Connect factory backup camera to aftermarket head unit - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by undisturbed316 View Post
Hi!

I followed the instructions from post #6 (connected red wire from fuse box to head unit and tapped an RCA cable to the backup camera wires (red to shield, white to white)), and was able to connect my factory OEM camera to my Pioneer headunit (avh-p8400bh). However, the feed is reversed. The video feed for the camera pops up during Park, Neutral, and drive INSTEAD of Reverse.

What am I doing wrong here?

Edit: Ok figured out I need to change the polarity of the camera in the software to Battery.

However, after fixing this issue, I notice that my headunit automatically switches to the backup camera after about 5 secs in Park, Neutral, or Drive. Switching to reverse and then back only fixes the problem for another 5 seconds. However, If I switch to reverse during the 5 seconds that it is normal, the backup camera automatically pops up on the head unit. *scratches head*
I was in the same boat as you. I have a Pioneer AVH-2400BT and I suspect the software setup would be similar. You probably have the "rear view" set to "on" which is why you always have the camera on. That should be set to off and try again.
Now it works like a champ!

Sony CCD Backup Camera
The Following User Says Thank You to sushiguy732 For This Useful Post:
undisturbed316 (01-19-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiguy732 View Post
I was in the same boat as you. I have a Pioneer AVH-2400BT and I suspect the software setup would be similar. You probably have the "rear view" set to "on" which is why you always have the camera on. That should be set to off and try again.
I noticed you have the Sony CCD B/U camera with the AVH-2400BT. I'm contemplating the same combo.

What's your opinion of the B/U camera, its advantages, shortcomings & waterproofness?

Does the AVH-2400BT impose a distance grid for the B/U camera view, or does the camera has its own distance grid?

Are you happy with the AVH-2400BT? If you have to do it again, what would you purchase or choose differently?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
#13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRAV4 View Post
I noticed you have the Sony CCD B/U camera with the AVH-2400BT. I'm contemplating the same combo.

What's your opinion of the B/U camera, its advantages, shortcomings & waterproofness?

Does the AVH-2400BT impose a distance grid for the B/U camera view, or does the camera has its own distance grid?

Are you happy with the AVH-2400BT? If you have to do it again, what would you purchase or choose differently?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
First let me say take off, eh! Sorry... I used to love bob and doug back in the '80's.

I have only had the camera installed for a couple of days but I have to tell you that I really do like the quality of the picture. Very good, clear quality and I find the placement to be spot on. The night picture is a bit grainy but it works well. I cannot comment on the waterproof aspects yet as it has only rained once since it has been installed. But for under $20 delivered you cannot go wrong. As far as the distance grid, I am not sure but I think it is part of the camera.

I am mostly happy with the AVH-2400BT. I have an Android phone which it pairs to nicely for phone and audio. However, not all the audio controls work as it is not 100% compatible. I also wish there would be a better interface for switching the radio presets and there is a lag when the phone book loads. With all that being said, the bluetooth sound quality is excellent for both audio and phone. no one ever has a problem hearing me and that is HUGE for me.

It is hard to determine if I would buy the radio again over another one. I do like the audio quality which is a plus. The interface is "ok" but not spectacular. But how can you test out these features before hand unless you see something in a store you can play with first.

Let us know what you decide.

Sony CCD Backup Camera
The Following User Says Thank You to sushiguy732 For This Useful Post:
CanuckRAV4 (01-17-2013)
#14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
First let me say take off, eh! Sorry... I used to love bob and doug back in the '80's.

I have only had the camera installed for a couple of days but I have to tell you that I really do like the quality of the picture. Very good, clear quality and I find the placement to be spot on. The night picture is a bit grainy but it works well. I cannot comment on the waterproof aspects yet as it has only rained once since it has been installed. But for under $20 delivered you cannot go wrong. As far as the distance grid, I am not sure but I think it is part of the camera.

I am mostly happy with the AVH-2400BT. I have an Android phone which it pairs to nicely for phone and audio. However, not all the audio controls work as it is not 100% compatible. I also wish there would be a better interface for switching the radio presets and there is a lag when the phone book loads. With all that being said, the bluetooth sound quality is excellent for both audio and phone. no one ever has a problem hearing me and that is HUGE for me.

It is hard to determine if I would buy the radio again over another one. I do like the audio quality which is a plus. The interface is "ok" but not spectacular. But how can you test out these features before hand unless you see something in a store you can play with first.

Let us know what you decide.
Ah, a bob & doug fan, good times I would guess you've not morphed into a HipHop or Beiber follower?

I'm in on the AVH-P2400BT, courtesy of the recent shopping madness. I'm in the process of getting a BU camera so the install can begins.

From all the research, it seems CCD camera provides a better good light pictures but grainy low light images when you needed it most. I'm torn between getting a CCD or CMOS camera with infrared LED. My option is also somewhat limited as I have the model with no spare wheel hanging out the back. Highlander BU camera is what I needed but potentially fitment issues can happen. For these considerations I only want to cry once getting this PITA camera installed.

From the the reviews, the AVH-P2400BT is pretty much iPhone dedicated in its BT & cable interface supports. I've both Android & iPhone so it's good to hear from your Android experiences. I supposed I could've gotten a higher/newer model but this unit should serves my modest needs. I'm no audiophile . I will keep my expectation in check until the unit is actually install & working.

Apparently there is a firmware update in the work to fix iOS6 BT issues, and hopefully Pioneer takes the opportunity to add robust Android support as well. We can only hope . . .

Thanks, and feel free adding suggestions or opinions on the CCD/CMOS BU camera choice.

#15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Ah, a bob & doug fan, good times I would guess you've not morphed into a HipHop or Beiber follower?

I'm in on the AVH-P2400BT, courtesy of the recent shopping madness. I'm in the process of getting a BU camera so the install can begins.

