Detailed Front Speaker Installation w/ pics - Page 7 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#61 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Turbo5upra: That's interesting.. it would make the sound stage seem wider, or actually, less localized, because you loose all sense of image placement and the lower frequencies from each speaker are going to cancel each other out so you will have less bass. Maybe your sub woofer is making up for the bass loss?

There are some good tone tests and music tests with phase in and out at this link. If your speakers are now out of phase, they will sound like in phase when you play the out of phase test. I would be interested in what you think when you play them... maybe your setup is actually in phase?

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 06:49 PM

I set relative volume then phase- quick tune as the new amps are on the way... Why I don't use the amps I bought for it is beyond me but what the hay....

After relative volume I went back and turned off tweeters and subs as the mids play most important cues from 53 on up to 4k... I used a few music tracks I know well to center it up roughly... Started out center in the left door with them in phase... Flopped right mid and it moved center to the horn button... I used ta to move it to center... Did similar with the tweeters...

Sub is on the dash- center is dead center. Height is about 3-4" above the dash but I'm 6'5...

I played the iasca disk the other night and it was in phase... The 7 drum beats need a bit of work- slightly off.

Going to give tuning with just the narritive from the MECA disk a try per a friends suggestion- center and tonality that is.

Reginal finals are 2 weeks away- I gots me some work to do!
#63 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure how you are doing all that but it sounds like you've got everything in control! All the best.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#64 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 03:09 PM

In the process of another audio upgrade myself. I was wondering if any of you ended up breaking any OEM pieces such as door panel clips, etc? I am trying to think and prepare ahead a bit here before my installer starts popping off my doors and doing the install. A friend recommended that I purchase a bag of the door clips just in case but looking at the clips themselves in the photo's attached within this forum, it doesn't look like there is really anything to break in reference to them. I am in Chicago and it is cold and the plastic will be more brittle.. Like I said, just trying to think ahead..

I am having CDT HD-62's installed to replace my front components and a PPI 900.4 amp to power them. Getting a 4 gauge OFC amp kit from KnuKonceptz & 14 gauge speaker wire from StreetWires.

Plan on using the rear's for fill only and perhaps one day in the future I will throw a sub in somewhere.. I want SQ.. And right now stock has enough bass for me, so we will see.

Anything else you guys think I need to pick up before bringing vehicle and parts to my installer? Recommendations? Suggestions? Warnings? Any specific area's that my installer is going to run into difficulty?

Any and all help from you audiophiles would be greatly appreciated!!!!

2012 Magnetic Grey Metallic Rav4 Sport 4WD 4cyl
#65 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:53 PM

Inocense, I just finished installing Polk db651 in all four doors, a Blaupunkt 470 amp and a JVC KD-AHD79 head unit. I can tell you from experience that the install was a PITA. I am familiar with working on cars, changed the front suspension on my Porsche 944 turbo, but nothing of that sort holds a candle to what you are about to take on.

Removing the door panels is easy - literally takes 15 minutes to remove all 4 panels but that's where the fun stops and the nightmare begins.

1. You have to drill out rivets to remove factory speakers. Use a drill bit that is bigger than the shaft of the rivet. [Thank you, Carbon.]

2. If you're running your own speaker wire through the rear doors, you will have to drill through the factory molex connectors. These are made from some kind of super alien bullet proof plastic and it takes a while to drill through these. There is no other way that I know of passing wires through to the doors. Each door connector took me an hour to drill through.

3. You will probably get Scosche SAT-6 speaker adapters with your speakers from Crutchfield. Don't be stupid like me and DO NOT use these ... make your own adapters or pay someone to cut custom ones for you. If you did not choose the custom-bracket option, please read on ...

You need to use long, thin sheet metal screws to mount SAT-6 adapters to your RAV4's doors. Sounds easy but lining these up is a PITA and you have to break off one ear from the adapters. Once you've done this, you will be happy but only for a short while. Your RAV4 will soon wipe the smile off your face when you go to mount your speakers on the adapters you just installed. What now, you ask? The speaker holes will not line up to those on the adapters. So option 1: drill holes in the SAT-6 adapters and mount your speakers. If you are stupid like me, you will not choose this option and do what I did. Read on ...

