How to disable TPMS (How to turn off TPMS light) - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member
Country: Rav408's Flag is: United States
 
Rav408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 660
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yea, it was just another stupid, knee jerk response to a non existent problem. Since Ford blamed Firestone for the rollover problems the explorer had, then the feds decided to come up with this law. I have no need for it either, and wouldn't care if it stopped working tomorrow. On my Mustang is would bother me unfortunately because it has a light and an information center. If the TPMS doesn't work, then the info center tells you this and will not display any other data until you fix it. Ugh, what a pain.
Rav408 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member
Country: Dr. Dyno's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastern CT
Posts: 6,280
Thanks: 314
Thanked 569 Times in 515 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Easiest fix yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghBill View Post
I noticed from the first post that the wiring was for a 2009. I was all set to do a 'switched" mod on my 2006 RAV but the wiring was not quite the same.
Pink is in pin 4, not 5
Green is in pin 5
Red is in pin 6
Is the important wire the pink one?
My '06 has a 16 pin connector with the pink on pin 6 and the red on pin 8. I don't think the pin numbers matter, just the wire colors. I didn't use the red wire at all and didn't cut any wires. The reason the Yaris derived mod uses the red wire is because it's a 5 volt signal the pink indicator wire needs to see to keep the TPMS light off. (The red is actually the 5 volt power the TPMS ECU sends to the TPM radio receiver mounted in the rear of the roof.)
One of the other fixes on the Yaris forum involves a three resistor voltage divider to produce the 4 - 5 volts from the battery voltage supplied to the TPMS ECU. That doesn't involve cutting any wires but is still too complicated in my view.

All I did was disconnect the plug (actually a socket) from the TPMS ECU and connect a 3.3K 1/4W resistor from the blue (battery voltage) wire to the pink wire.
The leads on the 1/4W resistor fit nicely into the female pins on the plug. Just trim the resistor leads to match the blue-to-pink pin spacing on your plug. Done in maybe two minutes! Want the TPMS to work again? Pull the resistor and plug the cable back into the ECU. A five resistor pack is $1.19 at Radio Shack (271-132). My TPMS ECU is located in front of the glove box - easily accessed by unclipping the air damper on the lower right side of the glove box, dropping the box down and removing it.

In my testing the 3.3K series resistor drops the battery voltage from 12.22V to 4.64V on the pink terminal with key-on-engine-off and from 14.02V to 5.32V engine-running. (With the TPMS ECU connected (and the resistor removed) the pink wire was at 4.37V and the red was 4.97V with either key-on-engine-off or engine running.)

Disclaimer: I have no reason the believe this same method won't work on any 4.3 RAV4 but checks should still be done to confirm the voltages are close to my readings on the blue and pink wires.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!


"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
Dr. Dyno is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dyno For This Useful Post:
bjmsam (12-21-2016)
post #23 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member
Country: Rav408's Flag is: United States
 
Rav408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 660
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another method that I came across on another forum is less tecnical and quite interesting. If you are getting new tires mounted, you can take the TPMS sensors off the rims (yes I said off the rims). Then put them into a pressurized capsule and carry that around inside the vehicle. Making the capsule is easy as pie. Just glue up some PVC pipe with the sensors inside and pressurize to between 30-40 PSI. That way you can change tires all you want and the sensors stay in the trunk safe and sound. Some less technical people might like this method better. If you ever need to reinstall them, you just crack open the PVC capsule and reapply the sensors where they belong and sell the vehicle as needed.
Rav408 is offline  
 
post #24 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Member
Country: cmrj's Flag is: United States
 
cmrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
All I did was disconnect the plug (actually a socket) from the TPMS ECU and connect a 3.3K 1/4W resistor from the blue (battery voltage) wire to the pink wire.
The leads on the 1/4W resistor fit nicely into the female pins on the plug. Just trim the resistor leads to match the blue-to-pink pin spacing on your plug. Done in maybe two minutes! Want the TPMS to work again? Pull the resistor and plug the cable back into the ECU. A five resistor pack is $1.19 at Radio Shack (271-132). My TPMS ECU is located in front of the glove box - easily accessed by unclipping the air damper on the lower right side of the glove box, dropping the box down and removing it.

In my testing the 3.3K series resistor drops the battery voltage from 12.22V to 4.64V on the pink terminal with key-on-engine-off and from 14.02V to 5.32V engine-running. (With the TPMS ECU connected (and the resistor removed) the pink wire was at 4.37V and the red was 4.97V with either key-on-engine-off or engine running.)

Disclaimer: I have no reason the believe this same method won't work on any 4.3 RAV4 but checks should still be done to confirm the voltages are close to my readings on the blue and pink wires.
pEEf on the PriusChat forum used about the same procedure to disable the TPMS warning light on a 2010-2011 Prius by disconnecting the connector to the TPMS ECU and using a short piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper between pins 5 and 7 on the connector. The light could be reactivated by removing the wire or clip and plugging the connector back in. I would imagine this procedure could also be used on the RAV4s if the applicable pins on the connector are identified. See posts #54 and more recent on this thread.

