Stereo install with a twist...pics included. - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Stereo install with a twist...pics included.

The twist is a JL audio cleansweep.

I love our RAV as well as all other Toyotas I've owned, but factory sound isn't Toyota's strong suit, so I decided to break the everyday routine and try my hand at an audio upgrade.

After debating whether or not to replace the headunit, I decided to keep the factory deck and add a Cleansweep.

1) I didn't want to disturb the factory look or draw any extra attention.
2) The factory H.U. has 6 disc, and steering wheel audio
3) We had already paid the dealer for the Blu Logic that integrates with the factory H.U.

In fact if it weren't for reason #3, I would have gone with a new deck.

Here are some random pics that I hope may help someone looking to do their own Install...

I made my own speaker brackets for the front speakers and sealed them with 2 coats of paint. (for the rears I bought some brackets)

I mounted the Clarion tweeter into the factory bracket and added adhesive to the backside just to be safe.

Here is a finished door with Dynamat. The speakers are Clarion SRU 1720m components. They are about the deepest speakers I shopped for so there is generous space in the door and behind the panel. Also found a small cove where I could mount the crossover. Everything will be concealed neatly when the interior panel is reinstalled.

This pic is of the cargo tray in the rear turned upside down. I ran the source wires down the passenger side and the power cable down the driver's side, and this is where they met. You can see the amp at the top of the pic with the rear seats pushed all the way forward.

This is the Cleansweep processor mounted under the glovebox area. It will be nicely concealed by the black cover underneath. I added some Dynamat to the sides and bottom to limit vibrations and rattles.

Special thanks to 'RPM' and his stereo install post for this idea, I drilled through the molex connectors in the B pillars to allow me to fish wire to the rear doors. I really don't think I would have thought of this on my own. I hated doing this but it worked out in the end.

Here are the speaker output wires from the factory head unit with the Cleansweep input wires (white wires) ready and waiting. Then, soldered and sealed with heatshrink.

The Cleansweep unit comes with a Volume control and Status light. Using the Cleansweep volume control keeps the signal totally flat and bypasses the factory EQ. It also acts as a switch for any aux inputs you may have... (future DVD project???)
I will only use these controls occasionally, so I mounted them out of sight under the dash below the steering wheel. I will mostly use the factory controls.

Finally a partial pic of a rear door speaker (JL Audio C2 coax) installed with weather foam to seal the baffle at the door panel. Also this pic shows the good amount of space for adding wires to the factory looms.

Hopefully this isn't too many pics. There are a few more on my album (mostly fishing wire).

When I powered everything up for the first time.... IT WORKED!! Yes I was surprised!
The sound has improved greatly, but still fell below my expectations. The sound is stronger and cleaner, but I still notice the mids are a bit muddy. I really think this is due to the factory headunit. Still a decent compromise for keeping the factory deck. A small subwoofer can be added at a later date.

This was an immense amount of work. The pics don't show the hours and hours.........and hours of fishing, planning, reaching in small places to try and grab things with your fingernails etc. etc. I didn't realize my body could bend into that many different shapes!

It was a lot of fun with only a few miserable moments. Given the cost of time and money, I'm not sure the sound improvement was worth it, but I'm a sucker so I'd probably do it again!!

Last edited by JuneBug; 06-02-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Give the new speakers some time to break in. When the Cleansweep (& JL amp) was installed on my Honda Accord with new speakers it took some time for it to sound it's best. The powered sub took about two months to come into its own but once it loosened up it was solid. Did you use the CD that came with the Cleansweep to calibrate the CS after setting the radio volume to about 3/4?

I kept the Cleansweep and JL amp from the Accord and they are awaiting installation in the RAV as money permits. Unlike your skills on the install I have none in this area.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF
Give the new speakers some time to break in. When the Cleansweep (& JL amp) was installed on my Honda Accord with new speakers it took some time for it to sound it's best. The powered sub took about two months to come into its own but once it loosened up it was solid. Did you use the CD that came with the Cleansweep to calibrate the CS after setting the radio volume to about 3/4?

I kept the Cleansweep and JL amp from the Accord and they are awaiting installation in the RAV as money permits. Unlike your skills on the install I have none in this area.
I think you're right about the speakers needing some break-in.
I did use the JL CD and it calibrated on the first try.

This took me way too long to be considered skill!! I'll refer to it more as a test of my (and my wife's) patience!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM

With all that work, you should really get an aftermarket headunit.

Replacing the headunit is the most impacting change you can make for sound quality. .
#5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00ber
With all that work, you should really get an aftermarket headunit.

Replacing the headunit is the most impacting change you can make for sound quality. .
Yes, the benefits of going with an aftermarket headunit were evident to me from the very beginning, and my reasons for going cleansweep are listed in the first post. But really, 90% of the work had nothing to do with the cleansweep or headunit, it was the installation of speakers and amplifier.

The cleansweep I bought used so I'm not out too much if I decide to replace the headunit and it was worth a gamble. The sound quality has improved, but I'd like better given the time investment. Now that most of the work is done, it would be relatively simple to replace the deck, I just need some time to talk myself into it!!!

#6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 PM

I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my RAV4, but don't have the money at the moment for this. I'm a bit disappointed to see that your not quite satisfied with the outcome of the sound even with the cleansweep. Hopefully with time the speakers sound better and you can give us an update on the sound and how you still feel. Thanks for write up and review.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010PMRAV4
I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my RAV4, but don't have the money at the moment for this. I'm a bit disappointed to see that your not quite satisfied with the outcome of the sound even with the cleansweep. Hopefully with time the speakers sound better and you can give us an update on the sound and how you still feel. Thanks for write up and review.
I was thinking of adding a Hi res, low distortion media player to the aux-in on the Cleansweep. The aux passes straight through the Cleansweep without EQ.

This way my wife could continue to use the factory radio/CD etc. without complication, and I could still listen to the radio (AM talk radio most of the time!!! Am I the last of a dying breed??) Then, when I want to crank some good clean sound, I could switch to the aux input and play WAV files, or something similar.

If I go that route I will post an update.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,180 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I have fixed the links in the first post of this thread, so the pictures should display properly again!

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page