Detailed Front Speaker Installation w/ pics - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Detailed Front Speaker Installation w/ pics

I just pulled out the Infinity Kappa 652.5i speakers out of my previous car and transferred them to my Rav4 and thought I'd include some pictures for those of you who plan on installing front speakers some day. Now, I was able to get a lot of information from RPM on his post: http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15062 so I must give RPM credit on showing me the light, but I thought I'd just include some additional pictures and some additional useless info and comments since my post is primarily just the front door speakers, specifically with my good old Infinity Kappas. Hope this will help those of you considering replacing front door speakers on a 4.3 Base Rav4. Here goes...

As we're all aware, the sound quality on these factory speakers are truly lacking. I just keep telling myself, "it's ok. it's just easier not having to do anything." But seeing how my old Infinity Kappas were wasting away in my previous car, I had to pull them out and do something/anything with it! It wouldnt cost much to swap them so after reviewing RPM's post, the speaker trade looked simple enough and I began the process.

I start popping out the interior door switches with a nylon pry tool. I do a terrible job as I always do even with electrical tape taped all over the pry tool, I end up scratching up and chipping some of the plastics

There's 2 plugs you need to unplug after pressing each respective clip. 1 is for the door lock and the other is the window switch.

The arm rest and door release cover come off easily as described in RPM's post. Then you have to remove the side view mirror cover. Pry 1 edge and simply pull off. This clip seemed to be a softer/easier one.

Then there's the door cover. Just feel your way around to find a couple of the clips with a pry tool and pop those plastic clips out. I didnt think this part was that easy. Make sure your pry tool is cushioned with electrical tape so you dont scratch off any paint searching for those clips (bare metal= rust). Use the pry tool to get 2-3 clips off, then use your hands to pull off the rest in a quick jerking motion. On the door, you'll see some of the clips (white small circles) actually stuck to the door. That wasnt supposed to happen.

It's ok. Just use the pry tool and pop them out, then slide them back onto the back of the door cover. All is well.

After removing the door cover, everything is exposed, including the speaker. I used a 11/64 drill bit to drill off the rivets. You might need pliers to hold the rivet so it wont spin with the drill bit.

The front of the rivets are gone but some plastic inserts hold the back of the rivets in place so just use pliers to pull those off and the back rivets come off easily.

Here's the culprit. The factory no-brand speaker woofer. Heck, even my previous nissans had factory Clarion or Onkyo speakers. But not Toyota, they're too busy allocating funds into the cup holder inserts or something. Cant complain too much, my previous cars were foam surrounds that ripped easily, Toyota was nice enough to use cloth surrounds on a paper woofer (which will eventually rip too).

Then on the back you have this cute little magnet. Yeah, that metallic part is the magnet. From the back you can see why you need speaker brackets. Basically, Toyota made their speakers in a triangular frame and that frame is mounted to the door. There's no separating the speaker from the frame unless you want to make it a project to somehow make it fit by ripping out the factory woofer from the frame (needs more time). You cant buy speakers with triangular frames so you'll need a separate speaker adapter bracket.

My Infinity Kappa 652.5i's make their 2nd debut. If you look at all the Infinity Kappa's in the same series, you'll see that they're all the same except newer model numbers (652.5i, 652.7i,652.9i). They all have VERY similar frequency response and the Plus One CMMD woofer, unipivot tweeter, rubber surrounds and external crossover. So if you have a pair of old Infinity Kappas (or any old but good speakers), bring them back to life. It'll cost nothing and is very green for the planet!

Ahhh.. here's a real magnet.

And it fits too! Just need that bracket.

I pick up a 1/4" thick MDF board from the local Home D and start tracing. I thought I'd double up on it to make it thicker (because the 1/2" board cost $2 more and is harder to cut!)

I dont really have the right tools so cutting this MDF was a B@#$%.

Last edited by JuneBug; 07-14-2011 at 11:46 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cococola For This Useful Post:
chex313 (05-10-2014), doane2u (08-24-2012), zyphlus (10-01-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to Alwin
Excellent Job, thanks for the info.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to we5leyz Send a message via MSN to we5leyz
#4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 AM

Bravo!!!!

I think this give plenty of people the confidence now to replace these terrible stock door speakers. Great pics
#5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone! Fall's a good time to change speakers by the way. Winter weather makes plastics harder, and thus, easier to crack or break those plastic clips, just another tip for you guys.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

cococola, great job on the instructions and the pics!

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
#7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:44 AM

nice install, pictures and info...do you have a link to where you bought the 3/4" thick MDF speaker brackets on ebay?
#8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 PM

(Thread Starter)
Regarding the speaker brackets, I think posting a link will expire for future readers so instead, do a search in ebay for "toyota speaker adapter". You'll see onces for PVC or MDF. I hear MDF is better acoustically (but not significantly). They're $22 shipped from mbtechusa and he ships real fast too.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 PM
rav409

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
How much space did you have between the speaker and the grill/cover?

#10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Great Install!! I now have this page bookmarked for future installation.

RAVPHOREVA!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page