No radio power when engine is off - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
No radio power when engine is off

I have a 2010 Rav4 with the smart key system (don't have a key, just push a button to start/ stop the engine).

I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep the radio playing when I turn off the engine (so I can listen to music while I wait in the car at the gas station, etc.).

The radio power button doesn't do anything, nor does pressing any of the keys on the radio display or steering wheel controls.

When I turn the engine back on, the radio plays as normal. While the engine is running I can use the radio power button as normal too.

Am I not thinking of something obvious?

Any help appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

2009 Owner's Manual section 2-1. Driving procedures page 144 says

Quote:
n Changing “ENGINE START STOP” switch mode
Modes can be changed by pressing the “ENGINE START STOP”
switch with the brake pedal released. (The mode changes each
time the switch is pressed.)
OFF*
The emergency flashers can
be used.
ACCESSORY mode
Some electrical components
such as the audio system can
be used.
The “ENGINE START STOP”
switch indicator turns amber.
IGNITION ON mode
All electrical components can
be used.
The “ENGINE START STOP”
switch indicator turns amber.
*: The engine cannot be
switched to OFF unless the
shift lever is in P

Stopping the engine in an emergency
If you want to stop the engine in an emergency while driving the vehicle,
push and hold the “ENGINE START STOP” switch for more than 3 seconds.
However, do not touch the “ENGINE START STOP” switch while driving
except in an emergency. If the engine stops while the vehicle is being driven,
this could lead to an unexpected accident.
Hmmm. Is it really the case that the switch indicates amber in both accessory and run?
#3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to Gbcue Send a message via MSN to Gbcue Send a message via Yahoo to Gbcue
Yes, it indicates amber.

I can't figure out how to turn the engine off without losing power to the radio, so I can listen to it un-interrupted...

-- 2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited V6 4WD -- Pacific Blue Metallic -- Leather -- Tow Prep -- Trailer Hitch -- Moonroof --
-- OEM Hood Deflector -- Upgraded Horn -- LED Interior Lighting, Backup, and License Plate -- Thule T2 (916xtr) Hitch-Mount Bike Rack --

#4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 08:28 PM

I really don't want to sound like a total Luddite here (I'm the techno-geek of my family), but wouldn't life be a lot simpler in this case with an actual key operating the ignition? Just turn the key to the "ACC" position and the radio works while the engine doesn't - easy as pie.

I don't see the benefit of the "s-m-r-t" key - it seems to make most things more complicated. As evidence, I offer the fact that there are umpteen pages in the owners manual dedicated to explaining how to do things with the smart key, and a few lines explaining the "dumb" key.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 04:58 PM

New to the forum but I'll make a humble attempt since I think I have a solution to the OP's problem.

The key is to keep the amber light on when switching off the engine. Basically, going from the ON position to the ACC position with the smartkey. This can be accomplished by leaving the gear selected to a position other than P and NOT stepping on the brake when pushing the START button. I find that the safest way to do this without the vehicle moving is to set the parking brake and selecting N with your foot off the brake pedal first, then pushing the START button. The light on the START button should go from green to amber.

Hope this helps.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 06:26 PM

I have the 2010 Limited with the smart key. To start the car, of course I'm sure you know, you Have to press the brake and the start button turns green, then you press it and the car starts. So, you want to turn the car off and then listen to the radio. Easy. Turn the car off as you normally do. Then, with the car in Park, as it should be when parked, and NOT pressing the brake, press the start button ONCE only. Then you have the car in accessory and you can use the radio. Press it once more (again NO brake) and you can use the windows and all the power accessories. Press again, without brake and turns everything off. Or, at any time press the brake and the start key light turns green and you press it to start the car.
Hopethis helps, I know it's confusing, but really nioce feature.

[/SIGPIC]H e l l on wheels. 2nd Armored Division.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 01:27 AM

I'm not disagreeing with the accuracy of what you said, GIJoe, but the OP asked if there was a way to keep the radio playing when the engine is getting turned off. Hence, the method that I proposed with the car not in Park. For some reason, if you have it in Park, the engine turns all the power off completely even with the brake not depressed.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 AM

Okay I see what you mean. But even with a key if you turn off the car and then continue onto the acc mode the radio would actually go off for a brief second (in most cars). I did check and in my 04 Silverado it has retained power for 15 minutes so when you turn the key off and then continue to acc the radio stays on without any break. But with the smart key system I see no way other than the way you say and I probably wouldn't recommend it as some may forget to put on the Park brake. And really does it matter that much if the radio turns off briefly. And for safety you should have no electrical items on during refueling and you should never reenter the car while refueling. Static electricity. If you have no issues with remembering the park brake then it would seem safe enough. I always use my park brake but after years of having to with a straight it just seems natural.

[/SIGPIC]H e l l on wheels. 2nd Armored Division.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:15 AM

I don't think the OP wanted to maintain the radio for the one second between switching the engine off and getting Acc mode on line as he speaks of wanting to listen to the radio while waiting some where. Can't imagine someone feeling put out for missing a couple seconds of the radio play while switchign modes. Of course, since is so often the case OP has not responded back to let us know what the answer was, we'll not know. i think GI Joe got it right

Regards,
Mike
#10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 AM

Just don't be silly and try and pump gas with the car in accessory mode.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page