better design: easier to install, stay in place better, not needing adjustment, etc. These were recommended in the prius forum: whitestar alloy co.; I think the website with info is: SCC Whitestar Alloy
#13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpot View Post
... and on the Rav you lose 4WD above 25mph anyway.
Actually, the rear wheels are still driven at higher speeds, but just can't be constantly engaged like with the lock button. The higher the speed, the more the system tends to be front wheel biased, but I have gotten nice plumes of snow from the rear wheels at speeds clearly above 25 MPH.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 PM

For an all season, take a look at the Michelin Latitude Tour, BF Goodrich Long Trail TA, and Bridgestone HL Alenza. Again, check Tire Rack for user reviews, tests, etc.

Jeff
2007 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD 7-Passenger
#15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 AM

We at first got the BFG Longtrail touring but they had a vibration that wouldn't go away. After 3 or 4 rebalances and 7000km Costco replaced them with the Michelin Energy LX4s. No Charge. Took a hit on mileage with the BFGs also, no change with the Michelins.

Toyota Family x2
2007 Rav
2006 Tundra
#16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 02:56 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for Ll the info and advice. Decided to go with a compromise: Nokian WR G2's. Part of the reason was to save the extra $400 that a set of steel wheels were going to cost me (kid in College, two teenage drivers, etc). Also, we have them on our prius already, and they are more a hybrid tire: half winter tread, have 3 season tread. Excellent traction, just short of true winter tires. Figure on switching to winter tires when these wear out and we are (hopefully) more flush. The only problem was finding them: were out of stock at most wholesalers/dealers in NE Ohio; some said they could get them but when I went to order they had magically become unavailable. Heard all sorts of conflicting info and explanations including that Nokian is phasing them out (cannot confirm this, only one wholesaler mentioned it). Just about gave up when I hit on one local chain that had 12 in their warehouse; go figure. Will post my experience with them come next spring.
#17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM

I had to buy new tires for my 2010 base V6 RAV4 today. The SUV has 36,000 miles on the OEM tires. went to NTB and got cooper discoverer 225/65 r17 i.e. same as tires being replaced. 65,000 mile warranty. haven't driven much but so far so good. will report in a month or so.

2010 RAV4 base V6 Silver - love it!
#18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM

I just put a set of 4 Nokian WRG2 SUV tires on on my 2010 RAV4. Love them!! Was able to test them out a bit in last week's 5+ inch snowstorm and handled perfectly. (Note: There IS a tread difference between WRG2 and WRG2 SUV) Hills I previously needed to floor to get up in my old Mazda Protege seemed effortless - not one slip (I know, not much of a comparison - pretty sure I had the BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S if that helps).

Most people suggested getting a set of dedicated winter/ summer tires but I have a smaller apartment and didn't want to have to deal with figuring out where to store the 4 tires in the off season. They were a bit pricey but well worth it IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page