Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Help with disabling the automatic disable recirculated air

11K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Ott. 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm having an issue with the recirculated air turning off on its own for reasons I can't identify. I know that the design is set to minimize the potential of condensation on the interior of the windows, but... We're having the same weather now that we did last year and I didn't have this problem (or at least it was so minimal that I don't remember).

I'll put it out there that I did some serious searching on this and haven't really seen anything better than this: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-...ng-automatic-disabling-recirculate-air-2.html

That thread is great except I've got a 2010 V6 Limited with the auto controls. Does anyone have any info on the settings that need to be changed to make the recirculated air a "manual" button? I'd absolutely love it if I could choose when I get fresh air and be able to avoid all the exhaust from the cars in front of me. I'm in a heavy traffic area with a lot of diesel trucks and I'm almost ready to seal off the external air intake.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

#2 ·
Maybe this will be useful. In the Owner's Manual list of Customizable Parameters (JuneBug posted a copy someplace on this forum as well) the Air Inlet Mode factory set default is Auto, but it can be changed to Manual by a dealer with their computer. Possibly also by the owner, using Techstream.

#3 ·
Rats, I forgot to mention that I did read through that portion of the manual in my post. I didn't see anything about changing the settings though.

I also think I may have used the post that JuneBug put up a couple of years ago when I got the rav to have the dealer make some changes to lights, locks, etc. I just did some more digging, is this what you were thinking of?

https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/2006/customize_parameters.pdf

The way I'm reading it, it looks like the Auto would force the RECIRC on? Any idea on if that parameter is global (over all functions) or just applies to when the A/C starts up?

If it helps, the RECIRC not only kicks out on vehicle start up, but sometimes just randomly while driving.

#4 ·
Yes, in the right-hand column the Settings list alternatives, e.g., Manual/Auto with the options separated by the downstroke. That means that they can be changed to one or the other. I don't know about the forcing into RECIRC issue - I have the manual system. Hopefully another member can respond that concern.

Reactions: TheGoldenV
#5 ·
Thanks. I'm going to have to look into that TechStream business again. I looked it up before, but wasn't sure on what to get.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep digging on this issue. I don't think anything is broken because there isn't really anything mechanical to fail on the switch (still lights and dims). I'm almost wondering if there is some sort of interlock between the recirc and the external temp probe. Maybe the weather is hovering right around the point where the truck thinks it'll freeze the coils if it runs the ac...

There's got to be a way to disable this bugger...

#7 ·
Yeah, I turned off the auto recirc feature when I first got Techstream, and ran it like that for a couple of years. It would only go to recirc when I pushed the button, and would remain in whatever state it was in after shutdown/restart. I ended up putting it back to the default because full auto seems to work better for me.

#8 ·
#9 ·
#12 ·
It's not that bad, I've always used Vmware to setup and run a virtual xp machine.

#13 ·
With my '08 Limited I do not use auto function but the temperature is always set to "LOW". Even with the A/C off recirc comes on when the car is started. By increasing the temp to about 70ºF it will start in the outside air mode. In short the temp setting has influence on which mode (recirc or outside) will come on when the engine is started regardless of if the A/C is on or not.

#15 ·
Uh-oh... Well I'll let you know since I went ahead with the purchase. At least I've got a few old computers with various operating systems.

I'm also curious to see if this change will work while I'm in manual mode on the HVAC system. I don't really use the auto since it always seems to do what it wants (and never gets cold enough in the summer).

#16 ·
I gave a copy of the 'Customize Parameters' showing how to turn air inlet mode (Recirculate Mode) to manual to my Toyota Mechanic. He told me that it couldn't be done on my 2009 RAV4 Limited system. Is he right?

I hate that gale of cold air hitting me in the chest at start up. Particularly since the vents cant be closed or sufficiently redirected.

Thanks, D

#18 ·
I hate that gale of cold air hitting me in the chest at start up. Particularly since the vents cant be closed or sufficiently redirected.
Thanks, D
That is not normal. As Dr. Dyno suggested you must have switched to a manual mode in order for that to occur.

To quote myself from an earlier thread.......
"When the engine is stone cold, there is no heat to distribute, so the fan will not run at all. Why would you want the fan blowing cold air? Wouldn't the windchill factor make you more uncomfortable? As heat becomes available (i.e. coolant temperature begins to rise), the fan will start to increase in speed, and by the time normal engine temperature is reached the fan will be running at full speed if the desired temperature has still not been reached."

I still question the benefits of turning off any of the automatic features of this system. It is honestly the best system I have seen.

I summarized some of it's features in this post. I now have an Acura product, and almost everyday I wish it had a system that worked as well as the RAV4. The Acura always seem to overshoot the desired temperature (either when heating or cooling) and despite the fact that I set the same desired temperature, I end up adjusting it each day because it doesn't feel like it is the same.

#17 ·
What, another inept Toyota Mechanic? I haven't changed mine but it's said to be possible with Techstream in other posts.
But you must be running yours in manual mode since my Limited won't blow any air until it gets warm in automatic (climate control) mode.

