Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Want to Add USB port next to Traction, Seat heater switch

34K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  chrisdavenport 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have got Rav4 2009 . I want to Add USB port next to Traction, Seat heater switch, which is just in front of the cup holders.
Main aim is to play music from USB stick.

Please help in finding how to do it.

thanks
Sachin

#5 ·
Some older USB slote related topics
here here , here, and and here.

I bought a USB charger/input for the accessory slot too, but when driving in dark I found the blue LED lights to bright.
So I searched the net and found a version with amber LED lights, same as al the LED lights in the RAV4 dash. Perfect!

Before:

After:

#7 ·
Thanks Theo & nouse4aname

I forgot to ask very basic question. The default music player in RAV4 has USB as input?
Pls reply if someone knows.
No, the factory head unit in the 2009 RAV4 had no USB support whatsoever. It wasn't until the 2012 model year that the RAV4 got this feature. There was an iPod adapter available, but not USB.

#9 ·
#11 ·
I bought a USB charger/input for the accessory slot too, but when driving in dark I found the blue LED lights to bright.
So I searched the net and found a version with amber LED lights, same as al the LED lights in the RAV4 dash. Perfect!

I bought the USB charger via "Linda Lin's auto accessory" at AliExpress: the item page is gone, but the seller told me he would make a new product page for the USB outlets coming week.
Be aware that you have to tell the seller at your order for what car brand, car type, outlet size, LED color, and version (USB/charge, or 2x charge) you want. The seller responds very quick.
You can mention my AliExpress order ID:73981699502259 then you will get the same as me, for a RAV4.3

The previous USB outlet I had was without the rubber dust flaps, because I find this version look better.
The new USB outlet with amber LED's which I received was the version with the rubber dust flaps, but no big deal. I could esaly exchange the plastic outlet fronts with the blue LED version.
I found the blue one on Amazon (see this review) and AliExpress but not the amber one in the Linda Lin store (or anywhere else) so sent them a message.

#12 ·
Here is the message I sent this morning:
bjmsam said:
Do you sell USB dash plug for Toyota Rav4 (2009 v4.3) with 1x charge, 1x audio, amber / yellow color like AliExpress order ID:73981699502259?
Here is the reply I received 25 minutes later:
Linda Lin said:
could you tell us what size of your car?
the price is 14USD including shipping fee to USA.

32mm x 20mm appears to be the right size, so I ordered one.

#23 ·
I ordered one.
It arrived today and took about 20 minutes to install using this thread for reference. I spliced CHARGE into the adjacent lighter socket for power and connected AUDIO to the USB plug on the rear of my Android head unit.

The standard outlet housing contains two USB pcb's slided in, and they can be removed, exchanged, etc.
It came with the slots reversed relative to the labels, so I simply reversed the cap.

#13 ·
I've installed several integrated USB charger, one of them with audio and charge feature to use USB with the alternative android radio that I have installed. I have also installed an illuminated button to connect and disconnect the USB charger when they are not in use (I don't have photo of the button. Tomorrow I'll take the photo to show you).

#15 ·
I was looking to find the exact same thing and gave up. For some reason they are very difficult to find. That is if they even exist.

I ended up getting one on amazon that replaces the cig outlet. Has dual USB extensions and an optional cover. Looks clean and can always be easily reverted back to stock.

#16 ·
Linda Lin Store on Ali Express sells the dual USB outlet in 1xPower/1xData, 2xPower, or 2xData. Also with amber LED illuminiation.
They are not visible on the site, but you can ask via a direct message. Just ask what you want and they assamble the oulet you like.
The standard outlet housing contains two USB pcb's slided in, and they can be removed, exchanged, etc. It's no rocket science.

#17 ·
I will ask to Linda about amber led illumination, but, I've install a switch and only is illuminated in blue when it only is in use... It would be good to know the output current, if there is 1A or 2.1A option.

#19 ·
I mean, I don't know if it's worth for me if I only take turn the blue light on when I'm using the charger...

When the switch is off, there aren't any light in the USB chargers. When I turn the switch on, the blue light is showed. In the center console, the red light is for data connection and always is on; the blue light works the same way that the other USB charger, it is commander by the same switch:

#20 ·
In my case the LED's behind the Charge/Data USB ports are always on. And I found the blue and red LED's far to bright when driving at night.
That is why I changed to a double USB outlet with soft amber LED's, just like the rest of the dashboard LED's. No bright light and better looks.

#26 ·
I'm looking to get a Dual USB (2x data) outlet for my 4.3 as well. The Kenwood ddx9904S I ordered has two USB inputs supporting rapid-charge. I sent a message to Lina Lin's aliexpress store a few days ago and haven't heard back yet. Still holding out hope, but has anyone been able to find these elsewhere?

If it comes down to it I suppose I could buy two and swap out the pcb, as Theo pointed out they just slide into the faceplate.

#28 ·
Unfortunately, Linda's port isn't available anymore (again?)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...&terminal_id=44a6108b6a7e4f93b79522b5e2161ecf

As many, I'd like to install a USB port and need one with a USB plug to connect to the USB input in my aftermarket HU. I've searched other threads, but the product pages of many of the mentioned/linked ports aren't working anymore.

Has anyone experience with any of the following, especially concerning fit?

https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Charg...or+Toyota+Scion+Car+Blank+Switch+Hole+US&th=1

https://www.ebay.com/i/112093115628?rt=nc

https://www.ebay.com/i/272677853289?rt=nc

#29 ·
Siniang,

I am also trying to get a USB charger and connection also. I have bought two of the three units you listed.

The Amazon one fits in the empty slots but it doesn't pass data to my USB connection on my radio.

The first one on from eBay I bought it and it works by passing signal to my radio for the USB but it doesn't fit in the empty slot correctly it only works for the other Toyota models but not my 2010 Rav4.

I have not purchased the third unit but you have to wait to month to get it from China but considering it.

If I find anything else let me know too.

#32 ·
Most of those empty accessory slot filling USB outlets have the same internal circuit boards. If you open one carefully you'll probably find 2 small USB circuit boards secured with a big drop of hot glue.
If you have 2 USB outlets both working half, then take each working circuit board out from both USB sockets, and put them in 1 USB outlet housing which fits the empty slot.

When busy exchanging the circuit boards you can aswell remove the blue/red LEDs and replace them for amber colored LEDs. This gives a far more dim light, and fits with the rest of the LED lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.