iPod Through Aux Port - Weak/No Audio - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 AM
jagooch

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
iPod Through Aux Port - Weak/No Audio

I have a 3 week-old RAV4 2007 basic model, and thought getting my iPod to work with it would just be a matter of plugging in a mini-stereo cable from headphone jack on my generation 5 ( video ) iPod into the Aux port. However, this is not working as well as I had hoped.

What happens is when the running lights and headlights are off, I can get audio intermittently from my iPod. I'll press the aux/cd button on the stock stereo, and it will switch to that audio source. Then I have to crank the volume up to 32 to hear the music from the iPod. However, it will sometimes switch to FM1 radio on its own. Then I have to press the AUX button to switch it back.

Now, if I turn on the running lights or headlights, the stereo will not switch to AUX no matter how many times I press the AUX/CD button.

I have tried different mini-stereo cables that I have tested with between my computer speakers and my iPod ( works fine ), and I have tried cranking the iPod's audio all of the way up, but neither of these have affected the behavior of my car stereo.

Is it not correct to use the headphone out port of my iPod? Do a need a data connector to stereo-out converter of some type? Or perhaps the signal is too weak or I need to get something to "impedance match" the iPod with the car stereo? I am really out of ideas, though I have a belkin iPod charger/amplifier on order, in the hope the problem is with the signal strenght.

Thank You,

John Gooch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 11:43 AM
MadMack

I am just using a simple mini jack cable and it seems to work fine although I have to set the volume on my Nano way up. Other then that I have not noticed any of the things you have. No spontaneous switching to FM, etc.

I bought a simple charger that plugs in inside the console... the space between it and the mini plug is tight but works. The regular iPods should be easier as the plug is on the other end.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Same here - I'm using a simple Belkin double ended male cable and it sounds just fine, but have to crank up the volume on the IPod Nano.........

OC
#4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 01:29 PM

Garage
Sounds like you definitely have a problem. My iPod works fine with my stereo. I usually have the sound on my iPod almost all the way up.

Some of us have had other stereo issues, though. It seems that these stereos are not the best, and I think that Toyota should have gone with someone else.

You should take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. It may be something other than just replacing the head unit. There could be some kind of wiring problem somewhere, as well.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 06:59 PM

Where are you plugging your LineOut jack from the IPOD to.. is it the headphone jack or from a dock... if its from the headphone jack, you'll need to make sure your volume on the ipod is up as well.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 08:28 PM

to get the best audio from the ipod, don't use the headphone out... get a dock connector to mini jack cable.

to run off the ipod battery, something like this: http://www.colamco.com/store/product...Source=Froogle

to use as a charger and audio connection, this: http://www.compsource.com/pn/127033/Monster_Cable_293/

note: many, including myself, have experienced ground loop interference when plugged into AUX and POWER (lighter port). fix it by using something like this: http://www.nextag.com/Pacific-Micro-...96/prices-html
#7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 08:35 PM

I've been using the Monster iCharger for a while, but I don't want to add the ground loop isolator to an already cluttered center console.

I'll probably move the iCharger to my wife's car (same center console setup, no ground loop issue on her headunit) and purchase one of these for the RAV: http://www.cables4computer.com/newpr...roupcode=I3441

I'll just have to keep the iPod charged.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 12:19 AM
jagooch

Update - Its the Car

Today my iPod charger/amplifier arrived, and took it, my iPod, my Archo AV400, 2 stereo cables, and went to my RAV to see if I could get around the problem.

First I tried the charger/amp, which does use the data port ( previously I was using headphone out with volume at different levels, including maxed out ) for audio. It worked fine with headlights off, the second I turned the lights on, it switched from AUX to FM1. I tried the different cables, no change. With the Ipod volume on max and the amplifier on max, it still only worked with the headlights off.

Then I removed my iPod and tried my AV400. Same thing. Only worked with lights off.

I'll call my dealership service dept tomorrow and make an appointment to get it fixed.

Thanks for your help.

#9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:47 PM
jagooch

Update - Going to Dealer

I am taking it to the dealer this Wednesday. The tech doesn't believe me, so I have to bring my iPod with me and show him, lol.

#10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 PM
GeoSho

Ipod Issue

I have the base stereo system and my Ipod Nano works perfectly with a Belkin 3.5mm mini jack cable from Walmart for $4.47, just as was staed by someone earlier. You have to turn the Ipod volume control to max and then the stock stereo system volume settings work just fine. Your problem definitely sounds like your head unit is malfunctioning. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page