Has anyone built a car bed inside their Rav4 for camping? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Has anyone built a car bed inside their Rav4 for camping?

I do a lot of car camping and I, my girlfriend and my dog all sleep inside the Rav4 quite comfortably with all our gear. It took me a while to design and build my car bed, dog bed and storage and I was curious if anyone else had built anything for this purpose? I'm always looking to modify and upgrade my design and will share my creation if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:23 PM
WTF

I'm interested. Pics?

Meh.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 01:51 PM

Please do - I'm always interested to see what others have done with their RAVs.

I've slept in my RAV on multiple occasions with two of these memory foam dog pads. The dimensions of the pad are a near perfect fit and the 3'' memory foam is just the right thickness for me. Very comfortable. Pic in album.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:06 PM

(Thread Starter)

Here's the bed fully assembled with Futon, comforter, pillows and sleeping girlfriend (she didn't know I took the pic). The front seats are slid and folded all the way forward. Iím 6 feet tall and when Iím sleeping, my head neither touches the driverís seat, nor do my feet touch the tailgate. Widthwise, in the shoulders where it counts, the bed is just a few inches shy of a queen sized bed. We use a queen futon from Ikea in the car.

The bed is in three sections, only one of which needs to be lowered for driving. This piece is held in place by three Allen bolts and is held up by two pvc pipes which simply pull out. Once disconnected, this piece just sits behind the front seats, out of the way. Since I chose to remove the rear seats in this design, the additional storage under the bed where the rear seats would normally be ends up being quite large.

These pictures were taken with the car empty but even with the car packed, the futon and bedding just fold up like a taco towards the back door, tucked under the dog bed / shelf as youíll see in the pictures further down.

The foot end of the bed is hinged so it can be lifted up to access the rear storage space.

Now, if we want to fold everything up for storage and put the rear seats back in, simply remove 3 more allen bolts and everything slides back behind the rear seats. I usually just take everything out but I wanted to have the option of storing it with the rear seats still functional.

Here we see the queen sized futon along with the down comforter, 4 pillows and extra blanket folded over and sandwiched between the dog bed/shelf and the bottom of the bed. The picture from the back of the car looks complicated like some crazy car camping hamburger but it's actually pretty simple. On the bottom are the items in the "trunk" below the bed, then window screens and window shades, then 1/2 the bed, next, a few things stuffed into the "bed taco," then the other side of the bed and finally the dog bed with a few blankets on top.

With this design, setting up the bed when I make camp is pretty quick and easy and only takes about 3 or 4 minutes.

1) remove the cooler and dog toys from the bed platform behind the front seats

2) move the front seats forward and reconnect the removable platform at the head of the bed with the 3 allen bolts.

3) from the rear of the car, push the top of the futon forward until it pops out from under the dog bed. The bedding will unroll with the futon and will already be in place for sleeping.

I just got back a few days ago from a 5,500 mile road trip along the east coast, down to Florida and back. Here's everything we brought on the trip with us minus the 4 pillows, down comforter and extra blanket.

The core of the bed frame that makes the bed solid and stable is made out of 2X6 wood with lots of brackets and screws. The bed is very sturdy and doesn't wobble or flex at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marley365 For This Useful Post:
SirKronan (04-01-2013), Steven_in_Toronto (05-04-2014)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

now that's a unique mod!

To The BlackMobile!!!
#6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Wow, that is amazing! The ingenuity of Rav owner never ceases to amaze me. This is truly inspiring.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 06:40 PM
WTF

OK i didn't expect that. hahaha! That's awesome, you didn't hold back one bit. 8)

I like to crash out in my car during my lunches while at work. I was thinking of doing something more like what RAVPHO uses, but something that can fold up in to the hidden storage compartment like a yoga mat (not vinyl but something softer).

Meh.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Holy crap that's interesting. When I saw the title, I was going to say something smartass like "Aerobed with seats folded down". That's got to be the most interesting thing I've seen in a while. Now if someone can show a mod for the ultimate Rav4 tailgate party.

Cars, snowboarding, house modding.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to Gbcue Send a message via MSN to Gbcue Send a message via Yahoo to Gbcue
Since there's no handle for the back door, do you climb in the 2nd row and close those doors?
#10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 07:21 PM

Wow, that's great!

I've gone camping with mine with my wife and slept in the back as well. We slid the front and 2nd row seats as far forward as possible.

We noticed there's enough length (I'm 5'10"), but there's a void in the floor created by sliding the 2nd row seats forward. I rolled and stuffed towels in that void to make an even surface to sleep on, but there's probably better solution. I put a thin mattress pad on top of that and slept fine.

When we go camping again next year, we're thinking an air matress might be the answer as it takes up minimal space when not in use.

'09 4WD V6 Limited
Blizzard Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page