2011 Rav4 OEM backup camera - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
On the euro models the wiring is oem from tha camera in the backdoor and to the D-pillar. So you have to run your own wires from there and to the Navi. That is on the X model. The G model (higer grade) has the oem wiring from the camera to the A-pillar.
But I don't know if it's the same on the US models. The euro model has the short body, US has the long body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to sofakng
I'm glad that I found this thread... I'm looking for the same thing: Installing a backup camera (preferrably OEM) into my 2011 RAV4 (Sport w/tire on back). I'm installing a new head unit (Kenwood DNX9990HD) and I'd love to install a backup camera as well.

I've installed several stereos before and am good with wiring (soldering, etc, etc), but I've never run cables from the back of a car to the front.

Even if I purchase the backup camera, do I need to run a wire all the way from the license plate area to the stereo? If so, are there any guides/pictures on what trim pieces need to be taken apart, etc?

2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4-cylinder (Metallic Gray)
#23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There a few posts on this subject. A little PITA but not too bad.
Here's one of them: Rear fender cover panel - how hard to remove?

Another one for the rear cargo door panel: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/foru...howtopic=71227
This one is easy-peasy!

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" with new singer Todd La Torre totally rocks "
#24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to sofakng
Great - thanks!!

What about running the video cable from the trunk (rear fender panel) under the doors? (is this what the "A" or "D" panel is called?) I'm worried about the side air-bags, etc.

I'm also curious about the posts above about possibly having the camera wiring already installed even though my car didn't come with the camera. Anybody have a picture of the wiring that might be present?

2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4-cylinder (Metallic Gray)
#25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

The pre '12 backup monitor system uses a small LED monitor built into the rearview mirror. I would think the video and power feed to this LED monitor are all hidden under the map reading lights module.The enhanced (Gentex?) mirror has a multi-pin connector that clip into the wiring harness under the map reading lamps. Can someone please verify this assumption on a wiring diagram?

I'm looking for the same OEM rear door wiring if present. More importantly, I'm looking for the power feed and the reverse triggering feed that power the camera mounted at the rear.

With this in mind, it's very likely you will have to take the video feed from the rear camera to the in-dash radio/screen with another mean - like RCA cable routed under the step-in plate trim.

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
#26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 PM

Pillar nomenclature

I didn't know the "pillar" nomenclature either, but a quick jaunt on Google explained it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_(car)

Trusa mentioned that in the European "X" model "the wiring is oem from the camera in the backdoor and to the D-pillar," and that in the European "G" model, it "has the oem wiring from the camera to the A-pillar".

Does that mean just the power wiring, or is the wiring that would actually carry the video feed, already there as well?

Getting from the D-pillar to the A-pillar somehow seems less daunting to me than the thought of needing to thread cables through to the back door as well, so it is making me hopeful to think there could be some existing wiring in there already. (Though it would be even nicer if it went all the way to the A-pillar of course!)

I've also read in the meantime that the factory cameras for the RAV4 are 6 volts instead of 12 volts, whereas most aftermarket cameras (like the ones that go into the light bulb spot) are 12 volts. I'm wondering if that's why people installing the 12 volt cameras need to figure out how to, for instance, splice the power to them from the backup lights. Maybe the 6 volt cameras would already have power available.

I'm not sure if that should make me more interested or less interested in trying to use a factory camera. If there were a lot of existing wiring it certainly would tilt towards a factory 6 volt camera.

(I don't know if the European wiring is representative of what's in the USA sold models-- I'm presuming it is, but that's just an assumption.)
#27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:31 AM

I did an install on a 2011 SAP that includes a cheap reverse camera in February this year. I was intending to write this all up, but did not in the end. Well here are some of the pictures of that install. I'm happy to get more details if you are interested:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/memb...rror-3027.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foobrt For This Useful Post:
bugmenot (03-25-2014), Kimrav4 (05-25-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page