Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Henhao H1014 OEM-style DVD/GPS Official Thread

224K views 803 replies 71 participants last post by  jack black 
#1 ·
This thread will be dedicated to the purchase, install and ownership experience of the Henhao H1014 headunit. I purchased this unit directly from Henhao's ebay store for $339.00 (US$). Shipping was included in the price. I have noticed that you can buy the unit directly from the manufacturer's website for 1505 CNY (Chinese Yuan) which converts to $238.00. There will probably be shipping charges on top of that, but it looks to be cheaper than ebay. Personally, I felt more comfortable buying from ebay & paypal for their buyer protection.

Here is the link to theunit:

7" in dash 2 din Car dvd for RAV4 navigation system - Toyota - Special car dvd - Product Catalog - HENHAO (GROUP) CO.,LIMITED

It is very similar to multitude of oem-style headunits out there as far as looks and features are concerned. GPS runs WinCE 6.0 and the seller provides map with the unit. Night illumination is listed as amber and should match well with the Rav's interior lighting.

That's it for now. I will update with pictures when the unit arrives and the install begins.

See less See more
#2 ·
Update: Unit arrived about 3 days after the order and correspondence with the seller (Richard Hu) has been very good . It was well packaged. There was a $36.00 duty/tax charge from DHL which was fair although, a buddy of mine just received three knock-off Gibson Les Pauls from China and didn't pay anything... :shrug:

I'm not going to go into the physical installation because it is exactly the same as the other oem-style headunits. I had a little difficulty transferring the oem metal brackets as the oem headunit had four screws holding the brackets and this one has two. I eventually found the proper mounting location. Wiring was as easy as 1-2-3. I ran the Ipod cable to the glovebox and the gps antenna is currently burried within the dash - but I think I'm going to move it into the open as I'm not getting the best signal.

I'll have a little update later with some photos of fitment and some of the menu screens and unit performance.

Reactions: #1RAV4
#3 ·
More updates:

Overall look, unit off:

Unit on, illumination matches oem perfectly:

Fitment is good and I'm sure some playing with the mounting brackets would take care of some of the little gaps. Top ridge lines up perfectly with vents. The sides are slightly inwards of the side trim and there is a slight gap near the bottom.

Menu screen:

Nav screen:

Ok, here is the quirk I'm having with DVD playback. I cannot find a menu screen that allows you to change the aspect ratio of the screen. I believe the screen is currently setup to 4x3 letterbox mode. When I play a 16x9 anamorphic DVD shot at 1.78 or 1.85:1, it should fill the entire screen, but it is showing up as letterbox:

When I play 4x3 program material shot at 1.33:1, it should be pillar-boxed (a square with black bars on the side), yet it is stretched to fill the entire screen:

I cannot find a setting anywhere in the menu system. There is a blurb in the manual about touching the screen while the DVD is playing, but that only brings up simple controls like pause, disc menu, FF, REW, etc. I have emailed the manufacturer and this is the response I received:

"I asked engineer
he told me that dvd display 16:9 or 4:3
but no you said 2.35:1
i think if has change the display function.
that is the dvd disc.when play the dvd,you can touch the screen.
check if has the option.
because i have test some disc has enlarge/zoom out "

This isn't a huge issue at this point, but there has to be a setting for the screen somewhere.

As far as audio performance is concerned, this unit puts out more power than the factory deck. Sound is definitely clearer and the speakers sound punchier. Radio performance is no different than stock. Bluetooth works fine with my Blackberry Torch - my contacts were all copied over. I have not had a chance to test Ipod or USB performance yet.

#4 ·
OMG! Boomer shot Adama??? She must be a Cylon! :eek:

Just kidding! That looks really nice. I hope you get the screen format issues worked out.

#6 ·
This looks good, and the price even better. I'd like to hear your long term review after a year or so. Reviews of other units have kept me at bay, but I'd like to eventually upgrade my stock unit as my Aux input is very finicky. Please keep up the updates.

