How to save your high beam bulbs from DRL, add aftermarket RAV4 specific DRL's! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Veliksam
(Thread Starter)
How to save your high beam bulbs from DRL, add aftermarket RAV4 specific DRL's!

I bought myself a set of nice Phillips bulbs for my high beams a few months back, then I realized that my drl function will shorten the life of my $35 bulbs. So I set out to find aftermarket drl's for the 4.3, I found a few options:
New Toyota RAV4 LED daytime running head light/lamp 2pcs-in Light Source from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com , US Seller eBay
CAR Specific Toyota RAV4 2012 LED DRL,LED Daytime Running Light + Free Shipping By EMS,Newest Type!!!-in Daytime Running Lights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com
CAR Specific Toyota RAV4 2011 LED DRL,LED Daytime Running Light + Free Shipping By EMS,Newest Type!!!-in Daytime Running Lights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

I went with the First option because I liked the look and dual functionality (they switchback for turn signal). Installation is pretty simple but time consuming. I taped the turn signal wires from my headlights for the turn function and I wired the drl function to acc power and also a fog light switch. So if I want them off I can switch them off anytime but still retaining the turn function. I removed my front bumper in order to install the drl's and route/conceal the wires nicely, no drilling is required because they snap in place where the black plastic garnish/mesh was removed, plus they have 3m tape for extra assurance. Once I had my nice new drl's ready, I went ahead and removed the brown 5 pin relay and installed the 4 pin headlight relay, the result was no more killing my nice bulbs slowly. Had I already purchased the TIS software and cable I could have disabled them from the ecu and saved $4 from having to buy the 4 pin relay
Here's how they look on my RAV4 (these pics are from before I had them wired):

Anyways, I thought my fellow forum members might find this info useful, if so then just hit the "thanks" button if not then

UPDATE: A few months after I installed these I noticed a buildup of condensation, they were working fine until a few days ago when I noticed two leds are now working dimmer, this is a problem caused by the water, so I went ahead and drilled a few 1/16 holes, now all the water is gone but the two leds are still messed up. If you're having this condensation problem you should immediately drill a few little holes to prevent the led failure. Just make sure you drill them at the bottom and make sure you drill them at an angle that will be difficult for water to enter, also drill 2 holes at the top so that there is a good circulation. I have already ordered a new set and will be drilling them before I install.

UPDATE: I purchased a new set from the seller on eBay, turns out they do not have the switch back function, so no turn signal function, these only have two wires. I've had them in for almost 3 weeks now and so far so good. I haven't drilled any holes yet to see if the condensation will appear but so far nothing, I'm hoping it stays that way.

-----2012 V6 Sport, Tow Prep, & 4x4-----
HU: Kenwood DNN991HD & back-up cam,
JDM HID Projector Headlights w/Toshiba D4S Bulbs, JDM Vanguard Tail Lights
Front DRL's, LED Bumper Park/Brake lights,
Laser Interceptor Quad & Passport 9500ix
Red "SPORT" Theme
----------

Last edited by Veliksam; 06-20-2013 at 11:25 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Veliksam For This Useful Post:
doane2u (03-22-2013), J3T (03-03-2013), jingerale (01-15-2013), JuneBug (01-15-2013), ricepower (06-23-2013), RickB (02-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,198 Times in 869 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Cool! Now if only we could see what they look like when lit up.....

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#3 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM

so I'm trying to figure our how this "switch to turn signal" works. You are getting power from 2 sources. 1 is turn signal, and ACC with a switch. Assuming, common ground, with power leads from both sources.

when the switch is off, it's easy to understand, there's only turn signal. But when the power is on, and you turn on the turn signal, how does interrupt the constant power from ACC?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Cool! Now if only we could see what they look like when lit up.....
I will post some pics tonight

Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
#5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingerale View Post
so I'm trying to figure our how this "switch to turn signal" works. You are getting power from 2 sources. 1 is turn signal, and ACC with a switch. Assuming, common ground, with power leads from both sources.

when the switch is off, it's easy to understand, there's only turn signal. But when the power is on, and you turn on the turn signal, how does interrupt the constant power from ACC?
I'm sorry but I have no idea how the installers did it I think there was also a relay involved. The only thing I know for sure is that they got power for the turn signal function from the headlight turn signals. I'm sure any one with decent wiring knowledge would be able to do it. I'm not very good with wiring
Btw, each drl has this little black box on the wire so I think that is what does the trick. I only did the routing of the wires.

Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
#6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veliksam View Post
I'm sorry but I have no idea how the installers did it I think there was also a relay involved. The only thing I know for sure is that they got power for the turn signal function from the headlight turn signals. I'm sure any one with decent wiring knowledge would be able to do it. I'm not very good with wiring
Btw, each drl has this little black box on the wire so I think that is what does the trick.
ok, thanks. so it was the installer that added the feature? or did it come with the feature and the installer installed it using provided instructions.

thanks
#7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingerale View Post
ok, thanks. so it was the installer that added the feature? or did it come with the feature and the installer installed it using provided instructions.

thanks
Well, they didn't come with instructions. Here is what happened, at first we didn't know which wires were for the turn and drl, so he tested them with a battery and one wire was for the turn, one for the drl, and one was the ground. All of these wires pass through a little black box that's attached to the wires, my guess is that the little box does the switching. When you put on your turn signal it cuts the power to the white drl and gives power to turn signal Amber drl. The turn signal feature is already built in, also if you don't want to use that feature then you can just leave the turn wire disconnected. I will post pics in the next few minutes.

Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
The Following User Says Thank You to Veliksam For This Useful Post:
jingerale (01-15-2013)
#8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Additional pictures of drl & turn signal function added to First post

Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
#9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veliksam View Post
Well, they didn't come with instructions. Here is what happened, at first we didn't know which wires were for the turn and drl, so he tested them with a battery and one wire was for the turn, one for the drl, and one was the ground. All of these wires pass through a little black box that's attached to the wires, my guess is that the little box does the switching. When you put on your turn signal it cuts the power to the white drl and gives power to turn signal Amber drl. The turn signal feature is already built in, also if you don't want to use that feature then you can just leave the turn wire disconnected. I will post pics in the next few minutes.
Perfect...thanks for the info. that's enough for me to get a set. Too bad I have to order it from China, seeing how I will be there next week.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Unfortunately there are no US sellers for this item, I've looked everywhere.

Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page