something in the air vent - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
something in the air vent

We recently purchased a used 2008 Limited. The lady was a grandma and I think one of her grand kids dropped a color crayon or something into the passenger side vent. When you take a left hand turn the item rolls to the right and then when you take a right hand turn the item rolls to the center. I was going to try and send a vacuum hose down in there but when I look inside there is a honey comb barrier just behind the adjustable flaps.

Can anybody tell me how I can get the vent out or or any good ideas on to get it apart?

Thanks,

John

Last edited by Jcoyne97222; 05-16-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,002 Times in 725 Posts
Garage
I'm pretty sure the ring surrounding the vent just snaps out, removing the flaps and honeycomb. If it is a crayon, it will eventually melt in the summer when the car is closed up on a sunny day.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:51 AM

I looked in several sections of the service manual and all they show is an exploded view of the dash and A/C components...I have a rattle (yes another one!) I would like to fix myself with the fuzzy side of adhesive black Velcro, a miraculous product IMHO. The ring is loose and so is the adjustable louver and when I hit bumps the assembly rattles but just the passenger side, the driver's side is a bit tighter and is O.K.

2012 Sport V6 Classic Silver no option
1999 Lexus RX300 Pearl White base gone
1972 Corolla 1200 Yellow 4 speed manual long gone
Others too many to mention!
#4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 07:50 AM

I just pryed the adjustable part of the vent up with a thin blade screwdriver and managed to shove a small piece of Velcro so the rattle is gone.

Still disapointed with Toyota's poor fit & finish of interior plastic parts as it was not like that just a few years ago; it does not make me proud as a Canadian to have a Canadian built RAV. I wonder if RX350 Lexus owners feel the same as they are also built in Canada for the NA market. I'm surprised as Canada has an excellent reputation for assembling cars and in some cases it was reported as being even better than in Japan; I don't remember if this was for the Corolla or Civic but you get the idea. Not sure if it's still true today but it was the case a few years ago.

As I said in another post, the outside of the vehicle and the mechanical parts are perfect, so I can deal with the so so plastic parts (blame it on a local supplier?) and I can fix all the little rattles myself and accept the sub par fit & finish as the vehicle goes really well and has lots of nice features and qualities.

2012 Sport V6 Classic Silver no option
1999 Lexus RX300 Pearl White base gone
1972 Corolla 1200 Yellow 4 speed manual long gone
Others too many to mention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page