Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

TPMS Question

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Carbon 
#1 ·
I just bought a new 2012 Rav4, and managed to score an extra set of 2012 Rav4 tires and wheels, that I plan on putting studded snows on.

I have gotten mixed answers from the dealership as to whether the TPMS on the new wheels will work with my vehicle. I have been told that they will with no problem. I have also been told that the system will need to be re-programed, and then this will have to be done again when I change back to the original wheels. This sounded a bit strange to me.

Does anyone have experience with the Toyota TPMS? Can you answer this for me? Also is the dealership the only one that can program these?

Thanks!

#3 ·
As Carbon linked to there are lots of options. Post #86 from just yesterday is VERY interesting.

#4 ·
I guess maybe I wasn't clear on my original message. The wheels and tires I purchased are take-off, and have the sensors in them. Ideally what I would like to be able to do is to change them out with the seasons, with all 8 sensors on the same frequency, so I don't have to have anything re-progammed every time I do this. I would like to keep the TPMS functional. Is this possible?

#6 · (Edited)
I guess maybe I wasn't clear on my original message. The wheels and tires I purchased are take-off, and have the sensors in them. Ideally what I would like to be able to do is to change them out with the seasons, with all 8 sensors on the same frequency, so I don't have to have anything re-progammed every time I do this. I would like to keep the TPMS functional. Is this possible?
#1Yes. You could get the programmable sensors and have the ID numbers cloned to match your existing sensors.

#2 Yes-- if you get regular sensors with their own pre-programmed ID number, and you do the programming, you would not say you are having to have it reprogrammed [by somebody else].

You can reprogram at each change. Order up the cable and Techstream software. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-...ota-techstream-mvci.html?highlight=techstream

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.