Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

o.k. confused about xm

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  hamma18431 
#1 ·
O.k. if I buy a Toyota unit with the xm logo on it....can I plug it in and go... 2011 rav4 ...

#2 ·
I think you'll need a new antenna as well.

#4 ·
My 2011 Base RAV has the radio unit which you mention installed as part of an upgrade package and receives satellite, but of course one has to pay the subscription fee.

#6 ·
Yes it might work but he'll still need the wire/cable that goes from the radio to the xm connector in the rear quarter panel.

#7 ·
Misunderstanding, perhaps. Maybe you were thinking of the antenna amplifier.

He asked if he bought a 2011 with an XM symbol (presumably on the head unit), would he be all set. The answer is Yes. All he need do then is subscribe to XM. (Dialing to channel 0 will bring up the radio ID to report during subscription, which can be done online, but not in-vehicle.)

The Standard and Sport already have the antenna cables installed even if the XM tuner is not in the head unit - no XM symbol on the head.) The cable runs through the headliner. This has been true since 2009.

#8 ·
Oh, I didn't know that they already have the cables for the xm. Good to know.

Reactions: pico
#10 ·
This where Junebug might be the better person to tell us, but to my best knowledge the antenna cable is already installed and ends in the middle behind the head unit. (It runs under the head liner, down the passenger's side A pillar, then under the dash. You should not have to mess with that.)

There are probably diagrams for it here. It has been a long time since I looked. I will check again, and you can, too.

Update: Junebug's excellent post with pictures below apparently for a model without the under-dash XM terminal (pre-2009), but yours should be under the dash.
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/87588-hack-into-sat-radio-antenna.html#post893393

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.