#8 ·
Hi, it look good how is it holding up? Do you have a link to the ebay sale? Does it work with the steering controls directly? Or it needs extras?

Thanks
Unit is working well. The only issue so far is I believe the unit's DVD player is currently set to 4x3 letterbox mode and it is not displaying 16x9 material properly. I don't have steering wheel controls on my RAV, but the unit does support them and has a setup screen for that option.

7" 2008-2011 car dvd player gps nav for RAV4 in dash 2 din stereo head units | eBay

#9 ·
This sounds promising. Do you know if the DVD player has a video out to connect an external monitor? Like one of the yellow vid out jacks? Also, does the GPS map they provide include US and Canada? We live in the US but my wife is Canadian so we go up to Canada a few times a year so we need the GPS navigation in both countries.

#12 ·
The unit has both DVD input and output jacks for external monitors and has two-zone modes so you could watch one thing on the front monitor and something else on the back.

Yes, my unit came with a mico-SD card with IGO maps pre-loaded for Canada and the US.

#10 ·
Does this unit suppost ATSC? I would really like to have Digital TV on this unit.

If
1, the gps signal is improved since you moved
2. you are able to fix the resolution problem
3. DTV works,

I would definitely look into getting this unit.

I might even suggest a group buy. Let's hope it works out for you as the guinea pig!

#11 ·
1. When I was first installing the unit, I did a test run of the gps and had the antenna sitting on top of the dashboard and it worked perfectly. Once I moved it into the dash, my signal dropped. That's not to say that it doesn't work within the dash, it just seems to take longer to aquire the satellite upon startup and has the occasional drop-out. I will be moving the antenna to the top of the windshield or dashboard soon.

2. I am still corresponding with the company about the DVD resolution issue. It's not a huge deal. When watching square 4:3 programs (like older TV series) the picture is stretched to fill the entire screen. When watching mid-level widescreen movies shot at 1.85:1 or 1.78:1, they should fill the entire screen on a 16x9 display, but are displayed with narrow black bars top and bottom. Very widescreen movies shot in Panavision 2.35:1 or higher should have black bars top & bottom on a 16x9 display, but in this unit, the black bars are bigger than normal. Therefore, it's my conclusion that the unit is set to 4:3 letterbox mode. You're not missing any of the picture, but it is not perfect either. All the other Chinese units I've seen have a menu for accessing the display properties. I have not been able to access this menu on this unit.

3. The unit has both an analog and digital TV tuner, although like other units, something has to be added for the digital tuner to work. It does not come with either analog or digital tv antennas. The analog tv tuner is a bit of waste considering there are no more analog tv signals in North America.

#15 ·
1. I did not hook up a back-up camera, although the unit does support this feature.
2. I don't think it has a speed sensitive volume
3. Map updates are not free from IGO, although there are <cough, cough> plenty of places on the net to download free updates.

#16 ·
This is sounding better and better. A group buy would be da bomb!! I'm in if someone is starting one.

#18 ·
It would be nice to get a few more members with this unit, that way we can bounce ownership experience off eachother. I'd contact Richard at Henhao directly - he's the manager there and pretty helpful although sometimes difficult to understand the translation...

#19 ·
Were you able to take/repond to calls using bluetooth?

The ad says "Compatible with Bluetooth adapter ...". Does that mean that you have to buy a separate adapter for bluetooth to work. Are the phones automatically paired everytime you get in the car or you have to manually choose a phone. I suppose it;s manual as you can have more than 1 phone in the car.

If you are playing music with the GPS on, does the music volume go to 0 so you can hear the GPS instructions clearly?

#20 ·
Were you able to take/repond to calls using bluetooth?

The ad says "Compatible with Bluetooth adapter ...". Does that mean that you have to buy a separate adapter for bluetooth to work. Are the phones automatically paired everytime you get in the car or you have to manually choose a phone. I suppose it;s manual as you can have more than 1 phone in the car.

