Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Recommendations for a new HU

4K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  Veliksam 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 limited v6 with factory navigation. I would like something with navigation and Bluetooth (with separate microphone) and still be able to use the stock steering wheel controls and stock navigation antenna. TIA

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Stock navigation antenna will not work with any aftermarket hu. Steering wheel buttons is not problem, there's plenty of of options with those.

Keep in mind if you go with a JVC you will not be able to use your phone buttons unless the unit is compatible with maestro swc module.
If you get a Kenwood make sure it's compatible with the maestro module and you'll be able to retain the phone button functions.

#3 ·
Honestly a can't recommend the Kenwood brand, I'm currently using the top model (DNN991HD) and its very buggy and slow even after the latest update which was earlier this year.
JVC on the other hand is very fast and responsive, I had the kw-nt800hdt and it was great.

#7 ·
Oh, I didn't know that the limited does not have the phone control buttons on the right side.
In this case you can go with the JVC without losing and button functions, I recommend the axxess swc adapter.
Like I said I don't recommend the Kenwood even though it dis have the Garmin, it's buggy and slow as hell!

The JVC maps are excellent and gps is fast especially rerouting.

#6 ·
Are you planning to use it just for bluetooth music/phone and GPS capability? Go with a Kenwood. The GPS map is garmin based. If you're planning to use with conjunction with the iPhone, the only aftermarket company that support apple carplay are alpine and pioneer. It lets you mirror apple map on the deck.

#8 ·
Just phone and music. I don't have an iPhone, I have the galaxy s5.
One more question, right now I have the bluelogic Bluetooth hooked up to my stock hu and when I play music it only plays through the two front speakers. With the jvc would the music play through all speakers in the truck?

#9 ·
With the JVC you won't even need to use the bluelogic, it has built in Bluetooth and yes it will play music through all the speakers.

#10 ·
Hi Robert,
I'm in the same boat in looking for a new headunit I also have a S5, what have found in my travels the S5 has the capability to you Mirrorlink but this was broken with Kitkat but will be fixed again with Lollipop. I initially wanted to go with Pioneer but the number of stories online about issues with mirroring I looked at JVC but found they are Apple centric not really Android friendly. So I looked at Sony the 612 or 712bt both have mirrorlink and seem to be good units then I was recommended Kenwood as they make units for Toyota and I have more than on camera that they support the ones to look for are the WBT series like DDX635WBT these are 200mm wide and match Toyota factory spec.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

#11 ·
Ok time for an update. Well first I switched back to the iPhone, and ordered ( the wife ordered it for me for Christmas) the jvc kwnt810nbt. Once I install it after Christmas I will update once more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
Good choice, the JVC is the best/fastest HU I've ever used, never froze or lagged. Navigation is excellent and rerouting is very fast. Bluetooth calls were very clear and the other side could always hear me clearly.

#13 ·
We have the pioneer x920bt on our 2010 base and like it. Never had any issues. Boot up fast, music start playing even before the splash screen fully loaded. Gps is fast. Reroute is good. But nothing like google map on my smartphone. Even with newest map, google always quicker. I like it because i can get the updated map free. Through avic411.

#15 ·
Why after Christmas? To busy to install it? I wouldn't be able to wait that long. LOL

#18 ·
I see now. I guess you'll have to wait for Santa :D

#23 ·
That looks much better!
I wish I still had my JVC, Kenwood sucks! It got stuck on the boot screen after updating the firmware, I should be getting it back from Kenwood service center by Monday.

#25 ·
I know. I guess JVC division is just better in the HU business. That's why I thought the Kenwood would be awesome.
I have a feeling JVC is going out of the HU business, I haven't heard anything about any new models since the 810.

Just got text from UPS that my Kenwood is on it's way and will be delivered on Thursday, Yay! That was a very quick repair time, they got it on Monday and they've already fixed and shipped it back to me on Tuesday. At least the warranty service is very impressive and I can't complain about that.

#26 ·
Just got text from UPS that my Kenwood is on it's way and will be delivered on Thursday, Yay! That was a very quick repair time, they got it on Monday and they've already fixed and shipped it back to me on Tuesday. At least the warranty service is very impressive and I can't complain about that.
That is a quick turnaround! I'd be interested to know if they sent back your original unit, or swapped it for a new/refurbished unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.