#20 ·
She's trying to freeze me out Dr. You start her up in the summer (Black car) and the air conditioned Re-circ comes on full bore right on my pacemaker. No problem now though. Not quite warm enough, but its been pretty nice for this time of year.. Not familiar with Techstream. Will have to check it out. Thanks D.

#22 ·
I've had mixed results with the Techstream software. I went through all the decision trees and got the auto switch to turn off in almost every situation. For some reason it still goes on it's own when the temp is around 40 degrees. This is still particularly annoying, but I just gave up and switch it back every time. One day when I have a few spare minutes I plan on finding the flap that controls the air direction and screwing it shut.

Reactions: Parkland
#23 ·
That's pretty drastic. Why not just set it where you want it and then disconnect the servo motor?

#24 ·
Well... That's a much better idea! I didn't know it was controlled with a servo. Do you know where the servo is located? I'd like to do that this weekend as I'll be getting into it anyway. I've got some of the HVAC lights that are getting weak.

#26 ·
I don't know exactly--there may be a picture or two here on the site. Most problems were with broken plastic gears as I recall. The lights in the Limited A/C panel are all LED's by the way.

But first, you might want to run this diagnostic procedure and see if any error codes show up:

CHECK MODE PROCEDURE
1. PANEL DIAGNOSIS (INDICATOR CHECK)
(a) Turn the ignition switch to LOCK.
(b) Turn the ignition switch ON while simultaneously
pressing the A/C control AUTO switch and the REC/
FRS switch.
(c) Check that all indicators and the display area are
turned on and off 4 times in succession at 1 second
intervals.

HINT:

After the indicator check is completed, the system
automatically enters sensor check mode.
(d) Press the OFF switch to terminate the panel
diagnosis.
2. PANEL DIAGNOSIS (SENSOR CHECK)
(a) Perform the indicator check.
HINT:
After the indicator check is completed, the system
automatically enters sensor check mode.
(b) Press the REC/FRS switch to enter actuator check
mode.
(c) After the actuator check is completed, press the
AUTO switch to enter sensor check mode.
NOTICE:
The sensor check must be performed again after
the actuator check is completed because sensor
check mode, which starts automatically after the
indicator check, cannot fully detect
malfunctions.
(d) Check the sensor check results displayed on the set
temperature display.

HINT:

• The illustration shows the display when code 21
is output.
• When 2 or more sensor check codes are
detected, the codes are displayed in ascending
numerical order.
• In cases with 2 or more codes, if they are difficult
to read, press the DEF switch to activate the step
operation and display them one by one.
• The codes are displayed in ascending numerical
order as the DEF switch is pressed.
(e) When any sensor check codes are displayed, refer
to the DTC chart (see page AC-39).
(f) Press the OFF switch to terminate the panel
diagnosis.
HINT:
Pressing the REC/FRS switch returns the system to
actuator check mode.

3. PANEL DIAGNOSIS (CLEAR SENSOR CHECK CODE)

(a) Inspect, and repair or replace the malfunctioning
parts.
(b) Clear the sensor check codes.

(1) While pressing the DEF switch during sensor

check mode, press the Rr DEF switch.
HINT:
Sensor check codes can be cleared by removing
the ECU-B2 fuse from the engine room No. 2
relay block for more than 60 seconds.
(c) Perform the sensor check and confirm that normal
code 00 is displayed.

4. PANEL DIAGNOSIS (ACTUATOR CHECK)

(a) Start the engine and warm it up.
(b) Perform the indicator check.
(c) When the sensor check is started after the indicator
check, press the REC/FRS switch to start the
actuator check.
HINT:
Perform the actuator check with the engine running.
(d) Check the temperature and blower levels by hand at
each step while the actuator check proceeds from
step 0 to 9 at 1 second intervals (continuous
operation).

HINT:

Each step number is displayed on the set
temperature display.
(e) To display step numbers one by one manually,
press the DEF switch to activate the step operation.
The step number changes each time the DEF
switch is pressed.
HINT:
• Each step number blinks at 1 second intervals
during the step operation.
• The illustration shows the display when step
number 5 is displayed.
(f) Press the OFF switch to terminate the panel
diagnosis.
HINT:
Pressing the AUTO switch returns to sensor check
mode. __________________

a/c diagnostic test ac diagnostic

#27 ·
Both problems have been solved! The lights have returned to normal with no intervention from me and the air will remain in recirc. The second fix was accidental as the flap got stuck on my flashlight when I hit the recirc button. Long story short, the servo gear isn't very strong... Not the way I'd have liked to have it, but what the heck the car is already 7 years old and it'll still go without the flap.

I have pictures of the flap if anyone would like, but idk if I'd do it my way...

#28 ·
Yup,
My 2012 RAV V6 needs to have Recirc set manually which I prefer.
My old Honda Element did it automatically, even in Heat mode instead of Defrost only.
I was able to reset it from Owner's Manual instructions so that I can always turn off the Recirc by pressing the button.
Ott.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.