The twist is a JL audio cleansweep.
I love our RAV as well as all other Toyotas I've owned, but factory sound isn't Toyota's strong suit, so I decided to break the everyday routine and try my hand at an audio upgrade.
After debating whether or not to replace the headunit, I decided to keep the factory deck and add a Cleansweep.
1) I didn't want to disturb the factory look or draw any extra attention.
2) The factory H.U. has 6 disc, and steering wheel audio
3) We had already paid the dealer for the Blu Logic that integrates with the factory H.U.
In fact if it weren't for reason #3, I would have gone with a new deck.
Here are some random pics that I hope may help someone looking to do their own Install...
I made my own speaker brackets for the front speakers and sealed them with 2 coats of paint. (for the rears I bought some brackets)
I mounted the Clarion tweeter into the factory bracket and added adhesive to the backside just to be safe.
Here is a finished door with Dynamat. The speakers are Clarion SRU 1720m components. They are about the deepest speakers I shopped for so there is generous space in the door and behind the panel. Also found a small cove where I could mount the crossover. Everything will be concealed neatly when the interior panel is reinstalled.
This pic is of the cargo tray in the rear turned upside down. I ran the source wires down the passenger side and the power cable down the driver's side, and this is where they met. You can see the amp at the top of the pic with the rear seats pushed all the way forward.
This is the Cleansweep processor mounted under the glovebox area. It will be nicely concealed by the black cover underneath. I added some Dynamat to the sides and bottom to limit vibrations and rattles.
Special thanks to 'RPM' and his stereo install post for this idea, I drilled through the molex connectors in the B pillars to allow me to fish wire to the rear doors. I really don't think I would have thought of this on my own. I hated doing this but it worked out in the end.
Here are the speaker output wires from the factory head unit with the Cleansweep input wires (white wires) ready and waiting. Then, soldered and sealed with heatshrink.
The Cleansweep unit comes with a Volume control and Status light. Using the Cleansweep volume control keeps the signal totally flat and bypasses the factory EQ. It also acts as a switch for any aux inputs you may have... (future DVD project???)
I will only use these controls occasionally, so I mounted them out of sight under the dash below the steering wheel. I will mostly use the factory controls.
Finally a partial pic of a rear door speaker (JL Audio C2 coax) installed with weather foam to seal the baffle at the door panel. Also this pic shows the good amount of space for adding wires to the factory looms.
Hopefully this isn't too many pics. There are a few more on my album (mostly fishing wire).
When I powered everything up for the first time.... IT WORKED!! Yes I was surprised!
The sound has improved greatly, but still fell below my expectations. The sound is stronger and cleaner, but I still notice the mids are a bit muddy. I really think this is due to the factory headunit. Still a decent compromise for keeping the factory deck. A small subwoofer can be added at a later date.
This was an immense amount of work. The pics don't show the hours and hours.........and hours of fishing, planning, reaching in small places to try and grab things with your fingernails etc. etc. I didn't realize my body could bend into that many different shapes!
It was a lot of fun with only a few miserable moments. Given the cost of time and money, I'm not sure the sound improvement was worth it, but I'm a sucker so I'd probably do it again!!