Take the factory adapters that came with your speakers and mount them on top of the SAT-6 adapters with some 1/4 sheet metal screws and then mount your speakers (db651) on top of these.

Once you've done this, you will be happy for another short while ... until you try to install the front door trim panels. The factory speaker grills will not clear the db651 tweeters. Easy enough, you'll say "just go ahead and remove the factory speaker grill". Well .. the silver trim ring on the grill is attached to the door panel with 4 plastic rivets. Drill these out and you will notice that the grill and the door panel are a single piece! You can use a jig saw or a drill and plastic cutter to remove the factory grill from the front door panels. Do not remove the factory grill from the rear doors as those clear the db651 (I did ... to make it worse for myself and to make all 4 doors look the same). It will take you about 30 minutes to remove the grill from each front door.

Once you've done all this, you can re-install the door panels and check out your new sound system. Do yourself a favor and check everything before you close the doors back up.

So the lessons that I've learned are:
1. Do not use db651 speakers ... they sound GREAT but are a PAIN to install.
2. If you do use db651 speakers, get a custom bracket made. There is a trade off here though - if you mount the speakers too deep in the door you run the risk of getting them wet. db651 are marine rated but I did not take the chance. My "solution" of mounting factory db651 adapters on top of SAT-6 ones is alright because it keeps the speaker coil covered ... just like the factory RAV4 speakers are covered with a palstic ring. The thing with this is that you get to cut the factory grills out and buy 8" grills to replace those.. there is a "Turn your RAV4 into a Concert Hall in 4 weekends" thread on here, where I borrowed the speaker grill idea from.

Also, it's worth it to insulate the door panels ... and do not forget to disconnect the factory tweeters.

But in the end your efforts will pay off as your new audio system will sound miles better than the factory crap that Toyota put in.

I wonder why Toyota made it so difficult to replace the factory speakers. Is it that they wanted to keep the factory JBL option as the only viable upgrade? Anyone care to speculate?

Last edited by ibtisamjawad; 12-13-2012 at 07:27 PM.
#66 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

That was funnny. Reminds me of that movie, "The Money Pit"

I didn't think it was that difficult, but I agree, it isn't for someone who wants an easy job.

The Following User Says Thank You to doane2u For This Useful Post:
ibtisamjawad (12-14-2012)
#67 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 PM

Lol ... I'm glad you saw the humor

It is definitely not an easy job. It was also made considerably harder than it was by my insistence on "doing before planning" or "not stopping to think".
#68 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM

I'm planning on following these examples and installing new speakers in the front doors. I'm probably also going to do some sound deadening. My problem is that it's probably going to take me a while (I have 2 young children) and I need to use the car. When I get the door panel off is it OK or not smart to leave it off and still use the car? From the photos, it looks like the awkward part would be the door handle which would be hanging by the cable and I'm guessing would be hard to use.
#69 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmills View Post
I'm planning on following these examples and installing new speakers in the front doors. I'm probably also going to do some sound deadening. My problem is that it's probably going to take me a while (I have 2 young children) and I need to use the car. When I get the door panel off is it OK or not smart to leave it off and still use the car? From the photos, it looks like the awkward part would be the door handle which would be hanging by the cable and I'm guessing would be hard to use.
I'm down with helping depending if you can spend one day- the door panels come off in under 5 mins each... So I wouldn't worry too much about that- proper deadening with 2 people along with speaker install should take 2-3 hours. I have pics of the latest install I need to post up- I'm finally happy when I have to drive this vehicle.
#70 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo5upra View Post
I'm down with helping depending if you can spend one day- the door panels come off in under 5 mins each... So I wouldn't worry too much about that- proper deadening with 2 people along with speaker install should take 2-3 hours. I have pics of the latest install I need to post up- I'm finally happy when I have to drive this vehicle.
Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind. Are you in upstate New York?

You're right that it probably wouldn't take me too long. I really should just go for it. My MO is take take the panel off and then agonize for a long time before doing anything. I do know I want to take the panels off first before I buy some speakers to check the window clearance and have a plan for the tweeter install.

I'd love to see your new install photos. It's been inspiring seeing all the work people do in these forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page