Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Adding bluetooth on OEM radio

27K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  distraction3345 
#1 ·
Hi guys, long time no post

I was wondering if there is a blue tooth module that can go into this OEM radio unit

There is an AUX button but I was wondering if it exists some blue tooth module that can make my phone interact with the radio so I can play direct from my phone.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes there is. I think it's blulogic or parrot, I'm can't remember for sure. If you do a search something should pop up.

#5 ·
Hi Swiss,

I faced this exact same dilemma a while back and this is how solved it, and it only cost me $50!! I have a 2008 Sport just like you with the exact same head unit. I purchased a unit by a company called Kinivo named Kinivo BTC455 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit . Belkin makes almost the same thing, but from the reviews I went with this unit.

The way it works is it's powered by your cigraette ligher/power port and there is a dongle, or 'puck' that mounts on your dash. This puck communicates with your phone via bluetooth and routes the incoming signal (music, phone call, whatever) through the AUX port in your center console. The puck also has a mic on it, as well as a button for playing music, anaswering/ending calls, and two additional buttons for skipping tracks. It works well for phone calls, except at higher speeds where our lack of soundproofing overwhelms it a little. In this situation OEM wins out, but OEM Is also much more expensive. It has given my Rav full phone call, music, and hands-free capability. I have the 'puck' mounted next to me 4WD Lock button.

This, coupled with a nice phone dash mount, should work nicely for you. it also auto-connects on startup, which the Belkin does not do. The BTC 450 is 15 bucks cheaper and can connect one phone at a time, as opposed to the above unit, which does two.

Best of luck!!

#6 ·
Hi Swiss,

I faced this exact same dilemma a while back and this is how solved it, and it only cost me $50!! I have a 2008 Sport just like you with the exact same head unit. I purchased a unit by a company called Kinivo named Kinivo BTC455 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit . Belkin makes almost the same thing, but from the reviews I went with this unit.

The way it works is it's powered by your cigraette ligher/power port and there is a dongle, or 'puck' that moutns on your dash. This puck communicates with your phone via bluetooth and routes the incoming signal (music, phone call, whatever) through the AUX port in your center console. The puck also has a mic on it, as well as a button for playing music, anaswering/ending calls, and two additional buttons for skipping tracks. It works well for phone calls, except at higher speeds where our lack of soudnproofing overwhelms it a little. In this situation OEM wins out, but OEM Is also much more expensive. It has given my Rav full phone call, music, and hands-free capability. I have the 'puck' mounted next to me 4WD Lock button.

This, coupled with a nice phone dash mount, should work nicely for you. it also auto-connects on startup, which the Belkin does not do. The BTC 450 is 15 bucks cheaper and can connect one phone at a time, as opposed to the above unit, which does two.

Best of luck!!
Wow thanks for this, it's really cool!

#8 · (Edited)
Forgot to mention, you will also need what is called a 'ground loop isolator' in order to elminate any feedback in the stereo playback. You can find it on amazon for ten bucks and it shows up as a "customers also bought" or whatever that's called when viewing the Kinivo
it is amazing how well it works and also elminates any hiss fromhaving the charger plugged in. It is a necessity since the stereo is not grounded properly it would seem, trust me. It connects into the car AUX port and the bluetooth unit connects into it. Good luck!

#9 ·
#10 ·
I installed the GROM Audio BT3 kit on Saturday and it offers both hands-free operation as well as music streaming.

It plugs into the "CD-changer" port that's available in the back of the radio.

The microphone was ran down the A-pillar with it zip-tied to a sleeve such it wouldn't interfere with the side airbag.

The BT3 module was zip-tied within the radio cavity so it wouldn't be dangling freely.

Overall, voice quality and music streaming works very well. The drawback is the radio must be "on," in external "CD mode" in order for the phone to initiate or receive a call using the car's speakers, unlike the OEM BLU Logic kit which can interrupt the factory audio paths.

#12 ·
It also works even if the radio is REMOVED. No kidding.

#14 ·
Forget about the aftermarket unless you want something temporary and cheap. Go with OEM, you can't beat Blu Logic. I ended up paying under $70 from Amazon and installed it myself. I intend to keep this for maybe another year or 2 and change it out completely with an aftermarket Head Unit.

#15 ·
After reading about the BLU Logic setup, I decided to give that a try and see how it works out. I bought a kit, PT923-03120, off eBay since it was a pretty good price.

However, upon receiving the kit, the microphone casing was rectangular.

I had a :wall moment, but started to look where I can install it. Then notice a 3-slit opening in the overhead console. It seemed similar to the BT microphone hole in a '12 Highlander that I have.

After taking it off, there was an open cavity behind it, and it seemed like the rectangular microphone could fit in there.

So with some determination, I scraped and filed off the plastic behind the slits.

With a bit of pressure, the microphone fit in there pretty well.

The microphone wiring went down the a-pillar, through the lower panel, then up to the radio cavity.

Popped in the call/hang-up/volume buttons in an open slot and ran the wiring along with the microphone wiring.

After all the connections to the BT module were done, it was zip-tied behind the radio cavity.

Put the dash back together and tried it out. The opposite party was able to hear me well. I will likely keep the BLU Logic because it 1) doesn't require the radio to be on, and 2) is cheaper. I should have looked into BLU Logic first...lesson learned.

#16 ·
Nice install! I installed the BluLogic button in the outside slot, and moved the dimmer to the inside slot. Makes it easier to see the button without it being blocked by the steering wheel. I also kept the BluLogic module wrapped in the foam to minimize any rattles.

#18 ·
I was going to position like how yours was as well, but the holes are slotted for particular controls. So I had to use the rightmost one.
Hmmm....well, I easily popped out the dimmer control and snapped it into the opposite hole with no problems.

#20 ·
No kidding? I suppose I might have cut out some plastic to make it fit, but I sure don't remember doing that. Of course there may be a difference between the 2006 and 2008 models. I also don't have the nifty microphone grille because you only get that with the sunroof panel.

#21 ·
Junebug - I had the same issue with the cutouts in my 09 when I installed the buttons in the center console near the cig lighter. They are not interchangeable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.