Please help with scratch removal advice. - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 02:23 AM
farnorthdriver

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Please help with scratch removal advice.

Well, I was loading a bunch of computer stuff in the back of my brand new '07 Rav and a piece of Aluminum computer chasis put a surface blemish in the rear interior panel --the one over the rear wheels wells. It's not a deep scratch more of a light colored scrape 1/2" wide and 4" long. Anything I can apply to this dark colored panel that'll make this scrape less apparent. --Somekind of plastic treatment spray or something? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
armorall seems to help.....it make the plastic drkr and helps in hiding scratches.....it will also protect your interior from certain elements.....
#3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 06:05 PM
SlyOne77

One complaint I've heard from other new toyota owners (especially camry's) is the how the plastic scratches easily. I've noticed this on my rav by the driver's footwell... I'd love to hear of something that you could put on to protect it.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 08:48 PM
paraver

If it is on any interior plastic,except on foam backed plastic dash boards ,there is a repair method that works. Unless the plastic has a very deep scratch this will work to hide,or in some cases eliminate the scuff or scratch. This will work with most theromplastic material.

Take a heat gun ,or propane torch ,and heat ONLY the scratched area. Be VERY careful not to hold it at the same spot. Wave the heat source over the scratched/scuffed area. The scratch in some cases will disappear . Only heat enough for the scratch to disappear,and not until the plastic gets shiny,as you are melting it then. Light colored plastics will yellow when heat applied,but darker colors will not. Do not touch the heated area because it will imprint whatever touches it,just let cool. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD ON PAINTED PLASTIC, ONLY MOLDED PLASTIC. Painted plastic should use touch up paint,and micro sand 600/1500 grit touched up area to blend in.

I use a propane torch with a pin point flame,quicker heat, narrower heat point,and easier to control . It's an old kayakers trick to clean up scratches on plastic boats.

As for protection I use 303 protectorant. Several applications give good scuff protection,and when applied to scuffs,will help hide them. Remove any protectorant before using heat method,as it will change color of heated area. Use rubbing alcohol to remove protectorant.

#5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
good idea paraver.....

========
Defender of the 4 banger!!!!

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/s.../2007_00010_01 <= website!
#6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 05:15 PM
screak

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraver
...It's an old kayakers trick to clean up scratches on plastic boats.

As for protection I use 303 protectorant. Several applications give good scuff protection,and when applied to scuffs,will help hide them. Remove any protectorant before using heat method,as it will change color of heated area. Use rubbing alcohol to remove protectorant.
Great tip! Awesome protectorant too. Been using that stuff for about 15 years and it works great for protecting, restoring and even mild cleaning. I had some very superficial scrapes in the front doors drink holders - NXT interior spray helped a bit, but it was the 303 that got the job done.

#7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:01 PM
farnorthdriver

Thanks a lot, Paraver.
I'll give it a try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page