alternative headrest? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
alternative headrest?

I've already read through previous threads on the forum in regards to headrest discomfort. Seems I'm not the only one who despises it.Here's my question though: has anyone tried swapping out the Rav4 headrest with one from another Toyota vehicle? I would imagine the Corolla, Sienna and Camry would all have more comfotable headrests. I would also imagine the headrest mounting holes in the Rav4 match up with atleast some other Toyota models? My Rav4 is a 2008 Sport, V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 10:58 AM

after i bought my rav it took me about 5 days of fildling with the seat angle to get comfortabe behind the wheel, also i sit tall in the drvers seat and found raising the headrest and inch or so makes a big difference for my comfort.

cadman

#3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

I've found out that the headrest angle changed some time in the 2008 timeframe, and that headrests from before that time are less forward protruding. Also, the rear headrests in our 2010 have different rod spacing than the fronts so swapping them front to rear won't work.

My BIL has a Lexus RX330 and I've been meaning to try a swap there but haven't had the opportunity. An upholstery shop says they can fix the angle of the headrests for a couple of hundred bucks.

We're currently on a road trip in our Rav, and because I haven't had the time to find a suitable replacement, we just flipped the headrests backwards. It's now canted backwards and it's impossible to rest your head on it at all, and there's no whiplash protection, but at least it isn't forcing our heads forward when we're driving.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

I currently have my driver's headrest backwards.... I did it as an experiment, and I haven't thought about it much since I flipped it. I should think about it some more.

I suspect there is some whiplash protection that way.

Regarding adjusting the angle, I wonder if there is some simple machine shop press that could do a 1 or 2 degree bend at the right place. What would an upholstery shop do? Move some padding out of where the head touches?

I think that those who recline their seatbacks more are not going to have a problem, because their heads are tilted forward to see.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 10:01 PM

I changed my rav4 front headrests with a pair from a 2009 Lexus RX350. I'm under the impression Lexus RX330/350 years 2004 to 2009 are similar. It appears Lexus changed the design in 2010 more like the rav4. The new headrest allows my head to go back just slightly more and feels more comfortable.

2011 limited v6 AWD silver
#6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:25 PM

Newer Rav's also have active headrest feature that works along with the angle of the headrest so be mindful of that when changing the angle of the headrest as it will affect its function...

2006 4WD Limited w JBL
2001 Lexus IS300 C-pkg
#7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:26 AM

(Thread Starter)
I'll bet anything that you could swap out a Sienna or Camry headrest and put it in the Rav4 with no problems. If anyone has another Toyota car you should try it. I don't particularly care about the function of the headrest and turning it backwards isn't the solution either. I'm set on replacing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to evmoore For This Useful Post:
blackdograv (09-09-2012)
#8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 12:53 AM

05 Sienna headrests fit

As new owners of a 2011 RAV4 Sport 4WD, our first problem with the front seats was the headrests. We also happen to own an 05 Sienna and easily fitted those headrests into the 11 RAV4, the only problem is they're light blue and the RAV4 interior is black. I have searched ebay and there are some Sienna and RAV4 headrests available.
The only other issue we have with the front seats is they just don't have enough lumbar support.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 AM

When I switched my front headrests the color was also mis-matched. I found a company on-line that make custom headrest covers. I purchased black. The company is customheadrestcovers.com. You might consider that option. The fit was perfect.

2011 limited v6 AWD silver
#10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Since it seems they went to active headrests around 2008...has anyone purchased 2007 headrest to see if they fit? I see some on ebay...it's about $100, well worth the price to me to fix the headrest issue. But I don't want to buy them if they won't fit in the pegs.
I know I am giving up safety of active headrests by switching them. I can live with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page