Amp Location Thought - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Huh??

Forgive my lack of audiophile knowkedge but I just made a new post on this topic. I'm going to put a 10" sub in the OEM rear door speaker location and the Kenwood amp in the door as well.

The speaker will have a "surround" to seal it off but I think it will have enough airspace to work. If not I'll get an 8" speaker.

So why can't a sub go in the rear door? (AND the amp?)

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:58 PM

You're not going to have enough air space to push the speaker if you do it that way. Regardless if there is enough physical room to mount both the speaker and amp there, you still need to make sure you have enough air space to make the speaker sound the way you want. Another thought ... if you put a large speaker there, you will get a hell of a lot of door rattle and the system won't sound right. Even my system needed sound proofing in the side storage compartments (jack and spare tire set storage area) to get rid of all the rattles. My 12" sub hits really hard and is loud, but I have enough airspace in the hidden storage compartment to push the speaker.

Bottom line... you need enough airspace to make the speaker cone flex. I don't think the back hatch will do that for you, especially with an amp there as well. If the audio place is able to custom make a surround for the speaker and amp, it may work, but I doubt it. Plus, you will lose that storage amount as well. The speaker they have their now isn't a true sub. It is only a 6" speaker, so that isn't an issue with the stock system.

The deeper you go, the cooler it gets!
#13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:47 PM

I'm interested in putting an amp in one of the storage areas under the floor in the trunk (ideally the smaller pocket towards the front of the car). For those who have done this, is it OK that these spaces are enclosed? Do you have to leave them open/ajar to allow air flow?

I want to add a 5 channel JL XD900/5 or a 4 channel XD400/4. I guess these amps run pretty cool, but it still says in the manual to not enclose them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page