If you are playing music with the GPS on, does the music volume go to 0 so you can hear the GPS instructions clearly?
My wife's Blackberry Torch connected with the unit right away (it did ask for a password and I believe the default was '000'. It even copied her entire phone book into the unit. Calls were clear through the RAV's speakers and the mic is built right into the unit, so no need to run a mic wire elsewhere. I'm not sure how multiple phones would work, but on the bluetooth screen, it shows her Blackberry and there are slots for other BT phones. My guess is that you'd probably have to manually choose which BT phone you wanted to dial with if you had more than one BT device.

You can manually adjust the GPS voice volume and it does not completely shut off whatever background music you have playing - it drops the volume on it so that you can clearly hear the GPS voice.

Reactions: skyscam
#21 ·
This does sound promising and have also had my eye on it for a bit and have been following this thread waiting for updates and sounds like a group buy may be in the works here. I do have JBL so would have to get the additional harness...

I'm not clear with steering wheel functionality, do you know if phone function is included or is it just the volume, skip, mode, etc on the left that operate?

#24 ·
I can try to contact the Henhao manager and how much he can sell it for and what his minmum quantity would be be. I have seen many Chinese sellers charging $100 for shipping, which I think is outrageous.

What would be best way to acquire the unit? Directly from Henhao and pay through Paypal or purchase from Ebay with a special discount code?

#32 ·
#27 ·
DVD Update

I just got a response about the DVD aspect ratio. Richard spoke to one of the engineers and the unit is set for 4:3 letterbox.

Here is the response:

"engineer reponse the dvd system is 4:3 can't change setup.
thanks
best regards
richard"

So, that's a bit of an annoyance but it's not hugely important to me as I didn't buy the unit to watch movies and having the video slightly stretched isn't the end of the world.

Reactions: vanib
#34 ·
I just contacted Richard Hu via email about the shipping cost to the US and he said it is about $60 USD. He also said I will need to buy the 4G memory card with maps for another $10. I asked about the back up camera and he said it is $25. Then if I want to pay with paypal then I will have to add 3.9% paypal fee. The total cost for everything shipping to the US is about $347.

#38 ·
1. I usually just turn off the key and the gps powers right back up when I start the car again. I have heard that it's better to turn off the units before turning off the ignition.
2. Not sure what you mean here. The navigation has only frozen up because I've burried the antenna in the dash.
3. Don't think so
4. Yes, it starts talking 300 meters before your turn.

By the way, the IGO8 software has all sorts of different voices you can choose (there are about six different english voices from British male/female to American...) as well as all the different languages.

#40 ·
I asked Richard about a group buy and he said they will discount the price but it will depend on the quantity. Also the shipping cost will be reduced if all the units are shipped to one location. So here's the deal... I will be willing to head this up if we have at least 5 people for the group buy. The only problem is the location of everyone. I'm in NJ and from here I can probably send out the unit to other US residents within the lower 48 relatively cheap so if you're willing to pay for the additional shipping cost then that will work. As for the Canadians, I go to southern Ontario a couple of times a year and my next trip there is this Mother's day weekend in May (10-13). If you don't mind driving to the Simcoe area then I can bring it with me and you come and pick it up. As for payment for the units, I would recommend each individual pay Richard for their portion and then pay me for the shipping from my house to yours (except the Canadians who are willing to come to Simcoe and pick it up.) To keep it simple, we will only order the head unit and the memory card with the maps. This keeps it logistically simple. How does that sound? So give me a show of hands and I will give the number to Richard for a new price.

#44 ·
I will be in once the "Text to Speech" and "Turn command" issue is cleared. I think they should be enabled but I want to be 100% sure. Could I have Richard's e-mail address?

Thanks
The unit does speak commands during navigation, but it does not say the street. It will say something like "left turn in 300 meters". Now, I'm pretty sure this is completely reliant on the type of GPS software you're running and not the unit itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.