First post! Mod suggestions? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking First post! Mod suggestions?

Hi, I'm new here so I'll probably ask lots of newbie questions and I ask for your patience

I own a "basic" white 2009 4cyl Rav4 and just recently the mod bug had started to bite me I only want some basic upgrades and won't go over the edge with the mods and they'll mostly depend on how much would I need to spend since my money pit is already my motorcycle and I'm starting to stop myself from the frenzy of modding and spending $ on my toys!

I'm thinking about a couple mods that include:

1) Brake rotors (of the slotted/drilled/dimpled type)
2) fender flares
3) mud guards
4) caliper paint

I've being searching on the forum for some days but decided to open a new thread since most of the links with products or sellers I found are expired.

Since I need to change the brake pads soon I might start with the brake related stuff. I've seen a couple posts around on the web stating the drilled rotors might end up cracking under vibration with street use, what is the consensus here? The only purpose would be for aesthetics only, I have no problem at all with the OEMs so far but love the look. Here's a set I found on ebay, they run around $100 the pair which IMHO is not bad, these are from "Cquence Motorsports", any reviews or opinions in them?
CQE44145 Rear 1 Single Drilled Slotted Brake Disc Rotor | eBay

Next step would be the fender flares, I know there are different sources and not all of them fit correctly, so any suggestions or opinions on where to get them at a decent price will be appreciated.

Mud guards will depend on whether or not I end up getting the flares so I'll need to decide on that first

I'll post pics later but it's nothing really special hehe!

Thanks in advance for any help! Happy Holidays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Smile Welcome

I know this will get a lot of flack from some here.. you can always get some of those fake Brimbo covers (click here)

Mud guards not only look better, they really are useful. Fender flairs not so much unless you are going to spend money on larger, wider tires and wheels?

Good luck

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:42 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
I know this will get a lot of flack from some here.. you can always get some of those fake Brimbo covers (click here)

Mud guards not only look better, they really are useful. Fender flairs not so much unless you are going to spend money on larger, wider tires and wheels?

Good luck
I know what you mean about the Brembo covers LOL! I have no problem with getting a set of those but I'll probably end up needing to get spacers for the wheels for what I've seen in other's posts, no? The mud flaps I will definitely get one way or another since the car is white and you know what that means when the wheels start turning!

BTW I havent though about the wider tires and flares, and thinking it better I just installed smaller wheels

Thanks a lot!
#4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mud flaps yes, fender flairs no, body molding a big yes. The body molding is on my Christmas list since I someone ding my door while I was shopping. Easy mods to do.

I believe in safety, education, and enforcement, not banning, ignorance, and blame.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtalk View Post
Mud flaps yes, fender flairs no, body molding a big yes. The body molding is on my Christmas list since I someone ding my door while I was shopping. Easy mods to do.
What kind of body molding? The ones that run through the middle of the doors/sides?
#6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Toyota Rav4 2006 2011 Painted Body Side Moldings - Spoiler and Wing King

I believe in safety, education, and enforcement, not banning, ignorance, and blame.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 05:38 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the link, price is great too and they come painted. Wondering why you suggest to skip the fender flares?
#8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 PM

I'm one of those weirdos that raises the hood everyday. Installing gas assisted hood lifts (loosing the goofy prop rod) still brings on a grin.....one handed hood open/close is the way to go and the way 'yota should have done it to begin with.

'09 RAV4 V6 Ltd - Yep, it's gotta HEMI
#9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 PM

I've been running PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors with their ceramic pads for several months now. Aesthetically they are as shiny as the day I put them on (actually, my mechanic did them). The complete kit was under $300 for the four wheels.

2006 Base I4 4WD
Wade deflector and visors, Weathertech floor liners, AntennaX 13" Euro, Sendel S06 chrome rims with NOKIAN WR G2 all weather tyres, Powerstop rotors and pads

You can't fix stupid
#10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

I guess I do not see the point in fender flares, as for the hood lifts which I have, a little work is involved installing, but yes it great as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page