Jack handle and tool kit gone...replace or buy something else? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Jack handle and tool kit gone...replace or buy something else?

Discovered that my certified pre-owned R4 2009 is missing the jack handle and tool kit. I seriously doubt that the dealer is going to replace this for me now; it's been three months since the sale and they were tought to deal with anyway.
So...I need a replacement jack handle and lug wrench. The jack itself looks fairly shoddy. Is the handle just another piece of Chinese junk? Should I think about getting a small hydraulic jack instead of wasting any money on OEM stuff?

What are you guys doing?

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

I would still go back to the dealer. Otherwise it seems that the answer depends upon whether you want whatever jack handle and tool kit you get to stow in the RAV's jack and tool compartment, or don't care whether it does or doesn't. You might want to check with a wrecker/salvage yard for an OEM jack handle and tool kit although if you had to buy the missing items from the dealer the cost probably won't break the bank. The dealer at least should discount the cost.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
I would still go back to the dealer. Otherwise it seems that the answer depends upon whether you want whatever jack handle and tool kit you get to stow in the RAV's jack and tool compartment, or don't care whether it does or doesn't. You might want to check with a wrecker/salvage yard for an OEM jack handle and tool kit although if you had to buy the missing items from the dealer the cost probably won't break the bank. The dealer at least should discount the cost.
Yeah...it's complicated. I got the deal the way below NADA or KBB. They were pretty much losing money. I already had an issue with the bumper being dented pretty good when I picked it up and they did not want to cover the damage- even though it occurred on their lot and I had just purchased it CPO. I put some effort into it and eventually they did a quicky repair on the bumper...but there's no goodwill for me at this point. If this were something major, I'd go to bat...but this is pretty minor and not worth another fight with dealer. I got a good deal- I'll go and buy a jack handle no problem.

But having just used the flimsy jack and handle on my Subaru Outback, I'm wondering if I have to spend more than 4 or 5 bucks...maybe I should just put that money into something substantial.

Does anyone know if the vehicle's jacking points can withstand the round pad area of a hydraulic jack, or does the notch of the jack need to fit onto a "fin" on the chassis?

Thanks

#4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Garage
The jack handle and lug wrench are normally stowed in the driver's side compartment opposite the jack. Make sure it didn't slide down out of sight or wasn't moved somewhere else like under the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 PM

(Thread Starter)
June
No, it's definitely gone... no doubt.
But can I put a hydraulic jack onto that jacking point? I tried this the other day on my sub outback but the notch in the jack head really wants to fit on that fin that's on the underbody. When I tried to place the circular pad on the head of the hydraulic jack on the flat horizontal face of the underside of rocker panel, the flat panel started to deflect and I stopped and reverted to the cheap oem jack. It looks similar on the rav4.

#6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Garage
Use your hydraulic floor jack on the front and rear jacking points as shown in your owner's manual:

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Last edited by JuneBug; 12-05-2012 at 08:19 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 AM

If you use a hydraulic jack from the side of the RAV where the factory jack would go you must use a rubber pad; that's also in the manual where they talk about hoisting the vehicle. I haven't seen too many shops use rubber pads on my previous cars resulting in deformation of the lip under the rocker panel; I had to fix it with a hammer and pliers as the car jack would no longer fit not to mention possible early rust...Argh!

2012 Sport V6 Classic Silver no option
1999 Lexus RX300 Pearl White base gone
1972 Corolla 1200 Yellow 4 speed manual long gone
Others too many to mention!
#8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah- to be clear, I am not talking about a standard floor jack.
I'm talking about a hydraulic bottle jack.

Like this. (edit- sorry, I can't get the dammed photo to load)
That round pad at the top will crush the fin.
so you have to position it on the flat portion of the underside of the rocker panel. but that seems to deform somewhat and that's my concern.
Is there any safe way to use this sort of hydraulic bottle jack or am I reduced to the $1.99 Chinese jack? I can't carry a floor jack when I'm on the road.

Last edited by blackdograv; 12-05-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: trying to insert photo correctly
#9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM

I cut a notch in a piece of 2x4 that fits the spot on the rocker panel and jack on it. Works OK. The OEM jack and handle isn't great but is OK. I used it a lot for 5 tire rotations with no problems. If you want a bottle jack to keep in the car just be sure to check that its low enough to fit under the car and still have enough travel to get the tire off the ground. Preferably before you have a flat!

Toyota Family x2
2007 Rav
2006 Tundra
#10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=drzsmum;944678]I cut a notch in a piece of 2x4 that fits the spot on the rocker panel and jack on it. Works OK.

Good idea and I'll do the same for the the axle stands I haven't used yet since I only used the hydraulic floor jack once to install my winter tires mounted on steelies and I positioned the jack at the front and the rear of the vehicle as JuneBug showed on above drawings.

The bottle jack must be used on a solid and flat level surface as it tips easily; chock the opposite wheels securely to avoid getting hurt and possibly causing damage to your vehicle if it falls off the jack with the wheel removed.

2012 Sport V6 Classic Silver no option
1999 Lexus RX300 Pearl White base gone
1972 Corolla 1200 Yellow 4 speed manual long gone
Others too many to mention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page