Cover for Grill? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cover for Grill?

I have seen diesel trucks and buses covering their front grill in the winter so that less cold air reaches the radiator and engine compartment.

Is there a similar grill cover for the 4.3 RAV? If not, can I build one myself or is it not recommended?

My mpg is taking a real beating with weather hovering around -25C for the next few weeks. It would also help get the car warm faster.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" with new singer Todd La Torre totally rocks "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No need as that is the job of the thermostat.

However I can see that operating temps being lower than you want. For example on one of my cars the T-stat opens at 170F. But the car should operate at 190. When it is cold out side the car has a hard time getting there.
A trick is to slip some card board between the two radiators. The front rad is for the AC and the rear is for the cooling system. Being in a wet climate you might use some flexible cutting board material or thick plastic sheeting.

But if you jsut want quicker warm ups, this would not help. Block heater (or oil dipstick heater) on a timer, park in garage are your only real options.

2012 4wd i4 3rd row
#3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Diesels are more efficient than gasoline engines so moch so they generate very little heat idling. My F-250s idle themselves up automatically when it's cold to keep the engine and cab from cooling off too much.
I can't recall ever seeing such a product for any modern gasoline engined car. You could try it with your RAV but I doubt it would make a measurable difference.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

When I lived in Minnesota some folks would place a sheet of cardboard or similar material in front of their gasoline car radiatiors in winter, usually with part of it cut away to allow for partial airflow. I suspected that they may have had problems such as defective thermostats, but don't know for certain.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRAV4 View Post
In the olden days, you can actually block off the radiator grills with snap-on covering to promote faster warmup in extreme cold weather or highway driving. There are enough opening under the front bumper for air intake and cooling purposes.

Fast forward to today, couldn't Toyota designs a thermostatically controlled shutter inside the front grills to serve this exact purpose? Of course it would be an option only suitable for the northern states and country with persistent cold weather. If it's a better sell, it would also serves as an aerodynamic aid to improve fuel economy.

Ford has something likes this already on their Focus models but it's speed sensitive for aerodynamic gain at highway speed.
Quoted from my other post . . .

I guess a DIY snap-on vinyl grill cover is worth trying . . . Let us know if you're going to market it in our CDN marketplace

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
#6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM
rns

I thought the same about Ford's thing, the active grill could be good in cold weather too, not just high speeds
" title="Ford Focus Active Grill Shutters - YouTube" target="_blank">Ford Focus Active Grill Shutters - YouTube
But will the electric motors that move it get icy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
When I lived in Minnesota some folks would place a sheet of cardboard or similar material in front of their gasoline car radiatiors in winter, usually with part of it cut away to allow for partial airflow. I suspected that they may have had problems such as defective thermostats, but don't know for certain.
When it's cold enough, even gasoline engines' heat may not keep all engine bay in optimal temperature. (Even not to mention diesels, my diesel Rav4 heats into normal temperature after about 10km(6.2miles) drive if it's more than -10C(14F) and no preheat used.)

But the best effect comes when you start driving, engine heats up more quickly as the draft don't cool it down at all.

Cardboard sheets do the job too, but aren't stylish unless you hide it well. They have been popular here too.

One company here makes more nice looking ones:
Leo Laine Oy // lokari.fi
#7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Another factor is we have electric fans that don't pull the cold air thru the radiators unnecessarily. The trucks & buses often have a big "propeller" running all the time.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rns View Post
But the best effect comes when you start driving, engine heats up more quickly as the draft don't cool it down at all.

That's what I am aiming for: reduce draft to the engine bay for my daily 5km trips.

Currently listening to "Queensryche" with new singer Todd La Torre totally rocks "
#9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
That's what I am aiming for: reduce draft to the engine bay for my daily 5km trips.
Yep, my daily 5Km (3 mi.) city trips are killing me too in the fuel economy department. I don't know if the grill cover would have any effect in such a short distance though, about 15 minutes of driving time?

15L/100Km = 15.7 MPG (US)

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
#10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
how does 20L/100 km sound?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page