Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Heater not blowing very hot...manual ac

18K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  kennyc 
#1 ·
2007 v6. Manual ac. Heater only blows luke warm, put fan speed on high and it's not even luke warm. I used a scanner to read the coolant temp on my rav and a friends v6 rav and they are the same temp and his rav blows hot air so it's not the thermostat stuck open. I can take out the glovebox and see the gear and cables coming from the hot/cold knob and they are working through the full rotation of the blend door/flap gear. When I turn the hot/cold knob from full cold to hot I can hear the blend flap slam shut. The heater hoses under the hood are both hot so at least coolant is getting into the heater core. Anybody had any similar issues or suggestions?

#2 · (Edited)
I've been a bit disappointed with the time it takes to heat the car up and we haven't really had any cold weather yet this year. The older Sienna that had was much quicker.
Edit:
Although it takes longer to warm up I do get lots of air flow from the blower. I've also just discovered the cabin filter which needs replacing so that might be having a negative effect.

#5 ·
With the heater hoses hot the 'stat & level should be find. Blockage is a possibility. Or blend door not completely closed to A/C. My test would be how it works on recirc. Also check the cabin filter if you haven't.

An indication of water flow blockage is with the car parked, the engine hot & idling and the blower off for a few minutes, it blows hot when you first turn the blower on high but then cools off. A flow restriction allows the core to get hot initially but can't stay hot once the air flow starts.

Our RAV4 warms up quickly & makes plenty of heat.

#6 ·
Your 2011 I-4 has an electric heater element to supplement the heater core. So while you may feel some warm air from the vent, the engine is not warmed up, which you will see when you look at the engine temp gauge. The V-6 never got the electric heater.

#7 ·
I've put a new cabin filter in, I don't think it's the thermostat as my friends rav4 with v6 runs the same temp as mine using my code reader showing coolant temp and his blows very hot air. I've tried the recirc setting and not much difference. I'm thinking either blockage to/in the heater core or blend door not closing all the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.