Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Auto Door Locks using a lock pulse generator

51K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  pdragon79 
#1 · (Edited)
Thanks to xurav4 who started this thread:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-...c-door-locking-upon-gear-shift-2007-rav4.html

and eitingon in that same thread, I found out about this little door lock pulse generator module from Directed Electronics:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8488_Directed+452T.html

Since I didn't want to use relays, and the price was right, I ordered one and installed it today. Seems to work great. It produces a 1 second pulse to lock the doors when I put the shift into reverse. But this module can do more. You can wire it to lock the doors immediately when you turn on the ignition. It can also unlock the doors when you turn off the key. Here is a scan of the first page of the instructions:

https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/mods/photos/Directed452T.jpg

As you can see, it can produce a positive or negative pulse. On the RAV, I needed the negative pulse to apply to the pink lock wire, so I used the green wire. To trigger the pulse I used the violet wire which connects to the red wire for the backup lights. The +12 volts is on the grey wire on the same plug as the pink wires. And finally the black wire is connected to the ground bolt in the kick panel. There is a white plastic bracket at the bottom of that kick panel area, and it has an empty space where the module can be inserted lengthwise and it is held tight.

If you want the doors to lock when you first turn on the ignition, you need to connect the violet wire to the switched 12 volts which can be found on the blue wire in that same plug. If you want the doors to unlock when the ignition is turned off, simply connect the blue wire to the upper pink wire in that plug.

Thanks to everyone, especially xurav4 and eitingon for their fine efforts! This is a great mod!

See less See more
#4 ·
"Pulse generator mod?! I guess I am just low tech and cheap. If I want the doors locked or unlocked, I use my pinky and push the lock/unlock switch. :D :lol:

#5 ·
Thank you, James! This will be my next mod. Your posting of the details is much appreciated and look very helpful.

I might also see if I can find some orange LEDs to mount in the door housing to shine down on the lock and window buttons while I'm at it, but that's a topic for another thread.

I'll have to wait until it warms up, though. This is the wrong time of year to be outside wiring stuff up here in the northeast!

#6 ·
James-

Just to be clear, the Pink (door lock) wire is the middle wire in the lowest row of the lowest plug under the cowl cover. The grey (+12 volts) wire is in the same plug as the above Pink wire - is it the only grey one in that plug? Lastly, the Pink (unlock) wire is also in the same plug but it is in the second to last row all the way to the left. Is this correct?

TIA

#8 ·
CROW said:
James-

Just to be clear, the Pink (door lock) wire is the middle wire in the lowest row of the lowest plug under the cowl cover. The grey (+12 volts) wire is in the same plug as the above Pink wire - is it the only grey one in that plug? Lastly, the Pink (unlock) wire is also in the same plug but it is in the second to last row all the way to the left. Is this correct?

TIA
Yep, that is correct, Crow.

#9 ·
James...

When it gets warmer out, I will do the 08 through the ignition switch.
I'd like to do the 09 with push button start and off. Do you think the wires will be the same colors from the ignition switch??
Also, does the wire that shuts off the engine apply negative to the coil??

Richard

#10 ·
Attached pulse generator as described above. However, the doors to consistently lock with ignition, but they DO NOT unlock when vehicle is turned off. Here is how it is wired:

Pulse Generator ==> Car

Green ==> Bottom Pink
Blue ==> Upper Pink
Violet ==> Large Blue Wire (bottom right)
Red ==> Grey (constant +12 volt)
Black ==> Ground

Is anyone else having the same problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, vehicle is a 2008 RAV4 Limited.

Thanks in advance.

#18 ·
1555obed said:
eitingon said:
I have the pulse generator set up to lock on ignition on and unlock on ignition off.
Show how you did it? Show how you connect the wires? Cause I order this pulse to buy it.

Thank you!!!!!
I have now the pulse. I check the installation instructions to lock on ignition on and unlock on ignition off. This is how to wire according to the instructions.

Pulse---------------Car
Orange-------==> Activated (Ignition - 12V)
Violet---------==> Activated (Ignition +12V)
Red +12V----==> Gray (Constant +12V)
Black----------==> Ground
Green---------==> Bottom Pink (Lock)

Blue-----------==> Upper Pink (Unlock)
Blue/White---==> Upper Pink (Unlock)

Im not sure witch Blue is But I will check in the weekend when Im going to install it.

Let you know.....

#19 ·
1555obed said:
1555obed said:
eitingon said:
I have the pulse generator set up to lock on ignition on and unlock on ignition off.
Show how you did it? Show how you connect the wires? Cause I order this pulse to buy it.

Thank you!!!!!
I have now the pulse. I check the installation instructions to lock on ignition on and unlock on ignition off. This is how to wire according to the instructions.

Pulse---------------Car
Orange-------==> Activated (Ignition - 12V)
Violet---------==> Activated (Ignition +12V)
Red +12V----==> Gray (Constant +12V)
Black----------==> Ground
Green---------==> Bottom Pink (Lock)

Blue-----------==> Upper Pink (Unlock)
Blue/White---==> Upper Pink (Unlock)

Im not sure witch Blue is But I will check in the weekend when Im going to install it.

Let you know.....
This is NOT how I did it - there is only wire needed for lock and one wire needed for unlock. I can look later this week and post the connections I made.

#33 ·
Lock when shifts out of park/Unlock when ignition goes off

cougar548,

I am also looking to do the same (lock when shifts out of park and unlock when ignition goes off). But, from what I understand how 452T module works, it can only be configured to act on one trigger. Our setup has two triggers, shift-out-of park and ignition-off. To accomplish that two 452T modules are required.

BTW, I have ordered two 452T modules and will try out my theory. I will post my result soon. My only concern is if there is space in the instrumental panel to hide both modules. We'll see.

#22 ·
Mine is still working fine with the pulse generator. I'm sure the relay would work fine--it's cheaper and simple. I only wired mine up to lock when shifting out of Park--I don't like how some cars unlock all the doors when shifting back into Park, because I might be in a dark alley waiting for someone.

#46 ·
JuneBug,

I know this is a old thread, but I only recently got a RAV4!
From your instructions, it seems like I can wire the lock to backup lights, and unlock to ignition off.

Can you (or anyone) confirm that it will work that way?

Or as others say, I'll need to have two devices..

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
The pics in the PDF over in the relay thread are very good. Here are a couple pics after my install of the pulse generator.

vvv behind Driver's Cowl Cover vvv

Taps into ground wire (black into brown), power (red into grey), door lock (green into lower pink). Directed part # 452T shoved into bottom slot with excess wires in slot above.

vvv Fuse Box Panel vvv

Tap into back-up lights (violet into red).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.