Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Squeak noise in back

87K views 71 replies 48 participants last post by  Robert Owiny 
G
#1 ·
I gotta problem, once and while there is a squeak noise that I think is at the back of the vehicle. I think it may be something in the suspension system. Does anyone else have this problem?
Regards

#7 ·
Our RAV4 makes the squeeking/creaking sounds in the rear when going over speed bumps as well. It has been doing this since the first month of ownership. It's gotta be the suspension at full, or near full compression when going over speedbumps. The noise is worse on higher speedbumps.

I'm going to ask my service advisor at my local Toyota Dealership when I take it in for an oil change next week about it...

#10 ·
For me, it's definitely the suspension. The door seals have silicone on them and do not squeeze at all.

#13 ·
Anyone have any progress in this? I've had this squeaking sound over bumps since day one of ownership and I figured I'd live with it since it's not often I go over speed bumps. Now, they just installed speed bumps by my parking area and it annoys the hell out of me.

I brought my car in last week for the drone fix and mentioned this rear suspension squeaking problem. I told him the same sound was coming out of the 900 mile loaner RAV4 they gave me and he said he took an '08 RAV4 out for a test and that car had the same sound too. At this time no fix but he is aware of the problem and with enough recognition from the people up above, then there will be a fix.

My '98 Altima had this sound but that was a '98 and this is RAV4's an '07!

#14 ·
Yeah mine still makes the noise. Been doing it from day one as well. I may try to get it fixed now that I've moved to another part of the country, but I'm not optimistic. Besides, I don't think it's anything than is causing damage, just annoying as hell. Heh, I think I just stopped caring.

#15 ·
I just started with one of these, but it might not be the same. Mine squeaks when the back seat is not in the all the way back position. I could reproduce it by shaking the back of the rear (middle) seat Drivers side, I set it all the way back and then it wouldn't do it.

G
#18 ·
I took the R4 into the dealer to do awarranty fix on rattles coming from the passenger side windshield pillar, passenger side door control panel and spare tire hard cover. They fixed the rattles by felting the parts.

During the road test though the Tech guy heard a squeaking from the rear suspension which I did not hear at all. He said the squeaking was being caused by an unlubricated joint in the right rear suspension trailing arm. He said it was not something that could be fixed by just applying lubricant and that a new trailing arm would need to be installed.

Can anyone provide confirm if this is true or not? Maybe this is a similar condition to everyone's query.

As this is a warranty fix I will probably go ahead and have the service done and in the meantime have them recalibrate the ECM to get rid of that low rev pinging that I'm also experiencing now that the weather has turned cool here in San Francisco.

Thanks.

#19 ·
I'm also experiencing this issue with my pre-owned 07 Rav4. I've complained about this 4 times. The first 2 times the dealer said they can't reproduce the noise and everything was normal. After a few months of hearing this squeaking noise each time I go over a speed bump I took it to another Toyota dealer and they tried lubricating it. It didn't do anything. I took it back a 4th time and the service technician said it was normal and had me test drive one of their other pre-owned Rav4's and it did the same thing.

I'm deciding if I should go back a 5th time. I'm only about 35K miles on it. At this point I'm not sure if replacing the suspension will rid me of this misery. Anyone else having this problem with their rear suspension on speed bumps atm?

Appreciate the feedback or suggestions. I chose a Toyota for their excellent reliability and I'm really disappointed with how Toyota is dealing with the problem.

G
#22 ·
source of squeak

I noticed a squeak from the back at around 500 miles. It was coming from the jack compartment. I stuffed an old t-shirt in there between the jack and the inner wall and it stopped the squeak for the most part. Still squeaks on washboards., but it cut out about 90% of the noise.

#23 ·
hp said:
I'm also experiencing this issue with my pre-owned 07 Rav4. I've complained about this 4 times. The first 2 times the dealer said they can't reproduce the noise and everything was normal. After a few months of hearing this squeaking noise each time I go over a speed bump I took it to another Toyota dealer and they tried lubricating it. It didn't do anything. I took it back a 4th time and the service technician said it was normal and had me test drive one of their other pre-owned Rav4's and it did the same thing.

I'm deciding if I should go back a 5th time. I'm only about 35K miles on it. At this point I'm not sure if replacing the suspension will rid me of this misery. Anyone else having this problem with their rear suspension on speed bumps atm?

Appreciate the feedback or suggestions. I chose a Toyota for their excellent reliability and I'm really disappointed with how Toyota is dealing with the problem.
HP,

I have the same problem: squeaks in rear suspension going over bumps. MY car has 7000 miles and I took it back to dealer 3 times. They claim that "some" RAV4s do that and some don't. They keep saying that it is not repairable and it's perfectly o.K. They even showed me another 2009 RAV4 (V6 9000 miles) that made the same sound; however, I drove another used 2009 RAV4 from their lot (30 000 miles I4) and it did not make any noise going over bumps. I am really confused and don't know what to do.... Did you find a solution yet?

#24 ·
If I had this problem and the dealership was clueless I would take it to an alignment shop and see if they can diagnose the problem. Nobody knows shocks, struts, bushings, etc. like people who focus on alignment and suspension only.

#25 ·
I will be bringing again my car to a different toyota dealership, we already test drove it and the advisor was shock on how loud the squeaking and rattling sound is, will update this topic once they found out what the problem is

#26 ·
yaknow.. i thought i heard something the other day but... not sure. im gunna continue listening. usually with the music so loud we don't hear anything until its too late!!! look forward to your updates. would absolutely like to know what to look for on my prius in the future..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.