another headrest question - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
another headrest question

I've read the other threads about headrests, and I don't think this was addressed, so here goes:

Aside from them becoming "active" headrests in 2009, I believe, has the headrest shape changed over time? I'm buying a 2012 (deposit down today) knowing that the headrests don't work for me or my husband. (I'm in that minority that likes to sit straight up and feel like the headrest pushes my head forward and makes me look down at the steering wheel.)
(Why am I buying the car anyway? Because I found that all cars had some level of this pushing my head. It varied, but I figured if I was going to have to buy a replacement headrest, I might as well get the car I wanted.) I've flipped it around, which does take the angle away but I prefer to have the back of my head grazing my headrest while I drive, so it feels too far away.

I'm confused as to whether trying to get an older RAV4 headrest will solve my issue or if I need to find something else entirely. From what I've gathered here, it sounds like the following have been switched successfully:
Sienna '05
2009 Lexus RX350

Also, while I'm in purchasing mode, are the low profile headrests from pre-2011 straight (they look that way in pictures, but I haven't seen them in person), or do they tend to bend forward as well?

And if anyone wants any brand new headrests (that "everyone else" seems to love) and wants to sell me theirs or trade for mine, I'd be happy to pay shipping for both! The car I'm getting has a gray/ash interior, but at this point I'd buy seat covers as well to be able to drive the car in comfort. (Who knew I'd be doing this with a NEW car?!?)

Thanks for any advice or leads!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

How about a MEMORY FOAM HEADREST CUSHION here a link Memory Foam Headrest Cushion - ALI24-7366series

I believe in safety, education, and enforcement, not banning, ignorance, and blame.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 AM

(Thread Starter)
Are you suggesting turning the headrest around and then putting on the cushion? I hadn't considered that. That would certainly be cheaper than my alternatives at this point.... Any other ideas?
#4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

I was thinking something like this set-up. http://www.amazon.com/EasyRest-Headrest-Support-Cushion/dp/B004BPEGYQIt will keep your head forward.

I believe in safety, education, and enforcement, not banning, ignorance, and blame.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 PM

4.3 headrest

I feel the same as you. Toyota got everything right, except the headrests.
I don't know what a "low profile" headrest is, but my 2007 came with headrests that do exactly what you've described. Super uncomfortable!
You would think that the company who makes Lexus could spend a few bucks to solve this common complaint, without affecting the "active restraint system".
#6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM

(Thread Starter)
dtalk,
Thanks for your ideas! I will be considering them if I keep the headrest pointed backward; when it's facing forward I already feel like my head is being pushed forward, so a pillow would just amplify the problem.

To everyone: does anyone know if the front seat headrests' diameter (pin to pin) has remained the same over time? The dealer thought so, but I'm double checking before buying on ebay.

Thanks!
#7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

It would be nice if a machine shop could bend the rods by maybe 7 degrees. I have had mine backwards for several months. I had forgotten about that until this recent thread.

rxbolt, I think the 2009s have more tilt than the earlier ones. Hey, you could trade with a 2009 or later, and turn it backwards for even more spacing. You would want to get some cash during the swap, since most people find the 2007-2008 headrests to not have excessive forward tilt.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM

Headrest, are they not just to protect you in an accident?
#9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4uk View Post
Headrest, are they not just to protect you in an accident?
Yes. They are not for the driver to rest his head on. IMHO they should not push on your head while driving, but should stay a short distance behind your head.

People who drive in a more reclined seat setting will be tilting their head forward with respect to the torso more than those who sits more upright.

The North American 2009s went to the more forward-tilted headrest in response to a USA law. I don't know if the change was made on other continents. I don't like driving in the green-checked position, but some do:

2009 V6 4wd Base
#10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 AM

I bought this and solved all my issues
http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Sensitive-Memory-Foam-Cushion/dp/B000XWJW6I/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&qid=1335672612&sr=8-50
I too was plagued by the headrest issue and was either driving with it turned backwards or on a mad hunt for pre-2008 ones at a salvage yard. I read the reviews on this cushion and thought "sure."
It put me up higher, which I needed, gave me perfect lumbar support and some thigh support and my head rests are PERFECT in their normal position.
It's sold out right this minute (weird, I got mine yesterday) but love it so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page