TPMS Light did not come on after changeover - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
TPMS Light did not come on after changeover

I found out that tire shop will not put wheels on the vehicle if there are not functioning TPM sensors on them. (assuming the vehicle has TPMS). They had you the mounted tires/wheels and you do it yourself. Ridiculous.

But here's my question: After I did the changeover, and the new wheels do not have TPM sensors, the light did not come on for maybe 20 miles. Drove around all day yesterday with no light. This morning, after driving five miles, while I'm driving, the light comes on. Why the delay?

The light itself does not bug me, but the initial flashing during first minute of driving does.

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Let me guess, you stowed your TPMS wheels in the garage, and parked your vehicle in the same space?

The self-check each time you started up in the vicinity of the TPMS wheels clears the warning light as you're leaving. The next check on the road catches the phantom 'low tire pressure' condition and sets off the warning light.

If this is true, the self-check must not be running frequent enough to catch a catastrophic pressure leak . . . .

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
The Following User Says Thank You to CanuckRAV4 For This Useful Post:
pico (12-10-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRAV4 View Post
Let me guess, you stowed your TPMS wheels in the garage, and parked your vehicle in the same space?

The self-check each time you started up in the vicinity of the TPMS wheels clears the warning light as you're leaving. The next check on the road catches the phantom 'low tire pressure' condition and sets off the warning light.

If this is true, the self-check must not be running frequent enough to catch a catastrophic pressure leak . . . .
YES! That's what's going on!
Interesting. OK, I guess I'll just pile all of my other tires into the back and I'll be all set.

Kidding...

It's amazing nobody has designed and sold a "TPMS-Checker" black box that grabs the frequency of the old set of sensors and generates the signal. Just read off the old frequencies, flip the switch to "broadcast" and chuck it in the glovebox for the winter.

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
#4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRAV4 View Post

The TPMS sensor reports more frequently when the wheel is rolling, and it reports right away in the case of pressure loss below its threshold. A system problem, such as no signal detected after too long, starts with the light flashing for a minute before going solid. The reported low air pressure detected starts solid-on for the light.

2009 V6 4wd Base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page