Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Air Conditioner

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ravenuer 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 RAV4 sport model and I am having problems with the air conditioner. I have been back to the dealer 4 times and they have no clue. In very humid weather the lines to the conditioner ice up and the air flow becomes very restricted. The dealer said it was due to us using an after market cabin air filter which was changed to the Toyota brand and this did not work. They changed the thermistic cooler and this did not work. They even let it idle for 2 hours in the parking lot (which I did not appreciate since it deleted my gas) and could not get it to ice up.
Once it ices up you have to turn it off until it defrost and then hope that it does not ice up again.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks Karen

#2 ·
Do you only have the freezing when the fan is running at slow speed? Have you ever seen it when the fan is running at the highest speed?. I bet it was running at the highest speed when the dealer ran it for 2 hours.

They changed the thermistic cooler and this did not work.
Could you mean the thermal sensor, which is mounted on the evaporator (coil) of the system, and should stop the AC from running when it reaches a few degrees above freezing. If this isn't the component that was replaced, then I suggest you check this sensor, and verify it is in tight contact with the evaporator coils.

Does water drip onto the roadway when the AC is running. If it doesn't, then the drain tube may be plugged and the water collects in the chamber until it freezes.

Has the system been tested for proper pressure. This test only takes a minute, and should verify a proper system charge.

#4 ·
RTexasF is right. Almost every system I have checked that is freezing up is low on refrigerant. I would have an AC shop check it out. It doesn't take much of a leak to make it freeze up.

Reactions: Karen
#5 · (Edited)
The work order says that that replaced the thermistic cooler and I will have to ask the dealer if this is the same as the sensor or a different part. I know it was an extensive labor job to replace. The system has been tested and says that it is functioning properly. I will have to check today to see if the water drips while the air is running. I know I have a long stream of water when the car is turned off.
Could you mean the thermal sensor, which is mounted on the evaporator (coil) of the system, and should stop the AC from running when it reaches a few degrees above freezing. If this isn't the component that was replaced, then I suggest you check this sensor, and verify it is in tight contact with the evaporator coils.

Does water drip onto the roadway when the AC is running. If it doesn't, then the drain tube may be plugged and the water collects in the chamber until it freezes.

Has the system been tested for proper pressure. This test only takes a minute, and should verify a proper system charge.[/QUOTE]

#6 ·
Karen, if there's water under the front when you turn off the engine, that should mean the drain is ok. Mine clogged last year and I had both front carpets waterlogged. What a mess.
Like others mentioned, I'd try a regular AC shop, or at least another dealer. If you can get it to ice up, don't see why they can't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.