From all the research, it seems CCD camera provides a better good light pictures but grainy low light images when you needed it most. I'm torn between getting a CCD or CMOS camera with infrared LED. My option is also somewhat limited as I have the model with no spare wheel hanging out the back. Highlander BU camera is what I needed but potentially fitment issues can happen. For these considerations I only want to cry once getting this PITA camera installed.

From the the reviews, the AVH-P2400BT is pretty much iPhone dedicated in its BT & cable interface supports. I've both Android & iPhone so it's good to hear from your Android experiences. I supposed I could've gotten a higher/newer model but this unit should serves my modest needs. I'm no audiophile . I will keep my expectation in check until the unit is actually install & working.

Apparently there is a firmware update in the work to fix iOS6 BT issues, and hopefully Pioneer takes the opportunity to add robust Android support as well. We can only hope . . .

Thanks, and feel free adding suggestions or opinions on the CCD/CMOS BU camera choice.
I am not sure who the install would be different on your model. I assume it has the same or similar light bulb holder by the back license plate which is where I installed mine.

As far as the grainy low light situations go, I managed to adjust the rear view camera brightness via the head unit so the picture is somewhat better. All I am looking for the camera to provide is the ability to see if there are any obstructions in the way before I am backing up and this meets my criteria.

I have been looking on the Pioneer website for any firmware upgrades and so far no dice. I can only hope one is in the works but I will not hold my breath. And even if it does come out, I can't imagine it will be an overhaul to address any of the Android issues. Let's hope they prove me wrong!

It was a PITA getting the camera installed but only b/c I have never done anything like that before. But now that I went through the exercise, feel free to ping me with any questions. I will tell you that I used a wire fishing rod to help get the RCA wire from the back to the front and that made it pretty easy. Also, I had to buy an RCA coupler (Radio Shack) and add my own additional RCA cable as an extension since the one that comes wth the unit was about 3' short. All I did was take an old RCA cable and couple them together and then used electrical tape to seal them so they wouldn't come apart.

Good luck!!

Sony CCD Backup Camera
#16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It was a PITA getting the camera installed but only b/c I have never done anything like that before. But now that I went through the exercise, feel free to ping me with any questions. I will tell you that I used a wire fishing rod to help get the RCA wire from the back to the front and that made it pretty easy. Also, I had to buy an RCA coupler (Radio Shack) and add my own additional RCA cable as an extension since the one that comes wth the unit was about 3' short. All I did was take an old RCA cable and couple them together and then used electrical tape to seal them so they wouldn't come apart. Good luck!!
This is exactly my thinking. I want to run a generic male to male RCA cable from the head unit to about the wheel jack cavity location, and use a coupler to join the camera lead to this cable run. This is in anticipation for camera failure and the PITA replacement afterward. No point in re-running the camera lead from back to front again, as painful as it is. My only concern is the video signal/voltage drop over the long cable run, and the deteriorating effect on the image quality. It's good to hear you can adjust the camera brightness/gain on the Pioneer head unit.

Most of the Highlander cameras have a bulb holder lobe on the topside. I've to check and see if this interferes with anything inside my Rav4 door.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming . . .

#17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
This is exactly my thinking. I want to run a generic male to male RCA cable from the head unit to about the wheel jack cavity location, and use a coupler to join the camera lead to this cable run. This is in anticipation for camera failure and the PITA replacement afterward. No point in re-running the camera lead from back to front again, as painful as it is. My only concern is the video signal/voltage drop over the long cable run, and the deteriorating effect on the image quality. It's good to hear you can adjust the camera brightness/gain on the Pioneer head unit.

Most of the Highlander cameras have a bulb holder lobe on the topside. I've to check and see if this interferes with anything inside my Rav4 door.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming . . .
Your thinking makes sense! Where where you when I was running my RCA lines?! lol

For me that hardest part was running the wires through the rubber boot between the door and the car. If I have to run the wires again I'll run one long cord from the HU past the wheel jack, through the rubber boot and into the rear door. To me this is the easiest fix/replacement.

As far as I can tell there is zero signal loss. In the daylight the picture is crystal clear!

Sony CCD Backup Camera
#18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Wow you are a life saver...thank you sooo much!!!!
#19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undisturbed316 View Post
Wow you are a life saver...thank you sooo much!!!!
My pleasure! I have leard so much from these forums so I am glad to have been able to give back.

Sony CCD Backup Camera
#20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to yguelce Send a message via MSN to yguelce Send a message via Yahoo to yguelce
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtber View Post
Directions to hook up factory backup camera to aftermarket Nav unit. In this case a JVC KW-NT3HDT.

1. For easy access I removed the scuff panel the passenger side and exposed main wire bundle.

2. Inside the wire bundle you'll find a black wire that goes from the camera to the mirror. Easy to pick out because it's by far the thickest.

3. Slice open the sheath to expose 4 wires - black, red, white, & metal.

4. Find a ~ 3 feet RCA video cable (male or female depending on your nav unit). Cut and strip one end to expose the inner wire and outer shield.

5. Connect white wire to the center of the RCA wire. Connect the red wire to the outer shield. I used 22-18Awg wire tap splice connector (photo). Re tape the bundle.

6. Run the wire behind the glove box to the nav unit

7. Connect the reverse wire to the red wire (photo) in the fuse box panel (located about where your left knee would be positioned).

8. I had to turn on the "camera in" function on my unit.

Thank you for this detailed instructions. I was able to connect the camera to my Myron & Davis in dash radio. However, on step #7 can you clarify the red wire we're suppose to connect the reverse wire to? Right now the camera is viewable from the Radio, but it isn't automatic when the car is put on reverse. Thank you in advanced.

Yvel G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page