JBL Amp Location and other stereo/speaker questions? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 PM
frnocom

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
JBL Amp Location and other stereo/speaker questions?

Hello, I am new to the forums. I have a 2006 V6 Limited with the JBL sound system (I have the 6 disc changer as well as the rear woofer ). I also have the 3rd row seats in the back.

First off, I have spent a few days reading and searching these forums to find answers to my questions and have not been able to come up with any concise results. My main question is: where the heck is the JBL amp located? This link: http://www.jbltoyota.com/Toyota_rav4/amplifier.asp did not help me out a bit. What molding should I peel back and look under? Where exactly is the amp located? Any photos?

I was originally planning on just adding a powered sub to the factory JBL system, but after reading multiple threads on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to do that with this JBL crap in my vehicle. So my next question is, IF I do want to actually add an amp and a boxed sub, I will need a new head unit . And if I get a new head unit, I might as well bypass the JBL amp and power the door speakers (might get new ones anyways) directly from the new head unit. Theoretically I would need to rewire the whole system right?

I have gone from simply adding a bazooka tube or something to a stock system, to needing to replace almost everything....which is fine with me. I love a good sounding stereo.

Recap: Where is the stock JBL amp located? and
Should I just rewire the whole system (from HU to door speakers) to utilize the full effect of the increased power an aftermarket HU would provide over the JBL amp?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:45 PM
frnocom

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Think I just answered my question about where the amp was located after searching the threads even more:

observe: http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...ke/SP_QP_1.jpg

#3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wow - removing that amp looks like a PITA.

Glad I chose sport over limited - simple stereo installation with just two screws, and a standard toyota wiring harness.

Perhaps you don't need to take it out though - does the wiring for all 4 speakers go to the JBL amp? You could also just rewire the connectors at the amp to bypass and route directly to the speakers as well.

If you are looking for recommendations on a good replacement - most people are looking for something that has a directly iPod hook up so you can just load up the tunes you want, and play hours and hours at a time.

Alpine has the XDA line when has great sound and you can wire it up and route your ipod to the glovebox (vs. out in the open like the factory line in). That's what I did anyways. Charges it, plays/navigates from the headunit, and shows album covers.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page