Idea to fool the tire pressure sensors - Page 4 - PriusChat Forums

2009 Pyrite Mica RAV4 Limited V-6 4WD
cmrj is offline  
post #25 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member
Country: Dr. Dyno's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastern CT
Posts: 6,280
Thanks: 314
Thanked 569 Times in 515 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrj View Post
pEEf on the PriusChat forum used about the same procedure to disable the TPMS warning light on a 2010-2011 Prius by disconnecting the connector to the TPMS ECU and using a short piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper between pins 5 and 7 on the connector. The light could be reactivated by removing the wire or clip and plugging the connector back in. I would imagine this procedure could also be used on the RAV4s if the applicable pins on the connector are identified.
I consider this procedure totally irresponsible and dangerous. The only wire powered with the connector disconnected has full battery voltage on it. Connecting 12-14 volts to an input that normally sees 4-5 volts is asking for trouble IMO. It may work but takes the very real chance of blowing something out in the instrument cluster. Also a paper clip is too thick to use in the sockets of the connecter. It can spread them enough that they may not connect properly when plugged back into the TPMS ECU.
My 3.3K 1/4W resistor solves both problems. It doesn't overvoltage anything, set any codes or stretch the contacts. I timed installing it today - took 61 seconds start to finish. But I did cheat - started with the passenger door open!
Dr. Dyno is online now  
post #26 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Member
Country: cmrj's Flag is: United States
 
cmrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
I consider this procedure totally irresponsible and dangerous. The only wire powered with the connector disconnected has full battery voltage on it. Connecting 12-14 volts to an input that normally sees 4-5 volts is asking for trouble IMO. It may work but takes the very real chance of blowing something out in the instrument cluster. Also a paper clip is too thick to use in the sockets of the connecter. It can spread them enough that they may not connect properly when plugged back into the TPMS ECU.
My 3.3K 1/4W resistor solves both problems. It doesn't overvoltage anything, set any codes or stretch the contacts. I timed installing it today - took 61 seconds start to finish. But I did cheat - started with the passenger door open!
Not trying to defend using that procedure, but I did notice that pEEf is an electrical engineer so I assumed that he knew what he was talking about. I have had no problem just ignoring the warning light while using snow tires and rims without TPMS sensors during the winter. But if I do anything to disable the warning light I will most likely utilize your procedure.

2009 Pyrite Mica RAV4 Limited V-6 4WD
cmrj is offline  
post #27 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Junior Member
Country: Rav42WD's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey Dr. Dyno,

I just read your fix after having cut and attached the pink wire to the red. Is the way I did it potentially dangerous? I could easily put the wires back the way they were, and use your sol'n if it is. For me, resale will not be an issue, and I think tpms is a money-grab, so I'm happy to get rid of all my tpms sensors. My issue is only a potential safety problem.

Thanks for any expert help!
Rav42WD is offline  
post #28 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member
Country: Dr. Dyno's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastern CT
Posts: 6,280
Thanks: 314
Thanked 569 Times in 515 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrj View Post
Not trying to defend using that procedure, but I did notice that pEEf is an electrical engineer so I assumed that he knew what he was talking about. I have had no problem just ignoring the warning light while using snow tires and rims without TPMS sensors during the winter. But if I do anything to disable the warning light I will most likely utilize your procedure.
Yeah, I'm a design EE too and know how to make the proper measurements to avoid potentially expensive issues. Had he supported his "idea" with test data, I'd verify his tests. And as I recall he "tried" it on someone else's car. It's just sooo easy to put the 3.3k resistor in and remove it twice a year with winter tire changeover I see no reason to do anything else.
I showed it to a friend of mine who owns a tire service store and offered to show how it's done. He said thanks but had no further interest. Guess for him any tire ruined for any reason is more business.

Sorry cmrj, I didn't notice your 10-19 post 'till today.
Dr. Dyno is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dyno For This Useful Post:
AK_AV (07-19-2013)
post #29 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member
Country: Dr. Dyno's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eastern CT
Posts: 6,280
Thanks: 314
Thanked 569 Times in 515 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav42WD View Post
Hey Dr. Dyno,

I just read your fix after having cut and attached the pink wire to the red. Is the way I did it potentially dangerous? I could easily put the wires back the way they were, and use your sol'n if it is. For me, resale will not be an issue, and I think tpms is a money-grab, so I'm happy to get rid of all my tpms sensors. My issue is only a potential safety problem.

Thanks for any expert help!
Yes your method is fine. In fact testing it is how I came up with mine. With the TPMS ECU plugged in it takes the 12V battery power and generates 5V on the red wire which can safely be applied to the pink wire.

My design goal was no mods to either the ECU or the vehicle's wiring so my brother-in-law could easily do it on his '08 in Alaska. Just gave him two of my 5-pack of 3.3K resistors to save him a stop at Radio Shack in Anchorage on his way home from CT.

I do disagree that pressure monitors are a "money grab." If the display read "see your dealer immediately" I'd agree, but IMO a warning to add air to extend the life of your tires and avoid possible breakdowns or accidents certainly isn't.
Dr. Dyno is online now  
post #30 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Junior Member
Country: Bigaaron's Flag is: United States
 
Bigaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This thread made it very easy to bypass the TPMS, thanks!!!


I can see how important TPMS could be to the average person. Some idiots drive around with a tire low on air until the tire fails, and then they freakin sue the tire manufacturer and/or Toyota when their SUV rolls on the highway! Anyone who says TPMS is a "money grab" isn't considering the main purpose of the system and how it could potentially save someone's life. Just because you think it's a pain in the ass to make it work with aftermarket wheels doesn't mean it isn't a worthwile option for others! Toyota's goal is to make the vehicles "safe" for the masses of mindless consumers who never look at their tires until they are about ready to fall off.

Last edited by Bigaaron; 11-11-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Bigaaron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome