Amp Location Thought - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Amp Location Thought

You know. I was thinking of where a good place to mount an amp when I thought of an interesting idea. Of course this only works for those with the JBL system but just remove the rear door sub and mount the amp there. You aren't going to use the sub anymore.

Cars, snowboarding, house modding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 11:09 AM

True, that sub isn't a true sub anyways. When I had my system installed, they detached that sub, since my JL Audio 12W6 would trash the hell out of that sub. My amp was installed in the hidden storage compartment along with the sub. I have an Alpine PDX 600W amp. There are a lot of places to install an amp in the rav. The amps these days are geting smaller and smaller. Even under the seats is a good option.

The deeper you go, the cooler it gets!
#3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Keep in mind under the front seats are the heater/cooling ducts for the rear seat. Mounting the amp there would block it off. Of course if you dont like the poeple in the back seat, then who cares!

08 Rav4 Lim V6 4WD
08 Scion xB
04 Matrix Xr
72 Datsun 240z
93 Kawasaki ZX6E
03 Kawasaki KFX80
02 Bayliner 175
#4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:24 PM

True... that is why I feel the hidden storage compartment under the cargo area is the best place for speakers and an amp. It is hidden and out of the way, large enough to provide all the air space you need to push the speakers, and you still have plenty of cargo room to haul whatever you need.

#5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colddiver31
True... that is why I feel the hidden storage compartment under the cargo area is the best place for speakers and an amp. It is hidden and out of the way, large enough to provide all the air space you need to push the speakers, and you still have plenty of cargo room to haul whatever you need.
I have 3rd row so that doesn't work.

Cars, snowboarding, house modding.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

I mount my amp on the speaker box.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 04:59 PM

I also mounted my amp in the hidden storage area - it provides for easy access to fine-tune your settings. Another option you might consider is under the second row seats which should fit smaller, low-profile amps (mostly Class D amps). I recall a R4W member installed their amp under the second row seats, maybe they can chime in with more info.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to rav4ian
Is there storage compartment toward the front side of hidden storage in cargo area? Mine does. I basically took it off and fit in 2 amps and replace the compartment with customize wood wrap with carpet materials. At least that's what I'm going to do next month. What the audio installer did was as short cut. He just cut the bottom part off and fit in the 2 amps. That's not a good idea since it costs almost 400 bucks in case you want it back on (I asked the dealer).

My other recommendation is to get Alpine 5-channel output amp (PDX-5). It's small and powerful. Stick it inside one of the side plastic trim panel next to the third seat area just like Toyota did with the JBL (passenger side).

Don't hang it inside the rear door. Your door hinges might give up faster as it's already burdened by spare tire weight.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:28 PM

There is a TON of room behind the glove box - I bet you could fit an amp back there in some sort of a creative bracket. Wiring would also be easy there (close to the radio, close to the battery...)
#10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitingon
There is a TON of room behind the glove box - I bet you could fit an amp back there in some sort of a creative bracket. Wiring would also be easy there (close to the radio, close to the battery...)
There is a lot of room there, but it wouldn't be that easy to get to if you need to make adjustments. I have both JBL Sirius pieces installed there. My Alpine PDX600 is one of the smaller amps on the market that is still able to push a 12" sub with 600 watts. There is no way that would fit behind the glove box with the other two Sirius components there.

The best options I see for mounting an amp is the hidden compartment, under a seat, or on the speaker box itself. I understand having the 3rd row seat limits the space. My suggestion is to take the Rav to a car audio place and get their recommendation on the best place for an amp based on your interior configuration. Just please don't take it into Best Buy or Circuit City. Take it to a real reputable car audio place.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page