make a RAV4 rear sleeping bed platform for two, step-by-step walk thru Read more: h - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Talking Thanks for the excellent DIY project!

Excellent write-up and photos. I had wondered about how much room was back there, but I never measured it out. This might help to save some money on long trips.

doane2u did have a good point about rough edges. I'd recommend taking a 1/4" roundover router bit around the edges of the wood, maybe even gluing black felt over the entire panel (or at least the edges). If you don't have a router, palm sanders are pretty cheap and work well with rough grit sandpaper.

If you wanted to keep the metal parts on permanent, you can use T-nuts instead of wingnuts to keep everything low-profile and flat (then use shorter bolts w/ a thread locker).

doane2u's Plasti-dip suggestion sounds good too. I haven't used it too often but it should work great over the metal and make the whole thing look store-bought.

If I try this, I might swap out the support straps and make supports to the floor, maybe attached to the main panel with hinges so everything stays together and folds up in storage. Thank you very much for giving me another project to experiment with. Having stuff like this to work on helps my diet by keeping me occupied instead of being a couch potato.

Electronic Hobbyist. Computer Geek. Handyman. Generally an all-around DIY'er with a nuclear propulsion background.

2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport in Magnetic Grey Metallic as of 5/10/2012.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM

For a cargo bed approach ... I have a photo of an "insertable" plywood platform I made for mine for our dogs / cargo. 1/4" marine plywood with 1/2 * 3.5 inch oak stiffeners underneath. Am pending receipt of a 1/8" thick 'diamond plate' rubber mat that is 48" wide - to cut to fit the "T" shape. Exterior coated with West Marine epoxy to provide a glasslike finish. Insert over a drop cloth to provide added protection to seatbacks.
#13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 AM

Ahhhh...now I remember what life was like before kids. You, my friend, have a lot of spare time. Seriously, I used to love projects like this. All a thing of the past now. If I can keep gas and oil checked I'm doing good. Really nice write up!

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page