Headrests uncomfortable - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Headrests uncomfortable

Don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I have a Rav4 Sport, and the headrests seem to protrude too far forward....I can't get comfortable because the headrest hits me in the middle part of the back my head, and pushes it forward. I have tried adjusting the headrest up and down. I wish they made one that was adjustable fore and aft. Are the headrests adjustable in the Limited or Standard models? This may be just part of the design of the Sport seat package....I haven't driven any of the other models, so don't know. I have never had a problem with headrests before, so not sure what is going on. I am 5'8" tall, so maybe these seats are made for taller people?? Have they ever made aftermarket headrests that are adjustable for older Rav4's? Maybe they will make some for the newer models.

Thanks, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:59 AM

I have a sports also, and I found the head rest to be too far back. I have to lean my head back to the point where I am staring at the roof of the car to rest my head. Adjustable head rest would be nice, have you try reclining the seat a little more?
#3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:03 PM

(Thread Starter)
I have reclined the seats as far back as is reasonable...makes some difference, but not enough. I actually took the driver's side headrest out, turned it around, and put it back in. That actually makes it too far away from your head (not much benefit in an accident), but at least it doesn't interfere with my head. I don't know if it has something to do with a person's height or not?? If you have a tall torso, then perhaps the headrest hits you in a different spot. As I said before, I am 5'8". My last SUV (pathfinder) was perfect in terms of seats.....hate to say it, but kinda miss it
#4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:02 AM

Try to adjust lumbar support, might help a little bit.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:31 AM

(Thread Starter)
The Sport model doesn't have a lumbar support....maybe the limited does. Sounds like the limited is the way to go in terms of seats and adjustments. Just make sure you put some miles on the Sport, and like the seats, before you buy one....I just took a quick spin, and didn't check it out too much.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 11:32 AM

(Thread Starter)
As a further side note, called the dealer where I bought my Sport from, and he said call 1-800-GO-TOYOTA. Called them, and they said call the dealer. Anyway, if you don't like the way the car fits you, then tough crappola. This is a new model, and you would think they would at least be alittle receptive, since the seats have changed from the last generation car. I can't get comfortable in the car, so my reccomendation is to make dang sure if fits you before you buy one....the limited has lumbar support, which may help. I just finally gave up, and turned the headrest around, so that it is completely out of my way. I don't know what dimensions the person has that Toyota is designing this car for, but it's not mine. One other gripe is that the steering wheel will not tilt down very far....it telescopes out and upwards....needs to come down more for my liking. I've ranted out for now....
#7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 11:45 AM

I wonder if you have a defective head rest on your driver seat, have you try switching the driver and passenger head rest?
#8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 02:26 PM

(Thread Starter)
I did try switching, and they are about the same. There could be a variance between cars though, as one person responded that his headrests were too far back. I need to take it back to the dealer, and compare to some other Rav4's perhaps. Problem is the dealer doesn't have any on the lot to compare to. The seat manufacturer could definitely have some variance in his process. The headrest receptacles in the seat determine the angle that the headrests jut forward. For now, I just turned the headrest around, so at least it is out of the way. To me, this is not the typical Japanese car design. It seems to be geared more for taller Americans (average height of 5'10" or more). If you are shorter, probably need to opt for the electric seat in Limited.....seems to have more adjustments. Concerning the Sport edition, I hope that Toyota will correct some of the ergonomics of this car, but unfortunately, that won't help me too much unless I buy a friggin car every year. Like my dad said, don't buy the first year of a new model.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 03:30 PM

Is the head rest different on the limited?
#10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 04:01 PM

(Thread Starter)
I don't know if it's different or not...wish I did. I am going to try and find a dealer that has one, and check it out. Since the Limited has power seats, and lumbar support, I feel that it could have a different design...if anybody out there knows, please let me know. It would be great if I could just swap headrests. Barring that, I'm going to see if an upholstery shop can modify them for me. I know that Toyota makes adjustable headrests in some of their cars, so may have to check that option out too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page