Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

RAV4 w/JBL, HU Upgrade

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Veliksam 
#1 ·
Hello! I got my wife's 2008 RAV4 Sport V6 as a hand me down, she traded in my 2003 Matrix XRS to get an Impreza. I'm installing my Avic z140BT head unit and I have it almost entirely working with the stock JBL system by using the ADBOX1, AX-ADTY01 harness, and the ASWC-1 adapter. It's working, but the illumination toggle, the reverse line, and the VSS lead aren't working. It's wired as described in the documentation. Am I missing anything or should I just bypass the ADBOX1 and tap into the factory harness for those lines?

#2 ·
Well it's done now. I ended up getting the reverse signal off the red wire on the fuse box, which was a total PITA to tap with the taps I have. I got VSS from the connector in the passenger side kickpanel. Illumination was the green wire at the radio connector, the Axxess box just didn't connect to it. For the money I'm not really impressed with the box to be absolutely honest.

To anyone else who might be interested, I ended up using the Scosche install kit. The color match sucked, which is ironic because it's black plastic that they painted a dark gray on the face. It was a plastic bonding paint so I couldn't remove it and I ended up painting over that with some Krylon matte black plastic paint. It looks great now. The Metra kit feels cheap and while it's matte black it doesn't have any texture. Fingerprints show up really easily.

Now I just have to wait for the rearview camera coming on the slowboat. Hopefully I can access the input jack through the glovebox so I don't have to bother pulling the radio again.

#3 ·
How about some photos?

#4 ·
The ever embarrassing photos that show all the dust... I need to clean it up and get my grease off. Plus the HU has a little groove that holds dust. I'll have to hit that with a soft brush.

So I did have the big gap at the top when I seated the bottom of the bezel. The side trim pieces helped draw it back up though.

#5 ·
Looks very good, very good fit just like my Schoche kit. Good job ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.